Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex Burrows Would Make Sense as a Rangers Trade Rental

ಠ_ಠ BSBH Legend

Alex Burrows Would Make Sense as a Rangers Trade Rental

The Blueshirts are talented and resolute enough to win regularly when they get the goaltending they expect from Henrik Lundqvist. There is no doubt about it. This is a nice team.

But nice hockey gets you only so far in the playoffs, and so does tic-tac-toe hockey that is dependent on time and space. If Gorton is going to rent a top-six, better the GM find an abrasive personality than a pure-skill winger.

Which brings us to the semi-notorious Alexandre Burrows, the soon-to-be 35-year-old who spent much of his career in Vancouver playing with and riding shotgun for the Sedins (Henrik and Daniel) while Vigneault was behind the bench. This season, he most often has played with talented young studs Bo Horvat and Sven Baertschi.

Burrows once bit off more than he could chew in a seven-game defeat to a less talented Bruins team in the 2011 final in which the Canucks were strangely muted over the final five games. It should serve the coach as a reminder sandpaper is an essential ingredient for a championship.

The winger, who has 20 points (9-11) off a four-point weekend that featured a throwback dustup with Buffalo goaltender Robin Lehner, has a no-trade clause. It is not known whether the impending free agent would waive it to come to New York after 12 years in Vancouver, but its existence prevents the Canucks from holding a full-scale auction for him. Thus, the price shouldn’t be exorbitant.

What does that mean? Good question, but the Rangers are going to have to give up something. A third-rounder probably wouldn’t get it done. One of their seconds next year, when they also own Ottawa’s No. 2? Oscar Lindberg, if the Blueshirts believe that Marek Hrivik could center the fourth line off his impressive 16-game audition earlier this winter?
    http://nypost.com/2017/02/16/nhl-pes...-trade-rental/
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect
    -.- burrows? I understand the point uncle Larry is trying to make, but the forward position is not where the Rangers need the most help.

ಠ_ಠ BSBH Legend
    That's my issue. While I actually don't disagree that a player like Burrows can add a certain je ne sais quoi, adding one is well down the list of needs Gorton should be prioritizing. I'd rank him behind acquiring a defenseman. First pairing, third pairing, or even depth. All are of measurably greater importance than another forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

//reported Junior Division
    For grit? I mean...ok.
    While we don't have that element to the team, we're deep AND young at forward.
    But for a conditional 5th round pick that's conditional on us making the second round, maybe I'll sign up...
    Last edited by booze and wingz; 02-16-2017 at 06:56 PM.
    flood control is not my dam job

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    He's still playing?

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Junior Division
    Didn't he/AV have issues with each other?

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Oh for fuck's sake Larry. What is the point of this article? First of all, another forward is by far the least of our problems. And while grit helps, it's not a prerequisite to a Cup championship. In fact I'd argue in recent years the league has been trending away from that. The Penguins dominated last year on possession and skill alone.

But seriously. With the limited amount of assets we have, we're going to trade for a 35 year old grinder? If we're going to trade a third rounder, let it be part of a package for an actual, you know, upgrade. On defense.

Senior Member Junior Division
    I would like Burrows b/c of his grit and pain in the ass to play against BUT no room for him. Sure he could be in the lineup today for Pimple, but when Buchnevich is inserted then that probably means Lindberg is out.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    I dunno, Burrows feels like bad karma to me.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

Lundqvist get your ass back in the game Midget Division
    Alex Burrows makes no sense as a trade rental. You are adding a 35 year old player to our deep forward group. Defense is the issue on this team.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

🔴⚪️🔵 BSBH Prospect
    I definitely feel the Rangers could use a player like this but only if we get some help defensively first and the price is cheap.
    I honestly wouldn't mind having Burrows in the lineup a lot of nights.

Moderator Midget Division
    Yea, add Burrows into the lineup instead of Buchnevich. That'll totally make us better.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    The only way I can see Burrows on the team is as a 4th liner because we trade a top 9 to improve the defense. So lets say we trade Nash with some retained salary for Vatanen in Anaheim. Buch and Vesey both play in the top 9, then you trade like Puempel for Burrows.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    The only way I can see Burrows on the team is as a 4th liner because we trade a top 9 to improve the defense. So lets say we trade Nash with some retained salary for Vatanen in Anaheim. Buch and Vesey both play in the top 9, then you trade like Puempel for Burrows.
    That makes sense.

And I actually don't dislike the idea of Burrows on the team, I just don't like him in the lineup with someone else on the bench.

🔴⚪️🔵 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Yea, add Burrows into the lineup instead of Buchnevich. That'll totally make us better.
    No one said that ,but I wouldn't have a problem playing him instead of Lindberg or Puempel some games.

Quote Originally Posted by !br-avery! View Post
    No one said that ,but I wouldn't have a problem playing him instead of Lindberg or Puempel some games.
    He's not a center, so he can't play over Lindberg and he's not going to take Fast's spot. The only spot left is the one that Buch/Puemple gets on the 4th line wing.

Senior Member Squirt Division deejaid's Avatar
    This sounds like Larry is hoping for a revisit of 1994 all over again. Bring in some "grit" like they did with Anderson, McTavish, Noonan, Matteau in 94, or Tikkanen in 93 because the current roster isn't tough enough.

If they want to send a 4th round pick to Vancouver fine, but no roster or prospects. I always wonder if we would have won multiple Stanley Cups had we kept Amonte, Weight and Gartner. Gartner was nearing the end of his career but it was painful to watch Weight and Amonte, as well as Zubov a few years later, go on to such great careers in another uniform.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Mistercosmic's Avatar
    Is he a useful and young right-handed D? No? Then I'm not interested...

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    If Tampa slips even further down, id rather try to reaquire Brian Boyle for a good playoff push. Burrows is useless to us snd the NHL in my opinion.

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Yea I pass as well. No thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast