Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rangers to Play Sabres at Citi Field in Winter Classic Next Season?

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    None of that makes any sense
    UB should be the big hockey program there, because of its size and location. It would be akin to UMN and be something that attracts the whole region. The other two are more ancillary, less identifiable schools, like Bemidji and St. Cloud. Nobody from Rochester is going to care if Canisius makes the Frozen 4, but UB has the reach to draw that way.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Niagra is Div 1, so for me personally I'm impressed. Not the toughest conference, but still Div 1.

As far as good college D1 programs, there are 6-10 that seem to stand above the rest, and UB would be considered one of them.

I'm guessing Arizona joins that group very soon

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Niagra is Div 1, so for me personally I'm impressed. Not the toughest conference, but still Div 1.

As far as good college D1 programs, there are 6-10 that seem to stand above the rest, and UB would be considered one of them.

I'm guessing Arizona joins that group very soon

What do you mean by that?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Long live the King's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    UB should be the big hockey program there, because of its size and location. It would be akin to UMN and be something that attracts the whole region. The other two are more ancillary, less identifiable schools, like Bemidji and St. Cloud. Nobody from Rochester is going to care if Canisius makes the Frozen 4, but UB has the reach to draw that way.
    A good program is a good program size and location don't matter. If a team wins they attract good players. UB doesn't have a program. If we're just making programs up, Cuse would be 1000x better than UB.

And a high school hockey player in Rochester, seeing Canisius is the Frozen 4, isn't going to think its cool? "Man I really want to play college hockey close to home, but I guess I won't since UB doesn't have a team, even though Canisius is in the Frozen 4."
    Last edited by Long live the King; 03-16-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    By UB....I assumed you were talking Boston University

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    As far as new potential programs, think West Coast.

By UB....I assumed you were talking Boston University
    University at Buffalo

A good program is a good program size and location don't matter. If a team wins they attract good players. UB doesn't have a program. If we're just making programs up, Cuse would be 1000x better than UB.
    You're missing the point. UB not having a program is the problem that I'm talking about. It would be a huge boon to hockey throughout the area. Cuse wouldn't be better because it's not as much of a hockey market and has a much smaller population, though it'd be comparable - and the program itself now is.

You think Canisius or Niagara would be able to recruit nationally? Combined, their arenas hold 4,000 people and they ranked 54th and 56th in attendance last year. Because of their size, they aren't going to have the money to ever build a new arena and develop a hockey program, regardless of if they win some games. UB could do it tomorrow and average 5,000 per game, just like Penn State did...where Pegula bought the arena. Plus, those teams don't have reach to get fans from outside of Buffalo. They don't even get those fans lol. Buffalo would immediately be able to pull fans from Toronto and all over the NE, especially if that's where they focus recruiting.

As far as new potential programs, think West Coast.

I mean yea, but Buffalo will eventually, and Pegula is already rumored to be trying to do it, just like he did at Penn STate.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Hard to compare Penn State with a population of 100k students, to The University of Buffalo

Hard to compare Penn State with a population of 100k students, to The University of Buffalo

What does that have to do with anything?

Senior Member Junior Division
    Dont forget RIT, team has been in D1 since 2005, made the NCAA Tournament in 2016, 2015, and 2010. They have some Western NY appeal

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Dont forget RIT, team has been in D1 since 2005, made the NCAA Tournament in 2016, 2015, and 2010. They have some Western NY appeal
    Not in Buffalo.

They're only an afterthought in Rochester, as it is.

You're missing the point. UB not having a program is the problem that I'm talking about. It would be a huge boon to hockey throughout the area. Cuse wouldn't be better because it's not as much of a hockey market and has a much smaller population, though it'd be comparable - and the program itself now is.

You think Canisius or Niagara would be able to recruit nationally? Combined, their arenas hold 4,000 people and they ranked 54th and 56th in attendance last year. Because of their size, they aren't going to have the money to ever build a new arena and develop a hockey program, regardless of if they win some games. UB could do it tomorrow and average 5,000 per game, just like Penn State did...where Pegula bought the arena. Plus, those teams don't have reach to get fans from outside of Buffalo. They don't even get those fans lol. Buffalo would immediately be able to pull fans from Toronto and all over the NE, especially if that's where they focus recruiting.
    Canisius, the 20th ranked team in college hockey, has players from Florida, Illinois, Wisconsin, California, Quebec, and BC. So yes, they can attract players from outside of the NY, PA, and Michigan bubble. They have developed a hockey program. They already partner with the Sabres and play at their $170M practice facility with state of the art amenities. That is a pretty solid recruiting tool. You think that can't morph into playing big games at the KeyBank Center? Villanova plays in the Wells fargo center. St. John's plays in the Garden. Seton Hall plays in the meadowlands. Canisius doesn't need to build their own arena.

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth Junior Division
    So for you guys who have been to outdoor games, how does an average joe go about securing tickets to this game when they become available?

Do I need to be proactive someway, somehow?

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    This puts pressure on the Sabres to get this rebuild in gear. But it'll be nice to get Eichel on a national platform.
    If they had a competent goaltender they'd be competing for a wildcard. They aren't that far off IMO. Not Cup contenders, but they compete most nights.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    What does that have to do with anything?
    When Guy took the coaching job at Penn State (he was with our team for 5 years and still stayed here during summers).

Everyone knew Penn would quickly become a force.
    Recruitment
    Facilities
    MONEY
    They are a NCAA powerhouse of sports

In no way shape or form does the university in Buffalo compare

Canisius, the 20th ranked team in college hockey, has players from Florida, Illinois, Wisconsin, California, Quebec, and BC. So yes, they can attract players from outside of the NY, PA, and Michigan bubble. They have developed a hockey program. They already partner with the Sabres and play at their $170M practice facility with state of the art amenities. That is a pretty solid recruiting tool. You think that can't morph into playing big games at the KeyBank Center? Villanova plays in the Wells fargo center. St. John's plays in the Garden. Seton Hall plays in the meadowlands. Canisius doesn't need to build their own arena.
    And they are STILL 54TH in attendance. That's not a hockey program, it's an also-ran, when talking about making it a fixture of a region and helping the game itself grow. You're ignoring the fact that I'm not talking about whether or not the team is good, I'm talking about whether or not it has reach. Being 20th and having players (every school gets player from everywhere, but there's no way they have the budget to actively recruit from everywhere. I bet most of their players played junior somewhere close.) has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. You can google their roster all you want to find those guys, it's not like they are helping grow the game in Buffalo. Their top three players - 2 leading scorers and goalie - are from Buffalo, Lancaster, and a grad transfer from Ferris St.

And playing in HarborCenter, which is also home to a number of other teams, isn't even close to the facility they have at - using them again - Bemidji State, which has the Sandford Center. HarborCenter holds like 1,800. If Canisius sold out every game they'd still only rank like 46th in attendance.

What do Villanova, St. John's and SH have to do with anything? They're not D-1 programs, nor are they in Buffalo...nor do they play at Wells Fargo, the Garden or the Meadowlands. You're talking about the bball teams.

When Guy took the coaching job at Penn State (he was with our team for 5 years and still stayed here during summers).

Everyone knew Penn would quickly become a force.
    Recruitment
    Facilities
    MONEY
    They are a NCAA powerhouse of sports

In no way shape or form does the university in Buffalo compare

The Recruitment, Facilities, and Money are all because of Pegula's $100 million donation. He could do the exact same thing in Buffalo tomorrow. UB has basically the same program PSU had before Pegula showed up. I'm sure there are other good coaches out there who could similarly build a program.

Penn State's only "powerhouse" team is football. They're middling in just about everything else, like UB.
    Last edited by Future; 03-16-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    If they had a competent goaltender they'd be competing for a wildcard. They aren't that far off IMO. Not Cup contenders, but they compete most nights.
    Lehner is pretty good. Their defense is horrible.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast