Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers to Play Sabres at Citi Field in Winter Classic Next Season?

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    This puts pressure on the Sabres to get this rebuild in gear. But it'll be nice to get Eichel on a national platform.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Just the Winter Classic from now on. No more Stadium Series. Too much of a good thing starts becoming routine and we don't want to see the Winter Classic become a ho-hum event.
    It's already happened. Don't forget the "Heritage Classic" too. IMO, the Winter Classic should be en lieu of the All Star Game. All hockey stops for an extended period of time and two teams play outdoors. 3 games a year stinks and I'm already not watching them.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

swamped Midget Division
    Call it the NHL version of revenue sharing, perfected by the NFL. Sure, Rangers-Islanders, Ranger-Devils, and Rangers-Flyers are better matchups.

Buffalo needs the buzz. Buffalo needs the cash. Buffalo gets the payday.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    We should rent it

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    BSBH hockey game? YA'LL GOING DOWN.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    I'm definitely looking to go with my best friend who's a huge Sabres fan now living in northern NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Me and a couple of friends are already making arrangements to go down from Rochester lol
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Call it the NHL version of revenue sharing, perfected by the NFL. Sure, Rangers-Islanders, Ranger-Devils, and Rangers-Flyers are better matchups.

Buffalo needs the buzz. Buffalo needs the cash. Buffalo gets the payday.
    Buffalo doesn't need the buzz, there are plenty of teams - including the Isles and Devils - who could use it more. They're 16th in attendance. It's probably Buffalo b/c it's the 10th anniversary of the first Winter Classic, which was in Buffalo w/ 71k people.

And I don't agree that Rangers vs. any of those teams, except maybe the Flyers, would be better than Rangers vs. Sabres. Plus, you're sleeping on how well Buffalo fans will travel for something like this. It'll be as well attended as any of the Stadium Series games

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    They want to showcase Eichel

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

swamped Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Me and a couple of friends are already making arrangements to go down from Rochester lol

Buffalo doesn't need the buzz, there are plenty of teams - including the Isles and Devils - who could use it more. They're 16th in attendance. It's probably Buffalo b/c it's the 10th anniversary of the first Winter Classic, which was in Buffalo w/ 71k people.

And I don't agree that Rangers vs. any of those teams, except maybe the Flyers, would be better than Rangers vs. Sabres. Plus, you're sleeping on how well Buffalo fans will travel for something like this. It'll be as well attended as any of the Stadium Series games
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Winter_Classic
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Stadium_Series

for list of the outdoor games... for a national game, traditional rivals (esp. at least one original six team) generate more buzz. Winter Classic/Stadium Series is an opportunity for the NHL to try and attract the casual fan, or do what the MLB game of the week did back in the day.

Sabres/Rangers has regional appeal, not national appeal.

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Winter_Classic
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Stadium_Series

for list of the outdoor games... for a national game, traditional rivals (esp. at least one original six team) generate more buzz. Winter Classic/Stadium Series is an opportunity for the NHL to try and attract the casual fan, or do what the MLB game of the week did back in the day.

Sabres/Rangers has regional appeal, not national appeal.
    I don't really understand what you're showing me. Blackhawks vs. Blues has about as much regional and national appeal as you could ask for, and it was the worst TV rated classic ever. Canadiens vs. Bruins has all kinds of appeal and was the second-worst. You can't measure anything about attendance based on what you linked there because we don't know capacity of the stadiums, and Buffalo played in the second-most well attended game anyways.

There is no such thing as "national appeal" in the NHL, except for maybe Original 6 teams (Det vs. Tor). Rangers vs. Sabres will be as good a draw as anything else.

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    They want to showcase Eichel

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Good. It seems as if he gets no hype considering what all of the other rookies are doing.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

swamped Midget Division
    I don't really understand what you're showing me. Blackhawks vs. Blues has about as much regional and national appeal as you could ask for, and it was the worst TV rated classic ever. Canadiens vs. Bruins has all kinds of appeal and was the second-worst. You can't measure anything about attendance based on what you linked there because we don't know capacity of the stadiums, and Buffalo played in the second-most well attended game anyways.

There is no such thing as "national appeal" in the NHL, except for maybe Original 6 teams (Det vs. Tor). Rangers vs. Sabres will be as good a draw as anything else.
    NHL wants to be considered one of the Big Four sports. NFL is solid. NBA is solid. MLB is losing the younger audience (pace of play, so many games) and is becoming more of a regional niche. MLS is gaining ground. College football is really popular. College basketball is fading. There is NASCAR, indycar, tennis, golf, X sports, etc.

It is a crowded sports market. An outdoor game is an opportunity to have a showcase event, and if promoted right you might get a few viewers on TV that normally wouldn't tune into a hockey game.

What is the 45 year old mother of two sports-playing kids going to watch if she doesn't want to watch a movie or a sit-com. Is she more likely to watch Caps-Pens with Ovechkin/Crosby etc or Rangers-Sabres? If she likes the outdoor game, hopefully the family be more likely to go to an arena to watch the local team.

NHL wants to be considered one of the Big Four sports. NFL is solid. NBA is solid. MLB is losing the younger audience (pace of play, so many games) and is becoming more of a regional niche. MLS is gaining ground. College football is really popular. College basketball is fading. There is NASCAR, indycar, tennis, golf, X sports, etc.

It is a crowded sports market. An outdoor game is an opportunity to have a showcase event, and if promoted right you might get a few viewers on TV that normally wouldn't tune into a hockey game.

What is the 45 year old mother of two sports-playing kids going to watch if she doesn't want to watch a movie or a sit-com. Is she more likely to watch Caps-Pens with Ovechkin/Crosby etc or Rangers-Sabres? If she likes the outdoor game, hopefully the family be more likely to go to an arena to watch the local team.
    That mother is not likely to know the difference between the Sabres and Capitals and is just as likely to watch becuase Jack Eichel is cute as she is because Alex Ovechkin has a great slap shot...I mean if this is your argument, then every single outdoor game should be Original 6. The TOR vs. DET game had the highest TV ratings and the greatest attendance.

Plus, the Sabres are the best TV draw in the league (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J.../NHL-RSNs.aspx) along with good attendance. I feel like people - around this board in particular - lump them in with the Canes and Yotes. That's not true. It's the Devils and Isles who belong in that conversation. The Sabres are more on par with the Capitals and Sharks than they are the league's worst draws.

The Devils and Islanders are both in the bottom-5 of attendance and TV ratings. There's just no way that they're a bigger draw than Buffalo. Nobody outside of NY/NJ cares about them.
    Last edited by Future; 03-16-2017 at 11:02 AM.

That mother is not likely to know the difference between the Sabres and Capitals and is just as likely to watch becuase Jack Eichel is cute as she is because Alex Ovechkin has a great slap shot...I mean if this is your argument, then every single outdoor game should be Original 6. The TOR vs. DET game had the highest TV ratings and the greatest attendance.

Plus, the Sabres are the best TV draw in the league (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J.../NHL-RSNs.aspx) along with good attendance. I feel like people - around this board in particular - lump them in with the Canes and Yotes. That's not true. It's the Devils and Isles who belong in that conversation. The Sabres are more on par with the Capitals and Sharks than they are the league's worst draws.

The Devils and Islanders are both in the bottom-5 of attendance and TV ratings. There's just no way that they're a bigger draw than Buffalo. Nobody outside of NY/NJ cares about them.
    And one step further, no one cares if it's the Rangers playing them, outside of the NY/NJ sports market.
    No one from Los Angeles is tuning in to see a "rivalry" game between a playoff team and a bubble team. Marty isn't in the league anymore and it's just not as fun.

I really like getting the Sabres on the national spotlight. Buff is so close to Canada, the hockey has to be instilled in the mind in Buffalo the same way it is in Canada (speculation and I'll stand to be corrected, but until then, I assume this is correct. lol).

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    The winter " classic " ? Now that's a real misnomer, imho. It's become old hat because of the hoopla and hype. Besides, it's March & the playoffs loom as well as the draft and the summer off-season. WTH gives a rat about who plays whom in this game which is eons away? EJ Hradek is the source? Impeccable info.
    Last edited by LONG TIME FAN; 03-16-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post
    I really like getting the Sabres on the national spotlight. Buff is so close to Canada, the hockey has to be instilled in the mind in Buffalo the same way it is in Canada (speculation and I'll stand to be corrected, but until then, I assume this is correct. lol).
    I think that's racist? But also correct, to a degree lol. You also have to realize that "Buffalo" is really a metaphor for upstate itself. When you say Buffalo, you're also including Rochester, Syracuse, Ithaca, and the Adirondacks/Lake Placid - which doesn't have a dense population but has a ton of hockey players.

At one point, two Original 6 teams had captains from Rochester - Callahan and Gionta (MTL) - and Dustin Brown, who is from Ithaca, was w/ LAK. Now, Nick Foligno, who is from Buffalo proper, is CBJ's captain. I think that the NHL really missed out on the opportunity of generating buzz about that, particularly the first three. For two Original 6 teams and a Stanley Cup champion to all have captains from a 100-mile or so radius from non-traditional hockey region is something that should have generated more attention, I think.

It's becoming a lot more of a hockey town with the Harbor Center and everything downtown. I think a good college program nearby would do wonders for hockey in Buffalo, and really the entire state. It's the biggest thing separating Buffalo from, say, Minneapolis, I think. The WJC is there next year, if that does well I think it could have positive long-term effects as well.
    Last edited by Future; 03-16-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Just to be clear here, Futuristic Brohammer, being Canadian is a NATIONALITY, not a race

Your second paragraph - who's fault is that? The NHL's? The American media's?
    I watch a lot of Canadian feeds for games and they LOVE their boys. I don't know any examples, cause IDK where everyone is from, but I'd imagine if these were Canadian boys from 100 square miles, TSN and every other Canadian news outlet would run a story about that, or at least talk about it when the games happen.

Anyway, enough conjecture and assumptions.

Where the fuck has Johnnydollaz been to talk about Evander Kane, who has 39 points in 58 games? Not shabby for a guy who the fans love to chastise.
    Eichel, Okposo, ROR, Ristolainen, and Reinhart - FUN FUN FUN FUN.

I'm down to watch the Rangers play these guys outdoors, then again, I'd be watching if it were outdoors or not.

It's becoming a lot more of a hockey town with the Harbor Center and everything downtown. I think a good college program nearby would do wonders for hockey in Buffalo, and really the entire state. It's the biggest thing separating Buffalo from, say, Minneapolis, I think. The WJC is there next year, if that does well I think it could have positive long-term effects as well.
    Speak of the devil...Niagara is searching for a new coach as of 3/13. We had some good years when I was there around 05-09. Hobey baker candidates. NCAA tournament appearances. Not so good as of late, although Canisius is nationally ranked right now.

And how about Patrick Kane if you want to market players from Buffalo?

Quote Originally Posted by booze and wingz View Post

Just to be clear here, Futuristic Brohammer, being Canadian is a NATIONALITY, not a race

Your second paragraph - who's fault is that? The NHL's? The American media's?
    I watch a lot of Canadian feeds for games and they LOVE their boys. I don't know any examples, cause IDK where everyone is from, but I'd imagine if these were Canadian boys from 100 square miles, TSN and every other Canadian news outlet would run a story about that, or at least talk about it when the games happen.
    Lmao.

Idk who is at fault, or even really if there is anybody to blame. I don't even remember it ever getting any local attention. But that seems like the type of thing that would have a mass appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Speak of the devil...Niagara is searching for a new coach as of 3/13. We had some good years when I was there around 05-09. Hobey baker candidates. NCAA tournament appearances. Not so good as of late, although Canisius is nationally ranked right now.

And how about Patrick Kane if you want to market players from Buffalo?
    Yea but they're kind of middling programs and who have ceilings of Bemidji or St. Cloud. When I say a good college program, I really just mean UB, which isn't even D-1.

The problem with marketing Kane is that the first time he was back in Buffalo after getting drafted he punched a cab driver lol...not to mention the whole sexual assault thing. He wasn't unanimously liked before that anyways. Fwiw, he also just sold his house and doesn't have a home in Buffalo anymore.
    Last edited by Future; 03-16-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Yea but they're kind of middling programs and who have ceilings of Bemidji or St. Cloud. When I say a good college program, I really just mean UB, which isn't even D-1.
    None of that makes any sense

The problem with marketing Kane is that the first time he was back in Buffalo after getting drafted he punched a cab driver lol...not to mention the whole sexual assault thing. He wasn't unanimously liked before that anyways. Fwiw, he also just sold his house and doesn't have a home in Buffalo anymore.
    "Don't forget your roots!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MMj6gmt1JI

lol

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast