Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62

Thread: What If

  1. #1
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,583
    Rep Power
    110

    What If

    What if the Rangers learned their lesson last year and purposely playing poorly enough to secure that 1st wildcard this year?


    #MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  2. #2
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,314
    Rep Power
    351
    That's what I'm hoping!

    According to this: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

    The Rangers are a 91% chance of being WC1.

  3. #3
    #68 Яромир Ягр Junior Division
    Karan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    8,228
    Rep Power
    38
    Quite possibly and also using the opportunity to rest some banged up guys and not rush them back in the line up. They should use these last dozen or so as tune up games for the playoffs basically.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bantam Division BrooklynBoy89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,338
    Rep Power
    14
    I HOPE they are doing their best to wrap up the WC.. But by no means is their play indicating such things.. They have the 3rd best record in the league since February 1st. And they just beat the second best team in the West, in their barn, on the 2nd half of a back to back. They are showing no signs up learning their lesson and not playing to their best ability lol, as much as I wish they would.

    Obviously I hope we continue to just roll along and finish as the W1. I'd even take losing a few here and then getting on a roll the final 3 or 4 games. We are in fine form for the Playoffs in my eyes. 5th best team in the league, all while playing multiple times against 3 of the other top 4 teams in the league. Very impressive season so far form our boys. Can't wait for April.

  5. #5
    #68 Яромир Ягр Junior Division
    Karan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    8,228
    Rep Power
    38
    Regular season doesn't mean much when the playoffs start. That's when the real season begins. It's all about how they come together as a team April onwards and the matchups. It's all well and good about wanting to do the honorable thing and saying it doesn't matter who they play, but it does. Win at any costs even if it means positioning yourself for easier match-ups.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Junior Division
    Blue Heaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    9,688
    Rep Power
    79
    The last thing they would want to do is play poorly on purpose going into the playoffs. Don't want to set in bad habits. I think they just aren't going full throttle, and doing what is given to them. WC1 is pretty much wrapped up now with Pitt/Columbus/Washington opening up 6/7 point lead on the Rangers. Its time for the Rangers to work on the PP during the game, would also consider resting players on a rotating basis.

  7. #7
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,061
    Rep Power
    357
    IMO it's the only viable path to the Conference Final. And it might be the only viable path to the Cup Final, too, given the gauntlet one of PIT, CBJ, and/or WSH need to run to get there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  8. #8
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,583
    Rep Power
    110

    What If

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    The last thing they would want to do is play poorly on purpose going into the playoffs. Don't want to set in bad habits. I think they just aren't going full throttle, and doing what is given to them. WC1 is pretty much wrapped up now with Pitt/Columbus/Washington opening up 6/7 point lead on the Rangers. Its time for the Rangers to work on the PP during the game, would also consider resting players on a rotating basis.
    Not playing full throttle is what I meant by playing poorly


    #MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  9. #9
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,751
    Rep Power
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    What if the Rangers learned their lesson last year and purposely playing poorly enough to secure that 1st wildcard this year?


    #MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Not playing full throttle is what I meant by playing poorly


    #MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Come on, bro. You're too smart for this.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  10. #10
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,583
    Rep Power
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Come on, bro. You're too smart for this.
    Just go with the flow douchebag


    #MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Valriera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,466
    Rep Power
    28
    It's the only way they have a chance to win this year, so they'd be silly not to at least pace themselves and focus on playing well, not necessarily winning. Giving some guys rest right now is a good plan, because I love this team as much as everyone else, but there's a 0% chance we win if we have to go through two of CBJ, PIT, and WSH and the only way to guarantee that doesn't happen is to land in WC1.

  12. #12
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,152
    Rep Power
    101
    The more I think about it, the more i think it would suck going through the Atlantic.

    If the Rangers do that and win the Cup, then there is going to be an asterisk next to it forever. And when we're talking about what this core group has accomplished three years from now when everyone wants to burn everything to the ground the "please, they didn't even have to play WAS/CBJ" arguments will come out in full force.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NEVER NEVER LAND
    Posts
    721
    Rep Power
    6
    People actually believe that professional athletes go into a game thinking it's ok to lose? Unbelievable!!

  14. #14
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,751
    Rep Power
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Just go with the flow douchebag


    #MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Lol
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  15. #15
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,313
    Rep Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    The more I think about it, the more i think it would suck going through the Atlantic.

    If the Rangers do that and win the Cup, then there is going to be an asterisk next to it forever. And when we're talking about what this core group has accomplished three years from now when everyone wants to burn everything to the ground the "please, they didn't even have to play WAS/CBJ" arguments will come out in full force.
    I was actually thinking about this the other day. I think the only way it really works out is if OTT wins the division and we end up as the WC1 spot.
    OTT/NYR
    MTL/BOS

    WAS/TOR
    PIT/CBJ

    Pray Boston takes out MTL. I know you mentioned in the out of town scoreboard thread that you don't think we matchup well against Ottawa though, so really, idk. No road is ever easy to the Conference Final or Cup Final. We're the 5th best team in the league and we're worried about playing our own division. I get it, but LOL.
    Predators > Anaheim > Pens/Sens >>>>>>>>>> NYR Hidden Content

  16. #16
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Valriera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,466
    Rep Power
    28
    Sorry guys but there's zero arguments for the road through the ATL being equally difficult or more difficult than the road through our own division. Zero. I can see Future's perspective on the outlook on the win should it happen, but really I don't give a shit how we get there because you still have to beat four teams to do it. The truth is that this is the hardest trophy to win in sports, and the easiest way for us to win it is to go through the atlantic. Whether or not that's what they're playing for right now is completely up in the air, and obviously nobody likes to lose, but I like to lose less in the playoffs and we're not beating PIT or CBJ and then Washington.

  17. #17
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,152
    Rep Power
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    Pray Boston takes out MTL. I know you mentioned in the out of town scoreboard thread that you don't think we matchup well against Ottawa though, so really, idk. No road is ever easy to the Conference Final or Cup Final. We're the 5th best team in the league and we're worried about playing our own division. I get it, but LOL.
    Well yea, but that's because 3 of the 4 better teams are in our division lol

  18. #18
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,313
    Rep Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Well yea, but that's because 3 of the 4 better teams are in our division lol
    I know I know. I don't want to get steamrolled by the Pens again, but I don't think this team is getting steamrolled in the first round, no matter who they play. Despite what AV might or might not do in the playoffs, the roster players seem to be playing more with an edge. I'm not saying that edge wins games, a series, or the cup, but I don't think they'll get steamrolled by anyone.
    Predators > Anaheim > Pens/Sens >>>>>>>>>> NYR Hidden Content

  19. #19
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,152
    Rep Power
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    I know I know. I don't want to get steamrolled by the Pens again, but I don't think this team is getting steamrolled in the first round, no matter who they play. Despite what AV might or might not do in the playoffs, the roster players seem to be playing more with an edge. I'm not saying that edge wins games, a series, or the cup, but I don't think they'll get steamrolled by anyone.
    Yea I agree with that.

    The Pens are the only team I'd be "scared" of. We just don't match up with them well...they play the same way as the Sens except have a lot more talent.

  20. #20
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,061
    Rep Power
    357

    What If

    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    The more I think about it, the more i think it would suck going through the Atlantic.

    If the Rangers do that and win the Cup, then there is going to be an asterisk next to it forever. And when we're talking about what this core group has accomplished three years from now when everyone wants to burn everything to the ground the "please, they didn't even have to play WAS/CBJ" arguments will come out in full force.
    There's no asterisk needed. No Cup is won that meets some universal standard for difficulty. They're all difficult, even if some are less. 16 postseason wins is never easy no matter the path.

    If the Rangers win because of fortuitous seeding, so be it. The goal is to win. Not to make your path to it as difficult as humanly possible. This logic makes no sense. If that's true, AV should start Glass at 1C for game seven just to say they overcame the adversity of winning despite a bad player in a bad spot.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •