Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the Worst Contract in the NHL You'd Trade Girardi for One-for-One?

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    I believe that's correct, yes.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I believe that's correct, yes.
    Thanks, learned something new. I just thought the contract didn't count against the cap.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Hey guys girardi threw his first hit tonight...

Sent from my LG-H820 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

BSBH #1 Shitposter
    Hidden Content

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by thecurse0101 View Post
    Hey guys girardi threw his first hit tonight...
    I think Girardi had a good game last night.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    I think Girardi had a good game last night.
    Agreed, played physical and kept things simple. The entire blueline was great except for Holden. Smith had a really really good game

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Agreed, played physical and kept things simple. The entire blueline was great except for Holden. Smith had a really really good game

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Thought Skjei played great, and a lot more physical than the regular season, also. Klein has to be in for Holden in Game 2.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Smith was great. Once he's more acclimated to this system, he could be a really good player. Shown some flashes of jumping into the rush and making plays and I think he'll do that more the longer he's here.

His nice skating really goes well with his strength and nastiness. I think Gorton mentioned when he traded for him that he wouldn't rule out signing Smith long-term after the season, and I can't think of one good reason why he couldn't just get Klein's contract.

I think G's game is probably better suited for the playoffs right now, his lack of skating can be mitigated with the overall more physical/clutch grab nature of the game.. As long as he doesn't turn the puck over he can be fine.

All that said, his contract is a still a heaping pile of shit.
    Last edited by Flynn; 04-13-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    I think G's game is probably better suited for the playoffs right now, his lack of skating can be mitigated with the overall more physical/clutch grab nature of the game.. As long as he doesn't turn the puck over he can be fine.

All that said, his contract is a still a heaping pile of shit.
    If all goes according to plan, we win the cup and Girardi retires on top.

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    We can only hope

I'd be floored to watch a relatively healthy player walk away from the game at the age of 32 with $16M in salary and signing bonuses left on his contract. Not happening.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

I'd be floored to watch a relatively healthy player walk away from the game at the age of 32 with $16M in salary and signing bonuses left on his contract. Not happening.
    Man, Debbie Downer over here...

Ok, option 2. After another deep playoff run for Girardi, he has Buffalo and Toronto on the list of teams he will accept a trade to because they are close to home. Gorts is able to convince them to get into a bidding war with each other because having a veteran warrior on the blueline, with 100+ games of playoff experience, is what those young teams need to take the next step.

Please send G to Toronto.
    G + Grabner + 3rd for Zaitsev and 2nd

Toronto wouldn't want to give up Zaitsev though, so we'd hope that Grabner and a 3rd would be enough to entice them. Gorts works his magic is able to get a 2nd back somehow.

Edit - Kicker is that Zaitsev is RFA and rumored to be asking for 4.5x7 who will be 26 in October. Not the end of the world, but maybe we should stay away from these five, six, seven year deals.

TSN’s Bob McKenzie reported during the game against the Predators that Zaitsev and the Maple Leafs are closing in on a contract extension that could be seven years in length. The speculation was the average could be in the $4.5 million US range, or slightly less than teammate Morgan Rielly’s $5 million AAV.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/30...eal-with-leafs
    Last edited by booze and wingz; 04-13-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Man, Debbie Downer over here...

Ok, option 2. After another deep playoff run for Girardi, he has Buffalo and Toronto on the list of teams he will accept a trade to because they are close to home. Gorts is able to convince them to get into a bidding war with each other because having a veteran warrior on the blueline, with 100+ games of playoff experience, is what those young teams need to take the next step.
    I like to think I know too much about the Leafs and the manner in which they are coached by philosophy (analytics) to accept the idea their front office would ever consider acquiring him as a regular player and not in a cap-for-pick manner like they did others in recent years. Not to mention that's probably out the window given how quickly their rebuild has brought them back to the playoffs.

Maybe Buffalo. Their blue line is awful, and they seem to be stalling in their rebuilding effort. But I'd need to know more about how much stock their front office puts in analytics before I could suggest it as likely.

#NoChillPhil

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    Please send G to Toronto.
    G + Grabner + 3rd for Zaitsev and 2nd

Toronto wouldn't want to give up Zaitsev though, so we'd hope that Grabner and a 3rd would be enough to entice them. Gorts works his magic is able to get a 2nd back somehow.

Edit - Kicker is that Zaitsev is RFA and rumored to be asking for 4.5x7 who will be 26 in October. Not the end of the world, but maybe we should stay away from these five, six, seven year deals.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/30...eal-with-leafs
    Zaitsev is their second best defender. He's not being traded, let alone for Girardi's anchor contact and a UFA-to-be Grabner who they already had and let walk the season before.

Would you trade Skjei and a second for Andrew MacDonald, Matt Read and a third?

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Moderator Junior Division
    I like to think I know too much about the Leafs and the manner in which they are coached by philosophy (analytics) to accept the idea their front office would ever consider acquiring him as a regular player and not in a cap-for-pick manner like they did others in recent years. Not to mention that's probably out the window given how quickly their rebuild has brought them back to the playoffs.

Maybe Buffalo. Their blue line is awful, and they seem to be stalling in their rebuilding effort. But I'd need to know more about how much stock their front office puts in analytics before I could suggest it as likely.

#NoChillPhil

I actually think he'd be a good fit in Buffalo. He'd be an upgrade over Gorges and Falk, at the very least, and he wouldn't play on the first pair since Risto is there. Theoretically, they could go Risto-Bogosian-G down the right side. If nothing else, that can be a tough, competitive group. And, say what you will about his game, but night in and night out for a decade, he's been matched up against the best players in the league. Buffalo has nobody who fits that bill.

And I think intangibles count for something, not to mention the fact that he's played 100 games in the playoffs. He's the type of guy you add after OReilly and Eichel both rip the culture of the team.

We'd almost certainly have to eat some cap, but Kulikov and Franson are both UFAs after this season, clearing up over $7m. Gionta made $4.2 this year and he'll make a lot less or be gone entirely, so they could, in theory, take the contract.

Zaitsev is their second best defender. He's not being traded, let alone for Girardi's anchor contact and a UFA-to-be Grabner who they already had and let walk the season before.

Would you trade Skjei and a second for Andrew MacDonald, Matt Read and a third?
    lol nope

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12