Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HBO's 'Westworld'

Growing Member Bantam Division
    I'm looking forward to the next episode. The overall story seems good enough to forgive the slight annoyances I've had.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by McDougalfaschnitzer View Post
    I'm looking forward to the next episode. The overall story seems good enough to forgive the slight annoyances I've had.
    I just feel it's all moving terribly slow. I get leaving out specifics and cryptic dialogue to retain mystery for the viewer, but when everything's treated that way, if feels like the story is just crawling. I think I would enjoy it more if there was a better mix of small glimpses and bigger reveals. I think the bouncing back and fourth between then main focus on Delores or the Madam give it a one step forward, two steps back kind of feel.

Senior Member Junior Division
    I'm watching it. It's entertaining, and I'm a sucker for Ed Harris as a bad ass. Just waiting for Jeff Goldblum to come and save the day from the delusional creator of the theme park.

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    So far actually I'm loving this series. Zero complaints. There's enough intrigue dropped in to each episode to make you desperate to see the next one. The biggest thing for me so far is the ambience/mood though. It perfectly captures the sort of ironically tragic existence that the hosts have, while simultaneously challenging the supposed humanitarian interests of their creators. Like Jeffrey Wright's character, Bernard Lowe, is clearly trying to fill some void left by his own personal losses (trying to avoid spoilers), and is showing some compassion for his "children." But at the same time each host's existence is basically comprised solely of servitude and oftentimes pain, tragedy, death, horror, etc. And then they get up and do it all again the next day, none the wiser to the atrocities that transpired the day before.

It's a weird dichotomy how Lowe could apparently seem to care about the hosts as individuals and then willfully subject them to what they go through each day. Really sort of walks the line between what it means to be human, both for the hosts and their creators, and what it means to try to play God. I'm just loving the vibe of the whole thing, and I'm anxious to see where some of the hosts' abilities to recall prior days/lives leads, and where Ed Harris' storyline leads. Like what he's trying to find exactly.

Let's be honest though; the entire thing has been worth it so far just for the utterly badass orchestral version of "Paint It Black."

I'm wondering if at some point
      Spoiler: {option} 
    We find out that some of the supposedly human characters are actually hosts. Bernard seems like a prime candidate.

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    We find out that some of the supposedly human characters are actually hosts. Bernard seems like a prime candidate.
    Oooohhh I like that. That would be a great twist.

Latest episode was good. It's definitely a slow build but it is keeping my interest.

Anyone else thinking the man in black is Arnold?

Wasn't my first instinct since he was recognized by the command room people (they said he can do whatever he wants). The reaction he got from that person when he was like "I'm trying to enjoy my vacation" makes me think he is just a super rich dude with an obsession.

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    I am not sure what to make of anything in the show right now. I found this last episode to be underwhelming. I get it, hosts are finding out shit's whack, Dolores is a girl in a blue dress going down the rabbit hole and everyone in the office is afraid to spill the beans on their true goals. There were some solid nuggets in this episode - the pyro effects scene made me laugh - but it was so damn slow. Go somewhere already!
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

Boom.

Things got a little juicy in the last episode.

Senior Member Midget Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Boom.

Things got a little juicy in the last episode.
    Good episode last night and that was a shocker, but who else?
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by paddynyc View Post
    Good episode last night and that was a shocker, but who else?
    Too hard to predict really.

But what I think is happening is that Ford is using dead bodies and, essentially, reanimating them. That's why there have been a couple of references to cadavers, Ford re-built his family, Bernard was probably killed and brought back, and I think Elsie will be too. That could also be the larger experiment that Hale was hinting at earlier on. They're not talking about robots in park, they're talking about, essentially, never-ending life, particularly if they're able to figure out how exactly memory and improvisation work together.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Too hard to predict really.

But what I think is happening is that Ford is using dead bodies and, essentially, reanimating them. That's why there have been a couple of references to cadavers, Ford re-built his family, Bernard was probably killed and brought back, and I think Elsie will be too. That could also be the larger experiment that Hale was hinting at earlier on. They're not talking about robots in park, they're talking about, essentially, never-ending life, particularly if they're able to figure out how exactly memory and improvisation work together.

The last episode kind of blew open the door of anyone possibly being a host.

Moderator Junior Division
    The last episode kind of blew open the door of anyone possibly being a host.
    Agreed. I'm not really a fan of that, personally.

His name is... BSBH Prospect
    So...

Are you guys familiar with the time lines theory? The show is actually accounting for 3 different time periods in the park's history. One during the early stages, prior to Arnold dying, but after they've opened. The second, the arrival of William, and the third the story of the man in black. Now what links these together, is that Bernard may in fact be a copy of Arnold, and the Man in Black may actually be William. There's a lot more to it, but that's the gist. I encourage giving it a read.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.vanit...?client=safari

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN View Post
    So...

Are you guys familiar with the time lines theory? The show is actually accounting for 3 different time periods in the park's history. One during the early stages, prior to Arnold dying, but after they've opened. The second, the arrival of William, and the third the story of the man in black. Now what links these together, is that Bernard may in fact be a copy of Arnold, and the Man in Black may actually be William. There's a lot more to it, but that's the gist. I encourage giving it a read.

Yeah it seems plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN View Post
    So...

Delores has memories of the man in black raping her, kinda debunking the man in black theory. I don't buy the timeline theory. That would be too confusing and a really bad twist to story lines that could allow the writers to switch things up to make a shitty story work.

My theory? Just about the whole cast are hosts, including Theresa. Letting Maeve run wild is pretty dumb as the staff and upper management notice everything..
    ]

His name is... BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Delores has memories of the man in black raping her, kinda debunking the man in black theory. I don't buy the timeline theory. That would be too confusing and a really bad twist to story lines that could allow the writers to switch things up to make a shitty story work.

My theory? Just about the whole cast are hosts, including Theresa. Letting Maeve run wild is pretty dumb as the staff and upper management notice everything..
    ]
    The rape is just inferred, we don't know that to be the case. The Man In Black never shows any interest in sex in the park, like William, and uses traumatic events to trigger events within the hosts.

The whole cast may be hosts, that's very possible. But I don't think it debunks any time line theory. One thing to also note, the W in West World is different in William's visit than the present day/MIB's visit.

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    I don't think that the Main in Black raped Dolores. Pretty much on the basis of what John said which is kind of implied with the MiB showing up in Maeve's memory as well as Dolores'. I doubt he's a rapist at all. With him mentioning "when you're suffering, that's when you're most real" and using that as a means of finding more regarding the maze I think he'd have exploited that method before.

Another option is that considering he's carrying a knife in both Dolores and Maeve's memories it could've been him scalping them until he found that Kissy's scalp contained the maze symbol.

The time frame theory works even more if you buy that Dolores has embarked on the journey she first went on with William again, this time by herself, which explains the appearance and reapparance of certain characters.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast