• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

P.K. Subban: ?One day I?d love to be the commissioner of the NHL?

Phil

Not that I disagree with him really, but hockey is nowhere near as physical as football.

Have to agree here. Growing up playing hockey I always thought it was on par with football.

But after seeing my son play let 10 years or so, I realize football is at a different level of physical grind. (Per game )

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Have to agree here. Growing up playing hockey I always thought it was on par with football.

But after seeing my son play let 10 years or so, I realize football is at a different level of physical grind. (Per game )

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I guess you could make a case that a physical defenseman plays a more taxing game than, say, a small WR. And I think the 82+ game season can take the same toll.

But in general, its almost laughable. I think people don't realize how big NFL players are. Dustin Byfuglien is, what, 270 and is by far the biggest guy in the NHL. He doesn't even qualify to play 9 or 10 positions on the football field even at the D-1 college level. I mean, Scott Stevens who might be the hardest hitter to ever play the game, is smaller than Tony Romo.

I guess you could make a case that a physical defenseman plays a more taxing game than, say, a small WR. And I think the 82+ game season can take the same toll.

But in general, its almost laughable. I think people don't realize how big NFL players are. Dustin Byfuglien is, what, 270 and is by far the biggest guy in the NHL. He doesn't even qualify to play 9 or 10 positions on the football field even at the D-1 college level. I mean, Scott Stevens who might be the hardest hitter to ever play the game, is smaller than Tony Romo.

It's insane how big they are now. The Redskins in the early 90's had a offensive line nicknamed the "hogs", who were just massive.

Their average weight was 270

My 15 year old plays noseguard/left tackle, (I had to ask him), weighs 260....and isn't considered one of the very big guys on his high school team.

It's insane how big they are now. The Redskins in the early 90's had a offensive line nicknamed the "hogs", who were just massive.

Their average weight was 270

My 15 year old plays noseguard/left tackle, (I had to ask him), weighs 260....and isn't considered one of the very big guys on his high school team.

That's pretty big for a 15 year old lol. But if he's a varsity player I wouldn't expect that he's very big.

For comparison, I played semi-pro the last few years and this summer (5 11, 280) and played DE/RT. On offense, I was about 20 lbs lighter than everyone else, and these are all just regular freaking guys.

Archived