• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Autism Speaks

Mike

My son Michael has a very close friend with autism, his name is Dylan Benanti. The kid looooves hockey. He is our equipment manager for this season. He brings the sticks, pucks, water bottles, etc ... to the bench before and after games. The kids love him, and have embraced him as a teammate. The boys have Autism Speaks patches on their jerseys, and we as the coaching staff have them on our game jackets. We're hosting an Autism Awareness Day on November 20th at the Ice House in Hackensack NJ from 10am-2pm. We'll have tables set up for donations, 50/50 raffles, and a silent auction with many different things to bid on from various professional teams, athletes, and other celebrities. All proceeds from our event will be donated by the North Jersey Avalanche in Dylan's name to the Autism Speaks Foundation.

My son also has an autistic girl in his class, her name is Jodi DiPiazza. She will be singing the national anthem before our game that day. She is absolutely amazing. You can google her name, as she sang on tv with Katy Perry. We're also having Dylan do a ceremonial puck drop. We're very excited about the event. Thank you for anything you can contribute to our special day.

Our boys will also take turns assisting in the Special Needs Hockey Program at the IH. Their clinics are on Saturday mornings at 10am. Please contact the Ice House Hockey Department for more info.

Game time: 10:15 AM vs. LI Gulls

The official press release can be found at http://www.njavalanche.pointstreaksites.com/view/njavalanche

Below is the link for donations to the walk which I believe will be held in May.

https://www.kintera.org/faf/search/searchTeamPart.asp?ievent=1151840&lis=1&kntae1151840=9326E78A32694BDD8D2979C75E049605&supId=440124889&team=6858252

Is Dan May and Glenn (forget his last name) Carllogh (?) still running the travels teams? My son played at the Ice House for 4 years and we moved and then he played for the Devils youth out of West Orange.

Dan has always been the Avs President. Glenn ran the mite programs, tournaments, and was a coach. My son played for Glenn for 2 years when he was a squirt. Glenn left this year to open his own business. Dan's oldest son is Michael's head coach.

• 1 month later...

Bump because the event is Sunday. Also, here's a list of a few items for sale at our auction:

* NHL hat signed by Tavares

* Puck signed by Ovechkin

* Ryan McDonagh signed jersey

* Auston Matthews signed jersey - thank you Shanny

* 2 game worn jerseys from the Fairbanks IceDogs National Championship + hat - thank you Puckhead

* 2 tickets to Giants / Cowboys

* 2 tickets to Giants / Lions

* 4 lift tickets to Mountain Creek Resort

• 3 weeks later...
I gotta be honest .... the Autism Speaks people never responded to us after they provided us with the link for donations. No rep showed up or anything. Weird.

That's strange. We have run a point of sale campaign once a year since 2013 and they have been great. Regardless, great to help out those who need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived