Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 128

Thread: Should the Rangers Move Stepan in the Offseason?

  1. #21
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,501
    Rep Power
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by !br-avery! View Post
    You forgot Glass
    Right, we're going to have hope he takes a home town discount of 5 years, $2M per year. We still have $100K in cap space.

  2. #22
    Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    13,813
    Rep Power
    125
    I've moved the posts to a new thread as opposed to using the old one to avoid any confusion.

  3. #23
    🔴⚪️🔵 BSBH Prospect
    !br-avery!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    11,678
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Right, we're going to have hope he takes a home town discount of 5 years, $2M per year. We still have $100K in cap space.
    I mean AV will find a way to get him on the roster,I hope you can change his mind.

  4. #24
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,664
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Ok, I used CapFriendly GM tool. Here's what I assumed:

    Salary Cap at $74M ($1M up over this year, under the average of $2M per season since the last CBA)

    Trade Stepan for Vatanen
    Sign Shattenkirk for $7M
    Vegas claims Raanta
    Trade Klein to Vegas for future consideration
    Re-sign Fast at $2M
    Re-sign Lindberg at $1.5M
    Re-sign Puempel at $900K
    Re-sign Hellberg at $750K
    Buyout Girardi

    Kreider - Zib - Buch
    Nash - Miller - Grabner
    Vesey - Hayes - MZA
    Puempel - Lindberg - Fast

    McDonagh - Shattenkirk
    Skjei - Vatanen
    Staal - Holden

    Hank
    Hellberg

    $2.1M in available cap space for spares.

    Dave wins the GM of the Year Award.
    That would be awesome but I feel like there's just no way it's going to play out like that lol.

  5. #25
    Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    13,813
    Rep Power
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Ok, I used CapFriendly GM tool. Here's what I assumed:

    Salary Cap at $74M ($1M up over this year, under the average of $2M per season since the last CBA)

    Trade Stepan for Vatanen
    Sign Shattenkirk for $7M
    Vegas claims Raanta
    Trade Klein to Vegas for future consideration
    Re-sign Fast at $2M
    Re-sign Lindberg at $1.5M
    Re-sign Puempel at $900K
    Re-sign Hellberg at $750K
    Buyout Girardi

    Kreider - Zib - Buch
    Nash - Miller - Grabner
    Vesey - Hayes - MZA
    Puempel - Lindberg - Fast

    McDonagh - Shattenkirk
    Skjei - Vatanen
    Staal - Holden

    Hank
    Hellberg

    $2.1M in available cap space for spares.

    Dave wins the GM of the Year Award.
    Why does Anaheim take Stepan when they have Getzlaf and Kesler as a 1-2 when none of them can really shift to the wing?

  6. #26
    Exiled from Connecticut Squirt Division TheDozen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    428
    Rep Power
    7
    Yeah, with Vermette under contract for next season and Rakell able to play center, that position is not a big area of need for the Ducks.

  7. #27
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,747
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    Why does Anaheim take Stepan when they have Getzlaf and Kesler as a 1-2 when none of them can really shift to the wing?
    Because both are older than Stepan, maybe.

    I can see Future's point about downgrading at center if you trade Stepan not for someone similar.
    I'm not sure if Hayes is really a second line center, so maybe we could find one in FA, but we're already going after Shattenkirk in FA, right? (I have a fucking feeling that the Caps are gonna resign him). If Stepan gets us our cost-controlled, stellar RHD, then I think we move him and pray to do something down the center, but I'd rather keep Stepan and use Nash or Zucc to try and upgrade RHD.

    One of our strong suits is forward depth; moving Stepan leaves a larger hole than moving either Nash or Zucc.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

  8. #28
    Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    13,813
    Rep Power
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    Because both are older than Stepan, maybe.

    I can see Future's point about downgrading at center if you trade Stepan not for someone similar.
    I'm not sure if Hayes is really a second line center, so maybe we could find one in FA, but we're already going after Shattenkirk in FA, right? (I have a fucking feeling that the Caps are gonna resign him). If Stepan gets us our cost-controlled, stellar RHD, then I think we move him and pray to do something down the center, but I'd rather keep Stepan and use Nash or Zucc to try and upgrade RHD.

    One of our strong suits is forward depth; moving Stepan leaves a larger hole than moving either Nash or Zucc.
    Agreed. Nash or Zucc probably don't pull as large a return, but I think one of them would be more likely to move. Nash especially. I think Nash definitely gets moved somewhere at 50%.

  9. #29
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,747
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    Agreed. Nash or Zucc probably don't pull as large a return, but I think one of them would be more likely to move. Nash especially. I think Nash definitely gets moved somewhere at 50%.
    They won't.
    But if we move either one for a top 4 RHD, we've upgraded the blueline already and I feel like the team can replace Nash's production. He's underperforming this year, so losing his points isn't a huge pill to swallow.

    With that being said, IDK where the trade is.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

  10. #30
    Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Ranger Lothbrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,506
    Rep Power
    107
    I said it at the beginning of the year when the team was putting up 5 goals a game, and I'll say it again now even though they're struggling to put up 1 goal a game lately: yes. He's the most tradable asset we have. We absolutely MUST find a way to do something about the defense. We don't have a hell of a lot of futures to deal to do it. We don't have any quick fixes coming up in the system either. In theory, Hayes could be moved back to center and we'd be fine. Zibanejad-Miller-Hayes-Lindberg is fine. We don't have an option like that for our defense. There's no amount of lineup musical chairs that fixes it.

    I wouldn't trade Zook, personally, even though he's highly tradable. He's way too beloved by the fans and he tries too damned hard. It just sends the wrong message. Right now he's literally the only guy on the team playing with any heart. Stepan, however, appears to be good for about 50 points a season, and he gets there through hot streaks and cold streaks. Not consistent, reliable play. Additionally, we have yet to find wingers that have any success with him. We've tried a lot: Zook, Nash, Kreider, etc. It just seems like he's on an island out there. He doesn't appear to make the players around him better.

    Of course there's all the usual rhetoric of intangibles, two-way play, forward depth, powerplay puck movement, etc. But as we've seen, you absolutely have to give to get. We don't have a hell of a lot to give. And we absolutely, positively NEED to get a defense fix if we're going to have any continuing illusions of winning while our starting goalie is still Henrik Lundqvist. Anything short of a drastic overhaul of the defense, and you can lock us in for a similar result as last postseason, and likely the result we're going to get this postseason too.

  11. #31
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,372
    Rep Power
    366
    Colorado in a blockbuster trade for Duchene.

    I'm kidding. Kind of.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  12. #32
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,107
    Rep Power
    45
    Calgary for Hamilton?
    Winnipeg for Trouba?
    Edmonton for RNH?
    Vancouver for a boatload of picks/prospects?
    Tampa for Drouin?

    Do they HAVE to get a young player back? How about an older player who contract is going to expire, yet is really damn good? I can't think of anyone, but maybe a rental of a superstar would work best for this team?

  13. #33
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,747
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Colorado in a blockbuster trade for Duchene.

    I'm kidding. Kind of.
    Apparently Sakic was asking for a roster player, prospect, and a first round pick for Duchene. I don't think Stepan gets us MattDu, but Stepan+ probably would.

    Though, I'd hate to send Step to COL; I'd simply feel bad for him.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

  14. #34
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,747
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Calgary for Hamilton?
    Winnipeg for Trouba?
    Edmonton for RNH?
    Vancouver for a boatload of picks/prospects?
    Tampa for Drouin?

    Do they HAVE to get a young player back? How about an older player who contract is going to expire, yet is really damn good? I can't think of anyone, but maybe a rental of a superstar would work best for this team?
    Calgary has Backlund, Bennett, Lazar, Stajan, and Freddie Hamilton down the middle. I don't think Stepan helps them.
    Jets have six centers, including Scheifle, Little, Perreault, and Lowry. I don't think they could use Stepan either.
    EDM is McDavid, Draisaitl (has he been playing center?), Nuge, Letestu. Not sure Stepan for Nuge is equal, but MAYBE that'd shake something up here. Is that a lateral movement?
    Pass on picks/prospects from VAN.
    Pass on Drouin. Stepan and Smith for Hedman, lol. Lemme dream.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

  15. #35
    Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Ranger Lothbrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,506
    Rep Power
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Calgary for Hamilton?
    Winnipeg for Trouba?
    Edmonton for RNH?
    Vancouver for a boatload of picks/prospects?
    Tampa for Drouin?

    Do they HAVE to get a young player back? How about an older player who contract is going to expire, yet is really damn good? I can't think of anyone, but maybe a rental of a superstar would work best for this team?
    I would've thought by now we'd be ready to move away from this line of thinking. We can't continue to manage the team as if there's no tomorrow. The new way of the NHL is when players become too expensive, or outlive their usefulness, you ship them off for future assets. Flipping Stepan for an aging star is just poor asset management. It's the Yandle/MSL/Staal something for nothing trades all over again.

  16. #36
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,372
    Rep Power
    366
    Pass on Drouin? I'd deal half this team for him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  17. #37
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    Shane Falco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    11,693
    Rep Power
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Pass on Drouin? I'd deal half this team for him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk


    Kid's stupid talented.

  18. #38
    Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    13,813
    Rep Power
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Colorado in a blockbuster trade for Duchene.

    I'm kidding. Kind of.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    I love Duchene. I think it would be an upgrade. Duchene's speed in this system would be killer and he'd finally have wingers.

  19. #39
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,747
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Pass on Drouin? I'd deal half this team for him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post


    Kid's stupid talented.
    Is he?
    I don't watch the bolts. Is he a center?
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

  20. #40
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,372
    Rep Power
    366
    Wing. But he's amazing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •