• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Video: Should the NHL Go To 3-2-1 Point System?

It doesn't look all that different from the current format in terms of actually changing anything.

No, just calculating the points doesn't look too different. But if it was actually in effect, would teams play the end of close games differently to try to get the 3 points?

As of now, in a tie game teams don't really take risky chances late. They play more conservative, make sure they get at least 1 point, and go for the extra point in OT. Having 3 points at stake may change that. It also rewards teams that win in regulation.

Good point re: tied games late in regulation.

I'd love for more teams to be rewarded to win in regulation, not force the OT. I think this would end up helping the Rangers too. We always seem to go to less OT games than some of our division rivals, but maybe I'm making that up.

Good point re: tied games late in regulation.

I'd love for more teams to be rewarded to win in regulation, not force the OT. I think this would end up helping the Rangers too. We always seem to go to less OT games than some of our division rivals, but maybe I'm making that up.

For a long stretch of games this year, the only difference between the Rangers and Caps was loser points. It's the only difference between the Rangers and Pens now. Both teams have 46 wins but the Pens have 7 more points.

Archived