• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

HBO Cancels Bill Simmons' Struggling 'Any Given Wednesday'

Phil

The show, which premiered June 22, will finish its run on Nov. 9 and will not be renewed for next season, according to a joint release by HBO and Simmons.

The decision was "mutually agreed" upon by HBO and Simmons, who joined HBO in July, 2015 after 12 years at ESPN.

Said Simmons in a statement: ?One of the many reasons I joined HBO was to see if we could create a show built around smart conversations for sports fans and pop culture junkies. We loved making that show, but unfortunately it never resonated with audiences like we hoped. And that's on me. But I love being a part of HBO's family and look forward to innovating with them on other ambitious programming ideas over these next several years - both for the network and for digital. With that said, I want to thank the dedicated staff that worked so diligently with me behind the scenes to make this show every week - we hired so many great and talented people and I loved having them in my life. It's difficult for me to imagine not working with them anymore."

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sports/news/bill-simmons-any-given-wednesday-hbo-espn-cancel-struggle-low-ratings/1m6j5iwm06kwh1b6p8zgghhjdx

I found his personality completely underwhelming in this format. This should have been the HBO version of Real Time with a very strongly opinioned host drives conversation and drives it with authority. Instead in every episode I've seen so far, the opposite has been true. He just kind of smiled and laughed his way through the interviews.

Archived