• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

U.S. Women's Hockey Team Will Not Play in World Championships

The U.S. women's national hockey team said Wednesday that it will not participate in the IIHF World Championship beginning on March 31 in Plymouth, Michigan, citing more than a year of stalled negotiations with USA Hockey to secure what players consider fair wages and support.

In the past, USA Hockey has provided the players with $1,000 per month during the six-month Olympic residency period. According to the players, USA Hockey pays virtually nothing during the remainder of the four-year period, despite its expectation that in each of the non-Olympic years, the players train full-time and compete throughout the year.

"It is a full-time job and to not get paid is a financial burden and stress on players obviously. That is the conversation my husband and I are having right now," said player Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson. "Is playing going to be more stress than we can handle? Sadly it becomes a decision between chasing your dream or giving in to the reality of the financial burden."

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/18906681/us-women-hockey-team-sit-world-championships

Unless the men are getting paid substantially more, I don't see how the women have any leverage. Can they make the argument that they're training more than the men and getting paid less? Even then, since it's not a revenue generator, it's a hard case to make.

Plus, US Hockey is funded by beer leaguers and hockey moms. They going to raise fees on those groups to compensate pay raises?

So whats the difference between them and other Olympic Athletes? Im sure all the other sports athletes aren't paid by the US Olympics program either during off seasons, and they have to train as well. Develop a competitive league that generates revenue and you can get paid like NHL players.

Unless the men are getting paid substantially more, I don't see how the women have any leverage. Can they make the argument that they're training more than the men and getting paid less? Even then, since it's not a revenue generator, it's a hard case to make.

Plus, US Hockey is funded by beer leaguers and hockey moms. They going to raise fees on those groups to compensate pay raises?

I'm pretty sure they are making as much, if not more than the men.

The U17, U18, and U20 (WJC) teams don't get paid. Would be a conflict of NCAA rules.

And the men's team participants all have second jobs ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah, sucky situation but I would not be happy having my yearly USA Hockey dues raised. I already find it annoying that I have to pay $50 to volunteer coach.

Much appreciated

You are the core of USA hockey

I've never taken a dime to coach, and to this day pay my way for flights and hotel.

The bantam team I'm taking over next season paid out 15k for 2 coaches :/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
$70,000 a year seems absurdly high.

I agree. I don't get why they have to be paid by USA Hockey when they aren't doing anything with USA hockey until they play in these tournaments or the Olympics. No other Olympic athletes are paid a yearly salary buy the US Olympic committee. I also wonder what this does for college players going forward.

Yea this makes no sense to me. I agree with paying them during Olympic years and for the months where they're training for the Worlds but other than that? I mean, yea, the guys get paid because they're in the NHL. The women who play in the NWHL have that and I am sure all of Team USA play in that league anyway. Good for them though. I just hope my USA Hockey players insurance doesn't start increasing in order to compensate for this.

It's pretty much the equivalent of 100k/year Canadian.

I don't really give a shit, but to me it's a question of where the money comes from. If it's money US hockey has earned through whatever means then it's a private matter and it's their business. If they want to pay hockey players that are objectively not very good, and never will be very good, that much money to play in one meaningful event every 4 years then have at it.

If US Hockey gets government (public) funds then fuck this, it's a bad deal.

It's pretty much the equivalent of 100k/year Canadian.

I don't really give a shit, but to me it's a question of where the money comes from. If it's money US hockey has earned through whatever means then it's a private matter and it's their business. If they want to pay hockey players that are objectively not very good, and never will be very good, that much money to play in one meaningful event every 4 years then have at it.

If US Hockey gets government (public) funds then fuck this, it's a bad deal.

USA hockey has an annual operating budget of approx. 42 million per year.

USA hockey membership fees (girls and boys) account for approx. 90% of that.

Archived