Thread: Favorite Stanley Cup Winning Teams

swamped Midget Division

Favorite Stanley Cup Winning Teams

Yes, I know your favorite Stanley Cup Winning Team is the 1994 Rangers. Ignoring all Ranger Cup winning teams, what are your favorite Stanley Cup winning teams, and why?

Mine:
    1996-7 Detroit Red Wings - Stever Yzerman, Sergei Federov, Nicklas Lidstrom, Igor Larionov, Brendan Shanahan. So much offensive skill on the ice, controlling the puck, fun to watch. Darren McCarty, Joey Kocur, some serious thumpers if the game got nasty.

1988-9 Calgary Flames - Hakan Loob, Doug Gilmour, Al MacInnis, Theo Fleury, Gary Roberts. Because the franchise has had so many disappointing and forgettable years, glad they got a cup

2000-1 Colorado Avalanche, because Ray Bourque won the Stanley Cup

Oddly, two of these three had Mike Vernon as goalie.

1998-1999 would have been great if Buffalo Sabres and Hasek could have taken out the Stars
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Moderator Junior Division
    I really liked LAK the first time around...

//reported Junior Division
    '94 Rangers
    /thread

Lol.

2012 Kings were amazing to watch. That run was just special. Eighth seed who lost four games all postseason.

If I take off my Rangers-tinted-glasses, last year's Pens were also pretty fun to watch and another good story. Mid-season coaching change, all of the youth playing "big" roles at the end of the season. Matt fucking Murray.

'96 Avs.

Senior Member Bantam Division paddynyc's Avatar
    The Ray Bourque Colorado Avalanche cup
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    '94 Rangers
    /thread

Lol.

2012 Kings were amazing to watch. That run was just special. Eighth seed who lost four games all postseason.

If I take off my Rangers-tinted-glasses, last year's Pens were also pretty fun to watch and another good story. Mid-season coaching change, all of the youth playing "big" roles at the end of the season. Matt fucking Murray.

'96 Avs.
    That "8th seed" was 2 points from being a 3 seed.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Still, they went 16-4 in the post season and it was pretty fun to watch.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    2016/17 New York Rangers

Every one thought they were stupid for "failing" to hold onto the 1st Wild Card to avoid the Metropolitan Division and match up with Montreal in the first round, instead pushing out Columbus. That set up a first round battle with the defending Champion Pittsburgh Penguins. Well, they beat the Penguins in 6, then defeated Washington in 5. They still got their match up with Montreal coming out of Atlantic in the Conference Final, going to that thrilling game 7 double OT where Kreider fittingly scored the series winning goal, after a lengthy review showed he was pushed into Carey Price (who is now out for all of next season) and that the puck crossed the line before the net came dislodged.

Then to win the Cup in 5 games on home ice against the LA Kings, themselves on another improbable run from their 8th seed finish, to mirror the 2014 Stanley Cup Final? You can't make that shit up.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Didn't they have to win like a million games in a row at the end of the season to get in?

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Didn't they have to win like a million games in a row at the end of the season to get in?
    Yeah, they went on a tear at the end of the regular season.
    11-4-3 in March and April.

swamped Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    2016/17 New York Rangers

Every one thought they were stupid for "failing" to hold onto the 1st Wild Card to avoid the Metropolitan Division and match up with Montreal in the first round, instead pushing out Columbus. That set up a first round battle with the defending Champion Pittsburgh Penguins. Well, they beat the Penguins in 6, then defeated Washington in 5. They still got their match up with Montreal coming out of Atlantic in the Conference Final, going to that thrilling game 7 double OT where Kreider fittingly scored the series winning goal, after a lengthy review showed he was pushed into Carey Price (who is now out for all of next season) and that the puck crossed the line before the net came dislodged.

Then to win the Cup in 5 games on home ice against the LA Kings, themselves on another improbable run from their 8th seed finish, to mirror the 2014 Stanley Cup Final? You can't make that shit up.
    Make it so
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Kreidurrr BSBH Prospect
    2007 Ducks were fun to watch.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    I really enjoyed the 05-06 Oilers run, even though the Canes won.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

His name is... BSBH Prospect
    The 08 Wings and the 13 Blackhawks are my favorite non-Ranger cups. Every other one in my life time has either annoyed or disappointed me.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    08 Wings was first Euro captain, right? I remember all the silly xenophobic nonsense permeating that season about how you couldn't have a Euro captain and win. Then Lidström was like hey fucked, Don Cherry.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

His name is... BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    08 Wings was first Euro captain, right? I remember all the silly xenophobic nonsense permeating that season about how you couldn't have a Euro captain and win. Then Lidström was like hey fucked, Don Cherry.

Yep. All the more reason I enjoyed it, I'm sure. It was also peak Datsyuk, which is just the best.