• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

TBL Trade [G] Ben Bishop to LAK for [G] Peter Budaj, [D] Erik Cernak, Draft Picks

Phil

:tweet: @renlavoietva: Lightning trade Ben Bishop to Kings for Erik Cernak, Peter Budaj. Picks too. #tvasports

:tweet: @TSNBobMcKenzie: Official from LA: Bishop and 5th-rd pick in 2017 for Budaj, Erik Cernak, a 7th-rd pick in 2017 and a conditional 2017 pick.

:tweet: @Real_ESPNLeBrun: Tampa Bay will retain some salary in the Bishop trade with the Kings.

Hasn't Budaj been playing well?

And wtf are they gonna do with Bishop? He's gonna back up Quick?

Curious how many teams were interested in Bishop. I was just listening to a podcast last night (don't remember which) and they talked about teams like CGY and umm...shit I wish I remembered more.

Seems like a weird fit for LAK, but I might be way off base.

Hasn't Budaj been playing well?

And wtf are they gonna do with Bishop? He's gonna back up Quick?

Curious how many teams were interested in Bishop. I was just listening to a podcast last night (don't remember which) and they talked about teams like CGY and umm...shit I wish I remembered more.

Seems like a weird fit for LAK, but I might be way off base.

I was wondering the same thing. Has his game fallen that much that he's a backup now?

WTF... heard from various media outlets is the concern is that Quick can't play in back-to-backs... with so many games down the stretch and the Kings just fighting to get into the playoffs, this ensures that LA has good goaltending every night... and with Bishop as a FA he can walk at the end of the year and you go back to the status quo. Still, awful lot to pay when the playoffs are not a guarantee.

If Tampa Bay wanted to trade Bishop to a team from the Western Conference without picking up a very costly backup like Niemi or Lehtonen from the Stars, I guess there weren't just too many interested teams. L.A. needs a strong second goalie shorttime for their worst case scenario, that Quick gets injured again or needs a lot of time to find back into his game. So this trade makes some kind of weird sense, but I don't think the Bolts are fully satisfied.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

WTF... heard from various media outlets is the concern is that Quick can't play in back-to-backs... with so many games down the stretch and the Kings just fighting to get into the playoffs, this ensures that LA has good goaltending every night... and with Bishop as a FA he can walk at the end of the year and you go back to the status quo. Still, awful lot to pay when the playoffs are not a guarantee.

I was wondering why they made this trade and if they are worried about Quick it makes sense and he did look good on Saturday against the Ducks

Article from nhl.com - https://www.nhl.com/news/ben-bishop-gives-los-angeles-kings-depth-in-net/c-287165424?tid=278542340

At first glance, the move, or at least the timing, appeared curious, considering Quick made a winning return to the lineup on Saturday in a 4-1 victory against the Anaheim Ducks. Quick had been out since the opening night of the season after sustaining a groin injury.

Still, there are no guarantees when it comes to recovery, and the Kings weren't willing to take that gamble.

"There's a number of concerns," Lombardi said. "No. 1, you're never sure how well a guy who has been out this long … is he going to have his A game, so to speak, or not. These types of injuries, which are fairly serious, the history of comebacks can go either way."

Additionally, the Kings have a condensed schedule with several back-to-back situations down the stretch...

So ok...I understand now. Some of the posts in front of this are just as informative and correct. This post is saying the same thing just from the horse's mouth.

Archived