Thread: Chargers Expected to Announce Move to LA

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

Chargers Expected to Announce Move to LA

Almost one year to the day that the Rams moved to Los Angeles, the Chargers now likely are planning to do the same.

The Chargers plan to announce as early as Thursday that they are moving to Los Angeles, ending a 55-year stint with San Diego and returning to their birthplace, league sources said.

The Chargers played their inaugural season in Los Angeles in 1960 before moving to San Diego in 1961.

The Chargers have notified NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, and other league owners, of their intent to move to Los Angeles for the 2017 season, sources said.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...go-los-angeles
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Boom BSBH Prospect
    Congrats to the city of San Diego

swamped Midget Division
    Not an ideal situation, 2 teams in LA
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-vitality-2017
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Exiled from Connecticut Squirt Division TheDozen's Avatar
    I actually live closer to LA than SD but this is still bad. At least SD had reasonably priced seats and it was still a fun atmosphere in which to be a fan of the visiting team.

Senior Member Bantam Division paddynyc's Avatar
    It is sad for the SD fans and it is all about the money.
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Senior Member Junior Division
    Qualcomm Stadium was such a dump, and needed to have a complete overhaul or new stadium built.

Boom BSBH Prospect
    I mean what can you do, they explored all available options*

*option of, you know, having the billionaires pay for the stadium themselves not included

Germanic Ranger Junior Division H-Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRangers92 View Post
    I mean what can you do, they explored all available options*

*option of, you know, having the billionaires pay for the stadium themselves not included
    I never get that, I mean IIRC the NFL promised him 300 millions to build in San Diego. So with the Relocation Fee he now has to pay, he could have had roughly one Billion to have a nice new stadium in the town his team actually has a fanbase in.
    Instead lets be #2 in LA, where people don't even care about the other team they already have.

Senior Member Bantam Division sg3's Avatar
    The part I don't understand is Stub hub field with a capacity of 30K or so. I thought the NFL had a requirement for teams home stadia of 70K or so.

Doesn't 30K mean reduced visiting team revenue for every one of their 8 home opponents every season?

Well it's just till the Inglewood stadium is finished and I guess they don't expect to draw many people at start.

swamped Midget Division
    What's not to understand. Spanos tried to get a new stadium in San Diego for 20 years. If you aren't willing to cut the tax breaks or sweetheart deals than a team moves, because in the end it is a business.

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Still doesn't explain moving to LA, a city that doesn't care for your team and already has one.
    Unless they become a 2nd coming of the Patriots in regards of success, the Chargers will most likely fail in LA.

Boom BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    What's not to understand. Spanos tried to get a new stadium in San Diego for 20 years. If you aren't willing to cut the tax breaks or sweetheart deals than a team moves, because in the end it is a business.
    He didnt try to build a stadium, he tried to bilk the people of San Diego to build one for him, and they said no. If he really wanted a stadium there he wouldve spent the 650mil hes spending to relocate on a stadium.
    Last edited by NYRangers92; 01-19-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Moderator Junior Division
    He didnt try to build a stadium, he tried to bilk the people of San Diego to build one for him, and they said no. If he really wanted a stadium there he wouldve spent the 650mil hes spending to relocate on a stadium.
    Yup.

Spanos is full of shit. He doesn't care about being in or leaving San Diego.

swamped Midget Division
    Its business... when you can make more money somewhere else with a better sweetheart deal, you move. People of San Diego didn't want the Chargers enough to fund a stadium... so Spanos will take his toys (the Chargers) and go play somewhere else.

The fans keep on thinking that it is about them... but it almost never is. It's about billionaires making money hand-over-fist and getting richer - money is their scorecard, and their are only 32 NFL owners, so it is a most exclusive club. They choose who belongs.... and as the Sterling/Clippers saga in the NBA illustrates, they decide when you get kicked out of the club.

Everything else is PR posturing. Its always about the money.

Boom BSBH Prospect
    Yes that is correct. I was only taking issue with you saying Spanos tried everything to get a stadium built in SD.