• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Adidas Seeks Buyer for CCM Hockey

HERZOGENAURACH, Germany ? Adidas says it's putting the CCM Hockey brand up for sale.

The German sports equipment and apparel giant made the announcement Wednesday as it reported its fourth-quarter and year-end results for 2016.

The company reported a 14.3 per cent decline in net sales for CCM Hockey last year compared to 2015, and a bigger drop of 21.6 per cent in the fourth quarter compared to the same period a year earlier.

Now headquartered in Montreal, CCM Hockey can trace its roots to its founding in September 1899 in Weston, Ont., as Canada Cycle & Motor Co. Ltd.

In 2004, CCM Hockey was bought by Reebok, which was acquired by Adidas two years later.

http://www.tsn.ca/adidas-seeks-buyer-for-ccm-hockey-1.690947

Failure of it is probably on poor marketing by CCM. Some of the biggest names in hockey use the company. I didn't even realize it. Crosby. Price. Tavares. McDavid. Bergeron. Burns. Doesn't even matter how good the equipment is. They should be using those names as selling points constantly.

Failure of it is probably on poor marketing by CCM. Some of the biggest names in hockey use the company. I didn't even realize it. Crosby. Price. Tavares. McDavid. Bergeron. Burns. Doesn't even matter how good the equipment is. They should be using those names as selling points constantly.

Agree. I don't think I've ever seen Ccm advertise

CCM advertised a ton with Ovechkin when he was using all of their gear. And by "advertised" I mean ads in hockey magazines and things around rinks - the hockey market is small.

After he left CCM, it's been pretty quiet from them.

Personally, my CCM Tacks from like 12 years ago are still going strong and are absolutely fucking fantastic.

CCM advertised a ton with Ovechkin when he was using all of their gear. And by "advertised" I mean ads in hockey magazines and things around rinks - the hockey market is small.

After he left CCM, it's been pretty quiet from them.

Personally, my CCM Tacks from like 12 years ago are still going strong and are absolutely fucking fantastic.

But like now they have all of these guys that are still just as big names as Ovechkin. They've always had Crosby because he was Reebok and then added a bunch of other big names. That's shit they should be using.

Is CCM stuff...good?

I haven't been playing hockey long so never used it but I went with brands I trusted when I got stuff.

I assume it's high quality, but you never really know.

Sure. They used to be the shit back in the day. I think that they didn't adapt too well to new technology over time though.

But like now they have all of these guys that are still just as big names as Ovechkin. They've always had Crosby because he was Reebok and then added a bunch of other big names. That's shit they should be using.

I agree. I can't explain the decision or lack of decision, but it's just what it is.

I think that the hockey market is very momentum based and they lost a ton of momentum when the Easton/Bauer were the most popular composite sticks. If I recall correctly, they were pretty late to market with the Vector stick line after Easton came out with the Synergy. Around the same time, Bauer was making better helmets than CCM. The CCM skates got overshadowed by Bauer as well I believe.

It's not even the fact that CCM is necessarily failing; Selling CCM has been in the cards for a while because hockey doesn't pull the same kind of profit margins the huge companies like Nike expect. Nike sold Bauer, a then successful brand because of that reason. Adidas will remain an apparel company and will make money off jerseys which have the kind of profit margins they want, which is the same thing Nike did with the olympic uniforms.

I think the negative effects on the hockey market are largely to blame on Bauer, which has done a lot of shitty practices like driving up the prices of gear for the sake of shareholders, forcing retailers to buy more product that doesn't necessarily sell, and their bonehead decision to open their own retail outlets that competed with the regular shops. I think all companies need to narrow their offerings and bring the prices a bit closer to sanity and things will get better.

Archived