Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Does Jesper Fast Bring To This Team?

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I'm not sure I follow. You're saying we offer Vegas a 2nd so that they don't take Fast, and you think they still take him?
    How about this? This best represents my thinking.
    1. Trade Vegas a 3rd rounder to not choose Fast, Lindberg or Grabner.
    or
    2. Trade Vegas a 2nd to not choose Fast, Lindberg, Grabner or Raanta.
    or
    3. Trade Vegas our 1st and they select Girardi who agrees to waive his NMC.

I would love to make one of these trades.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 04-03-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    How about this? This best represents my thinking.
    1. Trade Vegas a 3rd rounder to not choose Fast, Lindberg or Grabner.
    or
    2. Trade Vegas a 2nd to not choose Fast, Lindberg, Grabner or Raanta.
    or
    3. Trade Vegas our 1st and they select Girardi after he agrees to waive his NMC.

I would love to make one of these trades.
    if Vegas goes after someone like Bishop with a huge contract i just find it hard to believe they wouldn't want Raanta

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    didnt Piri see loads of PP time? Point being Fast starts his shifts in the defensive zone mostly and is a + player.
    PP doesn't count towards +/-

Fast is obviously a better defensive player than Pirri, but comparing their +/- just doesn't work I don't think

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    if Vegas goes after someone like Bishop with a huge contract i just find it hard to believe they wouldn't want Raanta
    I def think Vegas would prefer Fast or Lindberg (young, cost-controlled, upside and one is a C) to Raanta. However, Raanta's contract is cheap. The issue with Raanta is he will be a FA in 2018. Raanta is a good choice if they see him like Talbot and extend him, especially if they do not see landing Bishop.

Kreidurrr BSBH Prospect
    There are better and younger options than Raanta despite how good he's been. Grubauer will definitely be one of the picks for Vegas. Probably Calvin Pickard if Colorado chooses to protect Varlamov, but I could even see Varlamov being selected if they think he can overcome his injury struggles.

One of Fast, Grabner or Lindberg definitely goes.

gangsta member Junior Division
    I really hope Fast plays in the playoffs the way he played in 2015. He has shown he can step up when needed more than the other 4th line type guys we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    There are better and younger options than Raanta despite how good he's been. Grubauer will definitely be one of the picks for Vegas. Probably Calvin Pickard if Colorado chooses to protect Varlamov, but I could even see Varlamov being selected if they think he can overcome his injury struggles.

One of Fast, Grabner or Lindberg definitely goes.
    Certainly. Raanta is about the 5th most attractive guy that we'll have to expose.

Those are some good points you bring up about our bottom lines against Montreal. As far as what you said about Fast, I couldn't have said it any better myself. It's funny how many fans dislike a player unless they're scoring goals. It seems like nobody ever looks things like back checking, breaking up passes or helping out on a face off when nobody has cleanly won it and the puck is still hanging around. I think Fast is a scrappy yet smart player that does all the little things that help create scoring chances or keep those plays alive. He's willing to do whatever he has to do to help the team.

Frankly, I can't wait to see a 4th line of Fast-Lind- (Grabner/Vesey/Buch) skate circles around that slow goonish 4th line the Habs put together at the deadline. The 3rd and 4th lines can make a huge difference in the playoffs, where there can be wider mismatches in talent and speed. If we have our top 12 forward healthy for the playoffs, I expect our bottom six to dominate.
    Me too.

But I bet AV puts Glass on that line lol

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Sorry I missed this thread earlier. I'm really dumbfounded by it. Fast is one of the more valuable contracts on the team. He's a 25-30 point 3rd/4th line tweener. He's one of our most trustworthy forwards defensively on the team, very rarely turns the puck over in our zone. He has good quickness on the puck offensively to disrupt plays, is a decent passer and is great at deflecting point shots. He doesn't take bad penalties. He makes less than $1M against the cap and is still an RFA once the contract is up after this year.

He's also the guy you put out at the end of the game protecting a one goal lead. In fact, when AV has shortened the bench late in games to protect a lead, it's always Fast that slots up while Vesey or Buchnevich find themselves on the bench. As a constant critic of AV's in-game coaching strategies, that is one thing he gets consistently right.

I'm just not sure what there is to not like here, or to argue that Pirri or Puempel specifically deserve to be in the lineup over him. Neither Pirri (.32 P/GP) nor Puempel (.36 P/GP) have so clearly out produce Fast (.31 P/GP) that you could consider putting them in over him when you also factor in their deficiencies in other areas.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Sorry I missed this thread earlier. I'm really dumbfounded by it. Fast is one of the more valuable contracts on the team. He's a 25-30 point 3rd/4th line tweener. He's one of our most trustworthy forwards defensively on the team, very rarely turns the puck over in our zone. He has good quickness on the puck offensively to disrupt plays, is a decent passer and is great at deflecting point shots. He doesn't take bad penalties. He makes less than $1M against the cap and is still an RFA once the contract is up after this year.

He's also the guy you put out at the end of the game protecting a one goal lead. In fact, when AV has shortened the bench late in games to protect a lead, it's always Fast that slots up while Vesey or Buchnevich find themselves on the bench. As a constant critic of AV's in-game coaching strategies, that is one thing he gets consistently right.

I'm just not sure what there is to not like here, or to argue that Pirri or Puempel specifically deserve to be in the lineup over him. Neither Pirri (.32 P/GP) nor Puempel (.36 P/GP) have so clearly out produce Fast (.31 P/GP) that you could consider putting them in over him when you also consider their deficiencies in other areas.
    Great point with AV giving him more ice time late for the rookies. Fast is very important especially with a favorable contract. Great post AJ

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Well... in comparison he also gets tons of D zone starts, primary PKer, no PP, important final minute action and relieves Vesey or Buch in 3rd periods with the lead.
    Thanks Drunkski

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Into the bargain, he's really " Fast ".

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    If they sit Fast they can slot Miller down and get Glass 17 minutes a night with Zib and Nash.

I like it.
    Not enough glass

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    The last several minutes of this Montreal-Rangers game shows perfectly what Jesper Fast does so well

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division leetchy2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    The last several minutes of this Montreal-Rangers game shows perfectly what Jesper Fast does so well

Exactly this. Fast was outstanding down the stretch in game 1.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Welp. I'm an idiot, huh?

I'd like to clear my conscious by saying I was dead wrong about Fast and the 4th line in general. They were our most consistent line against Montreal.

I'm not sure what happened between regular season (where I didn't think they were all that useful) and playoffs where they became the line I wanted on the ice the most. I'd like to think the addition of Grabner helped but Fast and Lindberg were awesome, no doubt about it.

Funny how when AV returns to the lines he used at the beginning of the season -- when the Rangers were kicking the most ass -- they suddenly look like a dangerous team again.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Kreidurrr BSBH Prospect
    Played a fantastic series. Blocked a Shea Weber shot like it was nothing. He's good.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    You're not an idiot, no. The playoffs are where quality forth liners and depth players are born. Max Talbot. Brian Boyle. Ruslan Fedotenko, Dominic Moore, etc. Fast appears to be another in the making.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    just an unsung guy that does so much. like an offensive lineman. you don't notice him until he gets called for the hold.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast