Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rangers to Play Sabres at Citi Field in Winter Classic Next Season?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Yup, coach likes player A. Great way to build a winning program. I'm distracted, but you have yet to give one concrete reason why more people would attend a UB game than a Canisius game. They are literally right next to each other. What is so impressive about the name UB that is going to make attendance explode? If there was this massive interest in college hockey just waiting for UB to have a team, why would they not go watch nationally ranked Canisius while they wait? How do you quantify this "state-wide reach" UB supposedly has?
    Well for starters, UB has an enrollment of 30,000 and Canisius has 4,600. And I don't think being nationally ranked #20 out of 60 schools is really an accomplishment. Not one worth going to see anyways. Plus, the HarborCenter is like 4.5 miles from Canisius' campus. College students don't travel, and they're what make games exciting. UB would need to build an on-campus arena that doesn't require more than a short bus ride, but with such a small campus and enrollment, Canisius doesn't really have the room for it.

UB marketing is everywhere. It has the resources to do that. That's why they went with the whole "University of New York" campaign, or whatever it was.

It's not about the name UB, right now. It's about the reach to be on par with other schools, like UNM, that are synonymous with a region. If I'm 12 living in Amherst and a hockey fan, I'd like to see UB - who has a campus in Amherst and a well-known football and basketball team, even if they suck - than Canisius. It's like that in every state except for maybe Indiana.

tl;dr - Canisius is small and nobody cares about anything there, Buffalo is big and already a name.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Long live the King's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Well for starters, UB has an enrollment of 30,000 and Canisius has 4,600. And I don't think being nationally ranked #20 out of 60 schools is really an accomplishment. Not one worth going to see anyways. Plus, the HarborCenter is like 4.5 miles from Canisius' campus. College students don't travel, and they're what make games exciting. UB would need to build an on-campus arena that doesn't require more than a short bus ride, but with such a small campus and enrollment, Canisius doesn't really have the room for it.

UB marketing is everywhere. It has the resources to do that. That's why they went with the whole "University of New York" campaign, or whatever it was.

It's not about the name UB, right now. It's about the reach to be on par with other schools, like UNM, that are synonymous with a region. If I'm 12 living in Amherst and a hockey fan, I'd like to see UB - who has a campus in Amherst and a well-known football and basketball team, even if they suck - than Canisius. It's like that in every state except for maybe Indiana.

tl;dr - Canisius is small and nobody cares about anything there, Buffalo is big and already a name.
    UB's football stadium - 29,013 capacity. 17,493 average attendance.
    UB's basketball arena - 6,100 capacity. 3,242 average attendance.

Doesn't look like their size and name do much to attract sell out crowds. Maybe they need a new marketing director to solidify this statewide reach.

UB's football stadium - 29,013 capacity. 17,493 average attendance.
    UB's basketball arena - 6,100 capacity. 3,242 average attendance.

Doesn't look like their size and name do much to attract sell out crowds. Maybe they need a new marketing director to solidify this statewide reach.
    Again, you're missing the point.

I'm not saying that either of those programs does. I'm saying that if given $100 million dollars, it could. Besides, attendance isn't a measure of reach.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Long live the King's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Again, you're missing the point.

I'm not saying that either of those programs does. I'm saying that if given $100 million dollars, it could. Besides, attendance isn't a measure of reach.
    So why do you keep going citing Canisius' attendance?

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    So for you guys who have been to outdoor games, how does an average joe go about securing tickets to this game when they become available?

Do I need to be proactive someway, somehow?
    When I went to one of the Stadium Series games, I just bought my tickets on Stubhub the day before. There wasn't an option for eTickets, so I had to go to a StubHub office the morning of the game, but there was one right next to Yankee Stadium.

I also considered going to St. Louis for the Jan2 game and likely would have gone the StubHub route as well.

So why do you keep going citing Canisius' attendance?
    B/c you referenced that they are #20 in the nation, and still nobody goes to see them. So having a good team doesn't really matter.

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    When I went to one of the Stadium Series games, I just bought my tickets on Stubhub the day before. There wasn't an option for eTickets, so I had to go to a StubHub office the morning of the game, but there was one right next to Yankee Stadium.

I also considered going to St. Louis for the Jan2 game and likely would have gone the StubHub route as well.
    Good to know. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    As some one who went to the winter classic in Philly and both stadium series games, I can honestly say that I'm officially over the outdoor games. Maybe it's getting married, being older or just my over all lack of going to hockey games over sitting in my house and watching for free... I'm just not even remotely interested in going to this.
    Careful with that. SG3 will tell you you're less of a fan than him because he can afford season tickets and you can't afford to go to games.

Senior Member Bantam Division sg3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    Careful with that. SG3 will tell you you're less of a fan than him because he can afford season tickets and you can't afford to go to games.
    Get your facts straight

I said "go to a few or even one game" there isn't one local fan who can't afford that can't afford that especially those who can afford a 60 inch HDTV and a couch

Try some honesty

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Get your facts straight

I said "go to a few or even one game" there isn't one local fan who can't afford that can't afford that especially those who can afford a 60 inch HDTV and a couch

Try some honesty
    Of course there are fans that can't afford to go to one game. An 18 year old that has limited $$$, living at home might not be able to afford $200 per ticket to go to a game. One of my co-workers sat in the last row in Sec. 213 for the Montreal game, paid over $200 each. Big difference between able to afford to go to 1 game and a 60 inch TV. You can buy a 60 inch HDTV for $600 and have it for X amount of years, which would be a better cost vs paying $600 for about 3 hours. Going to a hockey game is a luxury at this point so don't friggin demean people who may not afford to go and saying that you're a better fan b/c you can go to X amount of games. Good for you that you can afford it but their are people on this board, in this city, in this state, in this country that can't.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    ^^ Amen, Amen, Amen.

No one has to pay 200 for any one regular season game

Ever

Sorry, couch fan.

Not true

But go ahead

Get your last word in if you wish. Done with this topic

Kreidurrr BSBH Prospect
    Guys. Let's quit the potshots or warnings/infractions will start to be handed out.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345