Thread: Netflix or Hulu Won't Win Streaming Wars — Cable Companies Will

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

Netflix or Hulu Won't Win Streaming Wars — Cable Companies Will

Cord-cutting is rapidly becoming an expensive proposition, especially if you want the amount of content most TV viewers are accustomed to. And that problem is only going to get worse in the years to come.
    Streaming industry watchdog blog Exstreamist recently revealed that Netflix’s number of films and TV shows has been cut in half since 2012 — going from about 11,000 series to 5,302. In and of itself, this isn’t really cause for alarm. Netflix has stepped up its production of original content, seemingly largely to compensate for the loss of all of those titles in its library. It also has a major deal with Disney that will siphon a bunch of the entertainment giant’s products into the Netflix library.

But the fact remains that Netflix is increasingly caught between two major forces. On the one hand, it’s chasing down a number of global subscribers that will eventually prove finite. On the other hand, the amount of money it can actually spend on acquiring and producing TV shows and movies will only go so far.

Because Netflix doesn’t actually own most of its hit TV shows (at least not yet), it overpays for most of them to make them Netflix exclusive for the foreseeable future. But that drives its production costs up and up and up. Thus, for instance, it recently had to cancel its Emmy-winning drama Bloodline after its upcoming third season, seemingly because it just cost too much.
    http://www.vox.com/new-money/2016/10...u-amazon-cable

Super interesting read. Well worth your time IMO.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Competition in streaming is hurting Netflix. They were the only big player. Now there is Amazon and Hulu as major players, plus the movie channels like HBO, Showtime, etc offering stream only options. Sling TV is getting better for live feeds. Other networks are streaming a lot of their catalogs. Some give you a couple days to watch stuff without a cable provider while others will let you watch newer episodes if you wait a week. And services like PlayOn let you DVR from what ever streaming services you have using your PC and then stream them to your TV or mobile devices.

You can do a lot without having to spend a ton. And if you don't mind being unethical, you can share accounts, use free trials to download tons of stuff, or use some of the more shady software and streams to get new movies, live sports and tv shows completely free.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They call me Shaq Bantam Division
    If you dont mind being unethical you can get netflix, hulu, hbo, ect all for free.
    ___________LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    If you don't mind being unethical, a friend of mine sells jailbroken Amazon Firesticks for those of you in a pinch. Personally I am not a fan, the interface looks too difficult to navigate. If you can get past that they're pretty cool.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ BSBH Prospect
    The, uh, ethics of, uh business… can be summarized in… yeah, um… see… ethics are, uh… you know the, the thing about ethics…
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    The, uh, ethics of, uh business… can be summarized in… yeah, um… see… ethics are, uh… you know the, the thing about ethics…
    I see what you did there lol

Moderator Junior Division
    I think the endgame is that cable companies are going to make on-demand programming their prime focus. They already have the capability, so once they get the same libraries as Hulu, Netflix and Amazon combined, they'll be pretty obsolete.