• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Hockey Thing Took You an Embarrassing Length of Time to "Get"?

Phil

Stealing this from the Dangle podcast where a listener sent in a question saying that it took them an embarrassing amount of time to understand that "Gennies" is slang for "Generals", as in the Oshawa Generals. The question was posed to the guys?what hockey-related thing took them an embarrassing amount of time to get?

This can only result in the best self-deprecating humor, so let's hear it. What took you an embarrassing amount of time to get?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We used to beat kids up that didn't know what off-side was. In Kindergarten.

When I was in Tyke I was pretty good (Started as a forward) I got called up to the Novice Rep. team which was a huge deal, all the kids were 10 and I was 8. I don't remember the details of my first shift but I do remember the coach just screaming at me to get off, I guess I was on the ice for about 3 minutes. I didn't understand that we were supposed to change on the fly. I was waiting for the buzzer to sound like it did in Tyke. lol.

I switched to goalie the next year.

By the age of 10 I already had 4-5 surgeries.

In operating room, mask over mouth and nose, countdown backwards from 100, wake up later.

Around 10 was about the time I was handed my first cup and jockstrap.

When asked if I knew where the cup went, I immediately placed over mouth and nose.

Dad told that story till the day he passed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Habs being a nickname for the Canadiens...

Going further, actually knowing why they're called that; it's short for Les Habitants, a term for french settlers in Quebec.

I know there are a lot of others, but none are coming to me right now.

When I first played NHL 97 or whatever it was on Super Nintendo, the icon under the centers during faceoffs said "SC1, SC2, SC3 and CHK."

I didn't know it was referring to the line and thought every single team had Keith Tkachuk and a bunch of fake computer players.

Stan Neckar.

The c makes a t sound, the k makes an s sound, you carry the extra s sound, a is an a sound (duh) then the r makes the sh. Pretty simple if you ask me.

I still don't understand how they call embellishment and the actual penalty on the same play, like every time. Why the hell isnt it one or the other?

Say you get tripped. But when you hit the ice, you roll and flop and grab your ankle like it's been shattered.

Tripping and embellishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived