• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Leafs, Zaitsev Working Toward Long-Term Extension

Phil

• 1 month later...
If Skjei has equally as good a year next season, I'd be fine mirroring this deal. Sign him from 23-30 at $4.5M. It'll be incredible value at the peak of his career.

It'd be like having two Ryan McDonaghs.

Talking about Skjei? Do it.

I was yeah. I forget he's considerably younger than G or Staal and would be getting a contract...at 24, not 29 or 30. hahaha.

Jesus christ, yes, lock him up for 7 years.

Shit, give him 8! Or can that only be done to UFAs, not RFAs?

Basically Skjei's next contract...

100%. They've got a year to work with (though he could technically sign July 1st). The problem with waiting is—and let's be real, this is entirely plausible—what if he puts up 50+ points next season? I'd argue he's looking at closer to $5M per season at that rate. It's why I'm a big fan of investing early.

Iirc you can only sign your own player to 8 years. I am unsure if it matters if they are restricted or not.

It's not relevant, no. But with Skjei, who will likely be 24 by the time they talk long-term extension, anything greater than three years buys UFA years, which is why the price goes up.

Archived