Thread: U.S. Women's Hockey Team Will Not Play in World Championships

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Long live the King's Avatar

U.S. Women's Hockey Team Will Not Play in World Championships

The U.S. women's national hockey team said Wednesday that it will not participate in the IIHF World Championship beginning on March 31 in Plymouth, Michigan, citing more than a year of stalled negotiations with USA Hockey to secure what players consider fair wages and support.
    In the past, USA Hockey has provided the players with $1,000 per month during the six-month Olympic residency period. According to the players, USA Hockey pays virtually nothing during the remainder of the four-year period, despite its expectation that in each of the non-Olympic years, the players train full-time and compete throughout the year.

"It is a full-time job and to not get paid is a financial burden and stress on players obviously. That is the conversation my husband and I are having right now," said player Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson. "Is playing going to be more stress than we can handle? Sadly it becomes a decision between chasing your dream or giving in to the reality of the financial burden."
    http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/art...-championships

Moderator Midget Division
    Unless the men are getting paid substantially more, I don't see how the women have any leverage. Can they make the argument that they're training more than the men and getting paid less? Even then, since it's not a revenue generator, it's a hard case to make.

Plus, US Hockey is funded by beer leaguers and hockey moms. They going to raise fees on those groups to compensate pay raises?

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    So whats the difference between them and other Olympic Athletes? Im sure all the other sports athletes aren't paid by the US Olympics program either during off seasons, and they have to train as well. Develop a competitive league that generates revenue and you can get paid like NHL players.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Unless the men are getting paid substantially more, I don't see how the women have any leverage. Can they make the argument that they're training more than the men and getting paid less? Even then, since it's not a revenue generator, it's a hard case to make.

Plus, US Hockey is funded by beer leaguers and hockey moms. They going to raise fees on those groups to compensate pay raises?
    I'm pretty sure they are making as much, if not more than the men.
    The U17, U18, and U20 (WJC) teams don't get paid. Would be a conflict of NCAA rules.

And the men's team participants all have second jobs

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Yeah, sucky situation but I would not be happy having my yearly USA Hockey dues raised. I already find it annoying that I have to pay $50 to volunteer coach.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Yeah, sucky situation but I would not be happy having my yearly USA Hockey dues raised. I already find it annoying that I have to pay $50 to volunteer coach.
    Much appreciated
    You are the core of USA hockey

I've never taken a dime to coach, and to this day pay my way for flights and hotel.

The bantam team I'm taking over next season paid out 15k for 2 coaches :/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk