Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's up with Zibs?

Senior Member Midget Division

What's up with Zibs?

In his last 11 games he has 0 goals and 4 assists. More alarmingly is that he only has 11 shots on goal during that stretch while averaging over 16 minutes a game. I can't say that I've been able to watch every minute of these past games but is he as invisible as the numbers suggest?

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Haven't watched much either but the little I did watch, I didn't really notice him much.

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Junior Member Mite Division Chuck_IV's Avatar
    He hasn't been the same since the injury. I think the crashing into the boards is in his head and it's taking away from his game.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

//reported Junior Division
    Only has 11 shots cause all of his one-timers miss the net. I feel like he's had some bad puck luck lately. I can't think of any specific plays off the top of my head, but I don't think he's been bad.
    MacKinnon > Stepan and Kreider?
    Barrie > Staal + 1st?

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Hasn't been bad at all, but this is the same shit that has plagued him his entire career and is what makes him what he is.

There was a reason we got him for an older guy on a worse contract. That doesn't make him bad, just that it would be foolish to pencil him in for 60 points.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Hasn't been bad at all, but this is the same shit that has plagued him his entire career and is what makes him what he is.

There was a reason we got him for an older guy on a worse contract. That doesn't make him bad, just that it would be foolish to pencil him in for 60 points.
    Good point

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    In the 12 games since he came back from injury, he has 2g, 4a and 18 shots on goal. So obviously that's a .5 PPG rate and 1.5 shots per game. His rate on the season is .68 PPG and just over 2 shots per game, his career rate is .55 PPG and just over 2 shots per game. So this is a dip, something to look at, but not entirely out of the ordinary for a player of his type. There are streaks and valleys in most players' games. Very few players spread their production and shot rates evenly over games (ie, a point per game player scoring a point each and every game, rather than having some 2-3 point nights and some nights with no points).

Visually, his play has been pretty consistent, he's just missing nets more frequently now than he had been. That probably accounts for both his shot total being a little low and also his production.

When you look at the first game back, he had 2 goals and 7 shots. I think if an injury was going to get into his head, that would have been the game. He looked fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
    He hasn't been the same since the injury. I think the crashing into the boards is in his head and it's taking away from his game.

I was actually surprised how quickly he was back. I think this has something to do with it. I suffered the same exact injury and it took me far longer mentally to get over it then it did for me to be over it physically.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    In the 12 games since he came back from injury, he has 2g, 4a and 18 shots on goal. So obviously that's a .5 PPG rate and 1.5 shots per game. His rate on the season is .68 PPG and just over 2 shots per game, his career rate is .55 PPG and just over 2 shots per game. So this is a dip, something to look at, but not entirely out of the ordinary for a player of his type. There are streaks and valleys in most players' games. Very few players spread their production and shot rates evenly over games (ie, a point per game player scoring a point each and every game, rather than having some 2-3 point nights and some nights with no points).

Visually, his play has been pretty consistent, he's just missing nets more frequently now than he had been. That probably accounts for both his shot total being a little low and also his production.

When you look at the first game back, he had 2 goals and 7 shots. I think if an injury was going to get into his head, that would have been the game. He looked fine to me
    This could have been masked by adrenaline. Plus he could have (and probably did) felt sore as shit after the game which would make him more insecure about the leg.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    This could have been masked by adrenaline. Plus he could have (and probably did) felt sore as shit after the game which would make him more insecure about the leg.
    Eh, maybe. But there's a huge difference in being game sore and broken leg sore lol

Zibs is also being used in a semi-checking role. He's taken more DZ faceoffs than anybody and 38 fewer OZ faceoffs than Stepan since he returned.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Simple answer: He's mediocre.

He's only 23 so there's time to wait and see what he can be but I haven't been impressed with him all season.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

He's pacing 55 points, plays in every situation and has positive possession numbers on a shitty possession team. He's an excellent faceoff man to boot. He's only averaging 16:49 TOI this year. Last year, only two centers - Spezza and Galchenyuk - had at least 55 points and less than 17:00 TOI. Neither of them play anywhere close to the three-zone game Zib does.

In what way is he mediocre? He misses the net too much?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    He's pacing 55 points, plays in every situation and has positive possession numbers on a shitty possession team. He's an excellent faceoff man to boot. He's only averaging 16:49 TOI this year. Last year, only two centers - Spezza and Galchenyuk - had at least 55 points and less than 17:00 TOI. Neither of them play anywhere close to the three-zone game Zib does.

In what way is he mediocre? He misses the net too much?
    I pointed out accuracy issues at the beginning of the season, but he contributes positively in almost every other way as you mentioned. The Rangers need a shoot first type player and he adds that dimension to the PP. Of course, he'll need to hit the net once in while.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Junior Division
    I agree that he hasn't looked bad overall, but the offense just has not been there.

Same with Buch... he's been all but invisible lately. I guess if there's a time to slump it would be now

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Zibanejad is actually one guy I'm not worried about, surprisingly enough. From what I've seen of him I have faith he'll turn it around. He's a far better player than I could have hoped for in that deal. Buchnevich on the other hand is a rookie, and just like Vesey he's slowed down a lot. But that's to be expected. I think it's a matter, for the whole lineup, of waiting for the dust to settle. There's been a lot of upheaval and stunted growth with injuries. We've already assembled one line that we're really happy with. I'm content to let the chips fall where they may for now.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    regarding the O.P.P. Dang, the dude just came off a broken leg. Contrary to what AmericanJesus, put forward, I don't believe the first game back is where that would show up mentally and then he's out of the woods, so to speak, my experience of trauma is it can take a long time to put it aside subconsciously. I think it's gonna take a while for him to get fully back into the groove and also to get his sync and timing back. Heck I didn't even know I was affected by a head on collision, until my subconscious took over every time a driver coming the other way made even the slightest change in course left, toward and as if to cross, the center of a road. The avoidance overreaction was completely subconscious for a long while.

I was concerned about him at the beginning of the season , but even then I found I liked enough of what he does away from the puck. I think the same will prove true initially in this case, too. Give it time.
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; 02-16-2017 at 09:33 PM.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Myusername View Post
    I agree that he hasn't looked bad overall, but the offense just has not been there.

Same with Buch... he's been all but invisible lately. I guess if there's a time to slump it would be now
    The thing with Buch is tat the is playing on the 4th line right now. He really isn't going to bring too much to that line or provide too much offense with limited ice time. Id like to see him moved up in the lineup someplace and given a bigger role.

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    The thing with Buch is tat the is playing on the 4th line right now. He really isn't going to bring too much to that line or provide too much offense with limited ice time. Id like to see him moved up in the lineup someplace and given a bigger role.
    Depsite Vesey playing well recently, I'd like to see him in a more sheltered role and Buch in the elevated roll. KHL is regarded as higher-talent competiton over NCAA or whatever Vesey was in, right?
    MacKinnon > Stepan and Kreider?
    Barrie > Staal + 1st?

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb[emoji769
    ;875118]Depsite Vesey playing well recently, I'd like to see him in a more sheltered role and Buch in the elevated roll. KHL is regarded as higher-talent competiton over NCAA or whatever Vesey was in, right?
    No longer depends where they came from.
    1/3 players in the NHL come from Jr NCAA now. Quite a bit more than the KHL.

I also would like to see Buch in a top 9 role but think we need to move someone, not drop Vesey down

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast