Thread: Who Sits When We're Healthy?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division leetchy2's Avatar

Who Sits When We're Healthy?

Looks like we have 7 starting d-men once Klein & Girardi return. So who sits and what are the pairings? Or do the pairings change depending on our opposition (physical team vs. fast team)? I can't see Skjei or Holden ever being the odd man out. Of course MacD is a lock. So which one of the following is a healthy scratch: Smith, Staal, Girardi or Klein?

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    It will be Holden

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Moderator Junior Division
    I bet Klein doesn't play again this year, Kampfer's out when G returns.

His name is... BSBH Prospect
    I think Klein comes back for the last week, and I agree Holden sits.

Klein hasn't even skated yet, as far as I can tell, and it's only been about 3 weeks since his injury. Buchnevich was out for 2 months with "back spasms." Hard to imagine Klein being out that long and then being in any sort of shape for the playoffs.

And he hasn't been better than Holden this year, so I have a hard time seeing him back in the lineup. Maybe, should someone else get hurt or need a day off, but I bet he's the 7, at best, in the playoffs.
    Last edited by Future; 03-15-2017 at 12:11 PM.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    I would sit Klein and put Girardi on the 3rd pair getting about 17:00 a night. Kampfer comes out.

//reported Junior Division
    If Klein sits, the pairings look something like this?

McD - G
    Staal - Smith
    Skjei - Holden

Kampfer goes back to the A and we just roll with 5 LHD and sit Clendenning and Klein?
    Predators > Anaheim > Pens/Sens >>>>>>>>>> NYR Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    If Klein sits, the pairings look something like this?

McD - G
    Staal - Smith
    Skjei - Holden

Kampfer goes back to the A and we just roll with 5 LHD and sit Clendenning and Klein?
    I agree with Dave that I'm putting G with Skjei and not tinkering too much. At this point, who cares how many RHD we have? What difference does it make when you've got three guys who can play either side.

I'm not touching Staal-Mac, they're both playing their best hockey of the year right now.
    Smith-Holden is a nice, mobile pair and neither has had a - rating over the last 5 games. Combined, they're a +4. Over

Kreidurrr BSBH Prospect
    I agree with going:

Staal - McDonagh
    Smith - Holden
    Skjei - Girardi

I'm not sure it happens though given Skjei and Girardi's differing OZ%. They're on the opposite ends of the spectrum. I'd be slightly tentative when it comes to starting Girardi in the offensive zone more. I'd be surprised to not see Girardi on the top line given Vigneault's tendencies, but I'd be perfectly willing to settle for:

Staal - McDonagh
    Smith - Girardi
    Skjei - Holden

Smith is still fast enough to cover up any Girardi miscues and Skjei - Holden could probably be pretty solid especially offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    I agree with going:

Staal - McDonagh
    Smith - Holden
    Skjei - Girardi

I'm not sure it happens though given Skjei and Girardi's differing OZ%. They're on the opposite ends of the spectrum. I'd be slightly tentative when it comes to starting Girardi in the offensive zone more. I'd be surprised to not see Girardi on the top line given Vigneault's tendencies, but I'd be perfectly willing to settle for:

Staal - McDonagh
    Smith - Girardi
    Skjei - Holden

Smith is still fast enough to cover up any Girardi miscues and Skjei - Holden could probably be pretty solid especially offensively.
    A Smith-Girardi pairing could be interesting depending on opponent, actually. I could see them used against teams, especially in the playoffs, who have a heavy line that isn't their top end forwards. I've liked Smith's physical game and Girardi plays that style as well. They might do well against lines that look to grind you down, where the best defense is just handling their punishment, giving some back and chipping the puck out to keep a long, grinding shift from maintaining too much zone time.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    A Smith-Girardi pairing could be interesting depending on opponent, actually. I could see them used against teams, especially in the playoffs, who have a heavy line that isn't their top end forwards. I've liked Smith's physical game and Girardi plays that style as well. They might do well against lines that look to grind you down, where the best defense is just handling their punishment, giving some back and chipping the puck out to keep a long, grinding shift from maintaining too much zone time.
    Agreed, against WAS and CBJ that could work. Against Pitt, you'd probably have to break them up.

I'm having trouble deciding what to make of Smith. It seems like he's a good skater, but he never seems to play very fast. Maybe that's a credit to him, but it's hard to say. I do like the toughness he plays with around the net though, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Agreed, against WAS and CBJ that could work. Against Pitt, you'd probably have to break them up.

I'm having trouble deciding what to make of Smith. It seems like he's a good skater, but he never seems to play very fast. Maybe that's a credit to him, but it's hard to say. I do like the toughness he plays with around the net though, for sure.
    I feel like he's a good skater as far as lateral movement, stopping and starting. What I've noticed is that he only seems to hustle when he thinks he really needs to. I've seen on more than one occasion when the puck was sent into our zone, he'd let his partner go get it while he sorts of coasts into the zone. This is when there's no real pressure against, but he doesn't seem to be in a rush to get into his position so the partner has an out waiting and can start their break out quicker, that sort of thing.

I haven't seen him get beaten. I haven't seen him shy away from any type of play in any zone. Just...like if it was Skjei instead of him, he'd be skating in quick to retrieve the puck first or be ready as a release valve.

His name is... BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Klein hasn't even skated yet, as far as I can tell, and it's only been about 3 weeks since his injury. Buchnevich was out for 2 months with "back spasms." Hard to imagine Klein being out that long and then being in any sort of shape for the playoffs.

And he hasn't been better than Holden this year, so I have a hard time seeing him back in the lineup. Maybe, should someone else get hurt or need a day off, but I bet he's the 7, at best, in the playoffs.
    I don't know that Klein is necessarily even that badly injured. I would not be surprised if they're letting him rest since they got Smith, hence why I say he comes back the last week and is then ready Togo for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN View Post
    I don't know that Klein is necessarily even that badly injured. I would not be surprised if they're letting him rest since they got Smith, hence why I say he comes back the last week and is then ready Togo for the playoffs.
    Eh, maybe. This is too long of a stretch for that I think.

He's almost certainly got a disc issue