Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Any chance we could get a chat feature here like the old AOL?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Slobberknocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    2 feet south of the blueline
    Posts
    3,845
    Rep Power
    32

    Any chance we could get a chat feature here like the old AOL?

    my work life is too productive.

    wouldn't mind slowing it down.


  2. #2
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,488
    Rep Power
    55
    Love it. I've been on a few forums that had a chat/shoutbox and definitely used it to pass the time.
    I've asked other forums to add this feature as well and the biggest point of contention was that the admins thought having this feature would deter from users posting on the forum. On the forums I used to frequent this was never the case. And I imagine here, it'd mostly be used to shoot the shit and hockey talk would reside mostly in threads.

    I'm 100% on board with adding chat.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

  3. #3
    Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    SaveByRichter35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,019
    Rep Power
    27
    On a Notre Dame BB I frequent, they open up both a Gameday Thread similar to here and also have a chat window only during the game. That way it doesn't take away from the rest of the board.

  4. #4
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,455
    Rep Power
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    On a Notre Dame BB I frequent, they open up both a Gameday Thread similar to here and also have a chat window only during the game. That way it doesn't take away from the rest of the board.
    I'm on two other team sites that do exactly that, I think it's pretty cool, though I don't generally frequent them.

  5. #5
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,945
    Rep Power
    361
    The issue isn't it taking away from posting, it's in moderation. I'd be asking every staff member to now monitor said chat, on top of posts, and the former can't be viewed in the app.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  6. #6
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,455
    Rep Power
    107
    In terms of moderating...I always viewed those chats as, sort of, international waters.

  7. #7
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,320
    Rep Power
    351
    There was an "international waters" thing that popped up here once before. It did not end well.

  8. #8
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,488
    Rep Power
    55
    If you guys think something like that needs moderation, so be it.
    I think it'd be really fun to have a chat during the game.
    It's also possible to have moderation in chat if you find the right plugin, extension, method for providing chat.

    One of the streams I normally watch uses ChatAnGo and it's moderated. If someone posts something against the rules, you can ban them from chat. Without having looked, there are possibly configuration settings where you can even choose who the moderators are, how long you ban someone for, warnings, etc.

    Only unfortunate thing is that the GDT wouldn't get as much love, methinks.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

  9. #9
    Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    SaveByRichter35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,019
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    If you guys think something like that needs moderation, so be it.
    I think it'd be really fun to have a chat during the game.
    It's also possible to have moderation in chat if you find the right plugin, extension, method for providing chat.

    One of the streams I normally watch uses ChatAnGo and it's moderated. If someone posts something against the rules, you can ban them from chat. Without having looked, there are possibly configuration settings where you can even choose who the moderators are, how long you ban someone for, warnings, etc.

    Only unfortunate thing is that the GDT wouldn't get as much love, methinks.
    That's my thing. I prefer the GDT over the chat. I don't usually log in while I am at home only when I am at work. The GDT at least offers me something to read to kill time.

  10. #10
    a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Respecttheblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    9,364
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    That's my thing. I prefer the GDT over the chat. I don't usually log in while I am at home only when I am at work. The GDT at least offers me something to read to kill time.
    Ditto that.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •