Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brendan Smith Needs to be Re-Signed

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

Brendan Smith Needs to be Re-Signed

I was ready to let him hit free agency as a pure rental at the deadline. That grew to straddling a fence closer to the start of the playoffs. After game four, I'm convinced they need him for the immediate future.

They can largely reinvent their entire top-four next season by keeping Smith, IMO. Shattenkirk is just a matter of time in my eyes (as is a Girardi buyout), so if they manage to extend Smith to a reasonable deal—say $10M over three years, give or take on dollars—they can likely go into next season with a completely mobile, completely interchangeable top-four of McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Skjei, and Smith.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Girardi's deal becomes a M-NTC as of 7/1/17 so he is tradeable. You might hafta do bad contract for bad contract or eat some of his money to trade him or maybe both.
    THANK YOU, FOKK YOU, BYE!!!!

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    That defeats the purpose of removing him. If you are swapping his $5.5M for another $5M~ contract, you run out of money quick once you account for raises. At the very least, it assures the Rangers will not have room to make Shattenkirk an offer.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Gimme
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    I would take him back without question.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Word. Bye Klein

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I was ready to let him hit free agency as a pure rental at the deadline. That grew to straddling a fence closer to the start of the playoffs. After game four, I'm convinced they need him for the immediate future.

They can largely reinvent their entire top-four next season by keeping Smith, IMO. Shattenkirk is just a matter of time in my eyes (as is a Girardi buyout), so if they manage to extend Smith to a reasonable deal—say $10M over three years, give or take on dollars—they can likely go into next season with a completely mobile, completely interchangeable top-four of McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Skjei, and Smith.
    I said this in another thread, but I'd sign up for that top four right now. Even Staal in the bottom pair and that's very very solid.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

//reported Junior Division
    Dude has already proven he's a warrior. Def on board for re-signing Smith.

Senior Member Mite Division pws85nyr's Avatar
    He has definitely raised his game at the right time of year, and I would like the move subject to money and years. Would make the 2nd and 3rd round picks given up much more bearable. I like his grit, but he can skate and get the puck out our end which is something our D had struggled with. The decline of Klein has made this far more likely as things go on IMO.

Staal is my worry, as I think Girardi has actually played ok IMO and certainly outplayed Staal. Plus we would be overloading on lefty's, although granted a few can play the right side.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Bantam Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I said this in another thread, but I'd sign up for that top four right now. Even Staal in the bottom pair and that's very very solid.
    Agree.
    McD - Shatty
    Smith - Skjei
    Staal - UFA

Thats really solid. Need to look for a trade for Staal at some point tho, cant have 5,5m locked on a 3rd pair guy. If we retain salary or something I guess there are teams willing to take him.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    TBH Girardi has been excellent in the playoffs and I think there are takers in a trade. I think you might have to ship him for next to nothing, but seeing as how a lot of these younger teams are making a dent in the playoffs and could really use a guy who has been tried and tested in the spring, I think there's a deal to be made. G is slow, but his value in the playoffs as a safe veteran presence who is willing to do some dirty work is something I think there is a market for.

Anyway, yes, all of this sounds good. Smith has been exactly what the team should have gotten at the deadline, and I like that he's got a bit of a nasty edge to his game. Let's hope they don't hand him 5m!

Moderator Junior Division
    Extending him long term has always been part of the plan, at least tentatively. Gorton said as much when he was acquired, but I can't find the quote right now. Just this comment from Dreger.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...35847986450433

Figure Smith will get about $3.5, which is basically a wash with Klein and Clendening coming off the books.

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like the idea of Shatty on the first pair. The guy just isn't a shutdown defender. You're better of partnering him with Staal/Smith, giving him favorable starts and just letting him run the power play. He's 6th amongst WAS defensemen in EV/TOI in the playoffs and just 5th overall despite playing 2:51 per game on the PP.

That's not a good look for a guy we're going to have to give probably 6 x $6.

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like the idea of Shatty on the first pair. The guy just isn't a shutdown defender. You're better of partnering him with Staal/Smith, giving him favorable starts and just letting him run the power play. He's 6th amongst WAS defensemen in EV/TOI in the playoffs and just 5th overall despite playing 2:51 per game on the PP.

That's not a good look for a guy we're going to have to give probably 6 x $6.
    I could be wrong, but my feeling is that if Shatty signs a big deal here it's gonna be rocky.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    I could be wrong, but my feeling is that if Shatty signs a big deal here it's gonna be rocky.
    Two weeks of a slumping power play and people will be all over him lol

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    If you can get him at around $3M you have to do it, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he had a relatively good season again next year and then two more years (30 & 31 years old) where our opinion of him is similar to Klein this year and likely next if we don't part with him. These physical D just break down.

Because of the expansion draft, we'll have to wait until after that to re-sign any UFAs. That might make Smith want to see what the open market has to offer.

Deleted Midget Division
    Reminds me 100% of Dubinsky on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Signing a Dman to a massive contract will always bother me. Unless your Shea Weber, Brent Burns, or Eric Karlsson, there isn't anyone I want for the amount of money Shattenkirk is likely to get.

As mentioned above, I don't even see him as a top pair player here. He's been OKAY with Washington but certainly not good.

All that said, I'm working under the assumption the Ranges will go after him hard and pay him a lot of money and as a second pair guy with Smith or Skjei, that's a good second pairing.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

//reported Junior Division
    Then does Staal play with McD on the top pair?

Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    Then does Staal play with McD on the top pair?
    Skjei or Smith. Staal should be 3rd pair.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast