• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2016-2017 NHL Waiver Wire

Pete

Parenteau stands out the most considering he scored 20+ goals on the worst team in the league last season. He'll do the same again for a team that's probably going to be a lottery team again. Hall/Henrique/Parenteau is my guess.

But Pulkkinen is probably an NHL player, too, and could probably give Minnesota some nice third-line scoring.

Jets include Pavelec in latest round of cuts

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1123875

(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

Just NDA shocked. He's a damn good goalie. Shocked they couldn't get anything in trade for him. Buffalo, Edmonton, Toronto, Calgary, or anyone with questions in net didn't pick him up or get him in trade. He'll be a big pick up when a big goalie goes down.

Parenteau stands out the most considering he scored 20+ goals on the worst team in the league last season. He'll do the same again for a team that's probably going to be a lottery team again. Hall/Henrique/Parenteau is my guess.

But Pulkkinen is probably an NHL player, too, and could probably give Minnesota some nice third-line scoring.

I still don't understand the Parenteau move

LGR

Jets include Pavelec in latest round of cuts

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1123875

(via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )

Just NDA shocked. He's a damn good goalie. Shocked they couldn't get anything in trade for him. Buffalo, Edmonton, Toronto, Calgary, or anyone with questions in net didn't pick him up or get him in trade. He'll be a big pick up when a big goalie goes down.

Is he though? He's got the talent to be very good, and at times he is, but it seems like he's always let them down. Subjectively, I'd say that .915 is the minimum save % for a "good" goalie, and he's only hit that once in his career. His career average is just .907 (Lundq is at .92, for reference).

Pavelec is similar to a guy like Halak, who has the talent to steal games sometimes, or even get hot and have a strong playoff run, but doesn't have the mental makeup to really be a franchise goalie.

Is he though? He's got the talent to be very good, and at times he is, but it seems like he's always let them down. Subjectively, I'd say that .915 is the minimum save % for a "good" goalie, and he's only hit that once in his career. His career average is just .907 (Lundq is at .92, for reference).

Pavelec is similar to a guy like Halak, who has the talent to steal games sometimes, or even get hot and have a strong playoff run, but doesn't have the mental makeup to really be a franchise goalie.

I guess that's it. He gets hot, then injured, sucks, almost loses the starting gig, then gets red hot again.. I'd say his team is more of a direct result of his sv%. He's had some shit defenses Infront of him.

He may not be elite, but he's better than a few guys starting on other teams.

The Jets do have a pretty good prospect they are giving a chance to though. So I guess that's their reasoning. Just odd nobody else wanted him

Matteau would have to go on waivers to be sent down if the Rangers claimed him. If someone gets claimed, they get added to the NHL roster. Plus he's shown nothing as a pro, would be a waste of a contract spot IMO.

Well yeah. I meant when he clears waivers, try to do a minor league deal/swap. Having the name in the organization is just something that I want to see. LOL. At one time he was full of potential. It's not like Hartford is packed with talent.

The pack actually had a really strong opening game, winning 6-3 with a quick, high speed transition game. They do have a lot of talent with Kovacs, Stromwall, Nieves, Tambellini, Bodie, Gilmour etc.

Matteau has had a shitty attitude throughout his pro career as well. I'd rather steer clear from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

I'll need to brush up my knowledge, but what's the difference between "getting rid of the contract" vs. "sending to the AHL affiliate?"

I guess my question is this - if the intent was NOT to send a player to the A, what would be the point of waiving him?

To hope he was claimed by another team to free up a contract under the 50 contract limit every team has.

Assigning a player, even one who clears waivers, to the AHL doesn't "get rid of the contract". Only trading the player, having them get claimed by another club, or contract termination can do that.

Avs claim Barberio

The Colorado Avalanche have picked up puck-moving defenseman Mark Barberio off waivers from the Montreal Canadiens, adding depth and some value to their struggling blue line.

The 26-year-old Barberio has 172 points in 261 games played during his AHL career, and 31 points in 159 NHL games. This season Barberio picked up 18 points in 20 games with the AHL’s St. John’s IceCaps, and four assists in 26 games with the Canadiens.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/colorado-avalanche-claim-mark-barberio-off-waivers-174540937.html

Archived