Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Results 321 to 331 of 331

Thread: NY GIANTS 2017-2018 Discussion Thread

  1. #321
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,756
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    True, but Jim's over all numbers are awful. Surprisingly, Eli's numbers are pretty comparable with Marino's.

    Eli: 14 seasons 4287 - 7158 59.9%
    50,307
    334-221 td/int with an 84.0 passer rating

    Dan: 17 seasons 4967 - 8358 59.4 %
    61,361
    420-252 with an 86.4
    Can't really compare the numbers - especially volume numbers - of a modern-era QB to Marino or anyone else who played in the 80s and 90s.

    Marino, and to some extent I think Favre, maybe a couple others (Kelly, Moon), completely changed the complexion of the league. They did what QBs are doing now when the rules didn't heavily favor offenses. I mean, he threw for 5,000 yards and 48 TDs in 1984. That's maybe the greatest singular feat in NFL history. Can you imagine Marino getting the protection and modern passing offenses that current QBs get? He'd throw for 6,000 yards.

  2. #322
    ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Parsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Posts
    10,013
    Rep Power
    86
    Well, philly fans are miserable today. I'm not alone in misery down here.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  3. #323
    Senior Member Squirt Division Rangers4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    314
    Rep Power
    13

    NY GIANTS 2017-2018 Discussion Thread

    Screw Philly although I hate to see a player get hurt

  4. #324
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,913
    Rep Power
    24
    Wentz seems like a good guy. I wish him well. Screw the rest of them though.

    Sent from my VS501 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  5. #325
    ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Parsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Posts
    10,013
    Rep Power
    86
    I got nothing against Wentz, he looks like a top 5 QB for years to come BUT his style of play, some call it "tough" was a recipe for a disaster. I watched almost every game this season down here and I was literally waiting for him to suffer an injury like this. It was only a matter of time.

    Besides that FUCK the Eagles. Trust me, there was little remorse when guys like Cruz and ODB were lost to season ending injuries. They didn't mind Romo's injuries much either. It's part of the game and now they are on the receiving end of a major blow.

    Fuck'em.

  6. #326
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,756
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    I got nothing against Wentz, he looks like a top 5 QB for years to come BUT his style of play, some call it "tough" was a recipe for a disaster. I watched almost every game this season down here and I was literally waiting for him to suffer an injury like this. It was only a matter of time.

    Besides that FUCK the Eagles. Trust me, there was little remorse when guys like Cruz and ODB were lost to season ending injuries. They didn't mind Romo's injuries much either. It's part of the game and now they are on the receiving end of a major blow.

    Fuck'em.
    Beat me to it lol

    I actually like Carson but he does play a style that opens itself up to injury, even if it's unfortunate. He's a lot like Andrew Luck in that sense, but he'll be fine without using his legs throughout his career.

    More importantly, fuck the Eagles. They fucking cheered when Michael Irvin got a career-ending neck injury and got taken off on a stretcher. I'll never feel bad for that organization.

  7. #327
    ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Parsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Posts
    10,013
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Beat me to it lol

    I actually like Carson but he does play a style that opens itself up to injury, even if it's unfortunate. He's a lot like Andrew Luck in that sense, but he'll be fine without using his legs throughout his career.

    More importantly, fuck the Eagles. They fucking cheered when Michael Irvin got a career-ending neck injury and got taken off on a stretcher. I'll never feel bad for that organization.
    Yup. Plenty of Eagles fans this year were fine with Beckham's injury after he "peed" in the endzone. They laughed and called it karma. No sympathy for those fuckers. For Wentz, sure he's talented and hard-nosed but he needs to learn or he will risk his career.

  8. #328
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,274
    Rep Power
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Can't really compare the numbers - especially volume numbers - of a modern-era QB to Marino or anyone else who played in the 80s and 90s.

    Marino, and to some extent I think Favre, maybe a couple others (Kelly, Moon), completely changed the complexion of the league. They did what QBs are doing now when the rules didn't heavily favor offenses. I mean, he threw for 5,000 yards and 48 TDs in 1984. That's maybe the greatest singular feat in NFL history. Can you imagine Marino getting the protection and modern passing offenses that current QBs get? He'd throw for 6,000 yards.
    Those powerful offensive teams were a new thing in the league at the time. No one knew how to stop them.
    Miami, Denver, SF, Buffalo, Dallas, Washington, Eagles, Oilers, the list goes on. More teams have better defenses now than they did then.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  9. #329
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,756
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Those powerful offensive teams were a new thing in the league at the time. No one knew how to stop them.
    Miami, Denver, SF, Buffalo, Dallas, Washington, Eagles, Oilers, the list goes on. More teams have better defenses now than they did then.
    Those teams got stopped all the time if they didn't have a run game - unless you were Marino, Favre, Aikman, or whatever other HOF quarterback. They didn't start calling illegal contact until 2004 - passing yardage has exploded since then. In 2010, they started calling dangerous hits, and then passing yardage exploded again.

    Of the top 20 individual passing yardage seasons, 18 are from after 2004, 1 is Marino and 1 was 2001 Kurt Warner. Elway's best season (4,030) ranks 143rd and is basically the expectation for good modern QBs.

    The numbers aren't even close to comparable.

  10. #330
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,274
    Rep Power
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Those teams got stopped all the time if they didn't have a run game - unless you were Marino, Favre, Aikman, or whatever other HOF quarterback. They didn't start calling illegal contact until 2004 - passing yardage has exploded since then. In 2010, they started calling dangerous hits, and then passing yardage exploded again.

    Of the top 20 individual passing yardage seasons, 18 are from after 2004, 1 is Marino and 1 was 2001 Kurt Warner. Elway's best season (4,030) ranks 143rd and is basically the expectation for good modern QBs.

    The numbers aren't even close to comparable.
    Those teams were stopped all the time? The west coast offense dominated play. There were better qbs around than there were defenses. Now it's the opposite.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  11. #331
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,756
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Those teams were stopped all the time? The west coast offense dominated play. There were better qbs around than there were defenses. Now it's the opposite.
    The teams that didn't have HOF QBs did. The only team that effectively ran a West Coast Offense in the 80s was the 49ers. In the 90s, the only teams to do it were the Packers under Holmgren, Denver under Shanahan, and Andy Reid's Eagles. The Coryell offense - which was best used by Dallas in the 90s - is what changed the game. The best offenses now - Saints, Pats, Packers - use principles from both, but are built around the QB. That's a product of the success of those 80s and early 90s QBs who showed that a passing game could drive an offense, rather than a running game.

    The defenses are not better today because they can't be with the way the rules are. Trying to skew things that way to try to compare Eli to Dan Marino is a major stretch. And offenses are far better than they were then anyways, so the point is moot regardless of the rule changes.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •