Thread: Most evil empires – subjective ranking

swamped Midget Division

Most evil empires – subjective ranking

Criteria: brutality toward those conquered, number of conquered impacted, length of impact (apologies to brutal rulers like Idi Amin and Pol Pot, but I’m specifying empires because I can’t type all the brutal leaders in history)

My list:
    1. Russia/Soviets: the most recent incarnations being Putin, Stalin, Lenin… but going back even before Ivan the Terrible, LONG history and many people impacted by Russian brutality
    2. Spanish: conquistadors, inquisition
    3. Ottomans/Turks: genocides
    4. Mongols: submit or be utterly destroyed, brutal torture, rape, slavery
    5. Romans: slavery, fights to the death, cruelty, torture
    6. Chinese: especially horrible during the Great Leaps Forward
    7. Huns: slaughter, torture, vindictive
    8. Vikings: pillaging their way through the neighbors
    9. Japanese: war crimes, especially under Hirohito
    10. Americans: talk to anyone outside Europe/Canada/Australia-New Zealand/Japan and a few other friendly nations, and get an idea of how the rest of the world views the US
    11. Germans: Hitler
    12. British: lots of deaths, impact on most of world
    13. French: lots of deaths, slavery during their colonial period
    Dishonorable mention: Portuguese, Celts, Greeks, Aztecs, Belgians, Mayans, Persians/Iranians
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Cool shit, I'll read over it later in totality but you gotta have the Chines first; their death tole is utterly absurd.

Senior Member Bantam Division paddynyc's Avatar
    The New York Yankees are missing.
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Po Pot makes many of those empires look like Sesame Street

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post

Did you know... -Up to 100 million people died in the Taiping Rebellion in China in the mid 19th Century
    -Up to 40 million died in the "Three Kingdoms War" in China at the end of the Han Dynasty
    -The Qing Dynasty was responsible for an estimated 25 million Chinese deaths in the late 17th Century
    -Also in the mid 18th century there was the Du Wenxiu Rebellion, that's another 20 million+ dead

The Chinese Civil War, in the run up to WW2, barely makes the Chinese Top 10 mass atrocities list @ 8 million dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_death_toll

The Spanish Conquistadors were responsible for the vast majority of deaths in The New World but it's not what you think. There weren't many of them, relatively speaking, so to think they killed off 60 something million native South Americans in hand to hand combat couldn't be anymore wrong.

All the Natives were dying from disease. This is something Europeans of the time had no idea of. They believed it was God doing all the dirty work.

swamped Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post

Agreed Pol Pot was awful... but there have been so many brutal despots, too many to list - hence empires

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

swamped Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Did you know... -Up to 100 million people died in the Taiping Rebellion in China in the mid 19th Century
    -Up to 40 million died in the "Three Kingdoms War" in China at the end of the Han Dynasty
    -The Qing Dynasty was responsible for an estimated 25 million Chinese deaths in the late 17th Century
    -Also in the mid 18th century there was the Du Wenxiu Rebellion, that's another 20 million+ dead

The Chinese Civil War, in the run up to WW2, barely makes the Chinese Top 10 mass atrocities list @ 8 million dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_death_toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    The Spanish Conquistadors were responsible for the vast majority of deaths in The New World but it's not what you think. There weren't many of them, relatively speaking, so to think they killed off 60 something million native South Americans in hand to hand combat couldn't be anymore wrong.

All the Natives were dying from disease. This is something Europeans of the time had no idea of. They believed it was God doing all the dirty work.
    China was/is terrible, so certainly should be ranked. Much of their brutality has been directed within their country... given the number of Chinese this is a significant chunk of misery... but the empires I ranked higher spread their misery to their neighbors and people with different ethnicity.

Spanish conquistadors were just brutal in their quest for gold. You are right, disease killed off so many in the New World... but for evil empire I'm focusing on the atrocities the Spanish committed with direct action.

Banned Midget Division
    can you name any empires that were not evil?

swamped Midget Division
    good point, I can't name any empires that weren't evil... I can think of nations (Switzerland?) that are relatively good neighbors, have good quality of life, and don't try and expand their range of influence militarily. Empires aim to expand their reach... and react militarily when opposed. When political units unite peacefully, this could be the nation building exemption to armed territory grabbing (ex. the thirteen colonies forming the US, or the United Arab Republic when Egypt and Syria united), but this is a rare exception

Banned Midget Division
    yeah, come to think of it, all empires are evil.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    can you name any empires that were not evil?
    Empire State Building isnt that evil

British Empire wasn't evil. They're the only colonial power who's charges became great countries. Can't name a French colony worth a shit, can't name a Spanish colony that isn't currently a 3rd World Narco State.

swamped Midget Division
    Some British empire atrocities:
    http://listverse.com/2014/02/04/10-e...ritish-empire/
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6821756.html

All nations that had colonies did some bad things in order to remain in power... some nations left colonies in better conditions, but military takeovers (and measures to stay in power) are not pleasant

Deleted Midget Division
    The old adage rings true to this day:

You can't build a pyramid without breaking a few backs.