Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Expansion Draft — Rules/Who to Protect

Moderator BSBH Prospect

2017 Expansion Draft — Rules/Who to Protect

Protected Lists
    * Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:*
    a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender
    b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender
    * All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).
    * All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Player Exposure Requirements
    * All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:
    i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.
    ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.
    iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18.

Rangers that must be protected automatically (No trade/No Movement clauses in contract)
    1. Henrik Lundqvist (G)
    2. Rick Nash (F)
    3. Dan Girardi (D)
    4. Marc Staal (D)

Rangers that are exempt from the draft (less than 2 years in the NHL)
    1. Pavel Buchnevich (F)
    2. Jimmy Vesey (F)
    3. Oscar Lindberg*(F)
    4. Brady Skjei (D)

Rangers that are eligible for draft
    1. Derek Stepan (F)
    2. Chris Kreider (F)
    3. Mats Zuccarello (F)
    4. J.T. Miller (F)
    5. Kevin Hayes (F)
    6. Mika Zibanejad (F)
    7. Michael Grabner (F)
    8. Jesper Fast (F)
    9. Oscar Lindberg (F)
    10. Brandon Pirri (F)
    11. Ryan McDonagh (D)
    12. Kevin Klein (D)
    13. Nick Holden (D)
    14. Antti Ranta (G)
    Last edited by Puck Head; 01-10-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Option A- (we are forced to with no movement of Girardi and Staal)
    a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

7 forwards
    Rick Nash
    Derek Stepan
    Chris Kreider
    Mats Zuccarello
    J.T. Miller
    Kevin Hayes
    Mika Zibanejad

3 Defenseman
    Ryan McDonagh
    Dan Girardi
    Marc Staal

1 Goaltender
    Henrik Lundqvist

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Fast, Pirri and Lindberg are also exempt because they doesn't have a contract yet for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Vegas can sign them as part of the draft if they don't have a contract, so we'd still, essentially, lose them.
    They are RFA's, I haven't seen anything saying they can poach another teams RFA's.

Anyone know the rules for buyouts prior to the expansion draft?

Senior Member Junior Division
    IMO I think Girardi will accept to waive his NMC to help the Rangers for the expansion draft. I think its safe to say that Vegas would take him in the expansion draft.
    I also do think their will be some sort of side deals going on, Gorton will figure out a way to keep Grabner

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    Fast, Pirri and Lindberg are also exempt because they doesn't have a contract yet for next season.
    Not only are they available to be drafted, Las Vegas has a 48 hour window to work with UFA/RFA players before their current teams do.
    The Las Vegas expansion franchise will be given a head start when it comes to free agency.
    Sources told ESPN.com that as part of these fascinating expansion-draft rules we keep learning about, the Vegas organization will have a 48-hour window ahead of the expansion draft in June to speak with and sign any pending unrestricted or restricted free agents whom the 30 teams left unprotected for the expansion draft.
    http://www.espn.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...on-free-agency

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    IMO I think Girardi will accept to waive his NMC to help the Rangers for the expansion draft. I think its safe to say that Vegas would take him in the expansion draft.
    I also do think their will be some sort of side deals going on, Gorton will figure out a way to keep Grabner
    I hope you're right. I'm not sure if Vegas would take him but his waiving of his NMC would definitely be a step in the right direction.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I hope you're right. I'm not sure if Vegas would take him but his waiving of his NMC would definitely be a step in the right direction.
    That would mean they really want to protect Klein I assume with that 3rd slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Not only are they available to be drafted, Las Vegas has a 48 hour window to work with UFA/RFA players before their current teams do.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...on-free-agency
    Indeed, at the moment, Grabner is the only Ranger forward who fills the exposure requirement. Jesper Fast and Oscar Lindberg are pending restricted free agents. So is Brandon Pirri. So is Matt Puempel, who would need to play 18 games in order to qualify if signed before the draft. Of course, Gorton could sign any one of his pending Group II’s to extensions at any time (though we are told there are no ongoing talks with any) or acquire a compliant forward through trade.
    http://nypost.com/2017/01/09/each-go...raft-headache/

Someone is wrong then.

I think Vegas will take Raanta from us honestly. He is a cheap and has been a steady goaltender. If not as a starter, he is a god backup for them on a good deal.

Senior Member Midget Division
    I don't think Vegas takes Girardi. They have to take ONE player from each team. It's going to be either Grabner or Raanta.

It'd be a shame to lose either. Grabner off a career year at his cost is very attractive to a team that will need a goal scorer (I know he's not a sniper, but the numbers are there). But Raanta has potential starter written on him and his contract is also great.

Either way it's going to suck to lose either of them.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Where does Brooks say they are protected?

The Rangers HAVE to expose 2 forwards who played 40 games in the previous season, or 70 games in the previous 2 seasons
    PLUS
    Are under contract

I believe the point he was making is that Lindberg and Fast don't meet the requirement of being 2 of those forwards we HAVE to expose.
    At the same time, they are not automatically protected.
    Last edited by Puck Head; 01-10-2017 at 05:02 PM.

Where does Brooks say they are protected?
    Maybe I am reading it wrong with Brooks saying that Grabner is the only player who fills the requirement.

Jesper Fast and Oscar Lindberg are pending restricted free agents. So is Brandon Pirri. So is Matt Puempel, who would need to play 18 games in order to qualify if signed before the draft.
    This sounds like they aren't eligible.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Maybe I am reading it wrong with Brooks saying that Grabner is the only player who fills the requirement.

This sounds like they aren't eligible.
    Was a poorly written piece.
    Lindberg/Fast are not eligible to meet the 2 forward requirement we HAVE to expose under those rules.
    They are still eligible to be drafted.

His attempted point about Grabner was that he was a forward that met the requirement we have to expose.
    And he's wrong about that because Stepan, Kreider, Miller, etc all would meet that also.

Was a poorly written piece.
    Lindberg/Fast are not eligible to meet the 2 forward requirement we HAVE to expose under those rules.
    They are still eligible to be drafted.

His attempted point about Grabner was that he was a forward that met the requirement we have to expose.
    And he's wrong about that because Stepan, Kreider, Miller, etc all would meet that also.
    Gotcha. I think he was suggesting that the Rangers are going to protect Step, Miller, Kredier and the others. Is Step protected because of his NMC or is that after the draft it kicks in?

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Gotcha. I think he was suggesting that the Rangers are going to protect Step, Miller, Kredier and the others. Is Step protected because of his NMC or is that after the draft it kicks in?
    Stepan is not automatically protected.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Geez a day later I just re-read this and I meant to say Vegas would not take him, hence why I think he would accept to waive his NMC. BRAIN IS MUSH!!!

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Girardi will be bought out if he is not traded before the draft. The Rangers will not waste a protection spot on him.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Fast, to me, is the player I'd take. Reliable, young, RFA, and trustworthy in all situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast