Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77

Thread: HBO's 'Westworld'

  1. #1
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,104
    Rep Power
    417

    HBO's 'Westworld'

    Trailer here: https://youtu.be/niFjn-uax3M

    Believe this starts soon this Fall. Hopkins alone has my attention. Definitely going to give this a go.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    Senior Member Midget Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    2,526
    Rep Power
    16
    Looking forward to this show
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

  3. #3
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,104
    Rep Power
    417
    Starts Sunday, right?
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  4. #4
    Senior Member Midget Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    2,526
    Rep Power
    16
    Glad it is starting this Sunday needed something to watch on Sunday's after Ray Donavan
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

  5. #5
    His name is... BSBH Prospect
    JOHN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    16,006
    Rep Power
    123
    Starting off, I wasn't a fan. The first 10 minutes are actually somewhat annoying. However, as the episode played out I found it enthralling. Next week looks to be much better too.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Midget Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    2,526
    Rep Power
    16
    Yes, it took a while for me also to get into, but got better as it went along.
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

  7. #7
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Ba Ba Bluey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Section 418 / Central Jersey
    Posts
    4,376
    Rep Power
    76
    Watched it twice...still confused.

  8. #8
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,503
    Rep Power
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Ba Ba Bluey View Post
    Watched it twice...still confused.
    I found it relatively straight forward. Try thinking about it as a set up for a bunch of different story lines. They weren't explaining a lot because all the episode was meant to do was open a bunch of doors. That and get you intrigued by the concept of a theme park for adults using robots to create a wild west fantasy.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  9. #9
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    133
    I thought this was pretty awesome - basically iRobot but a Western lol. I'm mostly curious by Ed Harris' character. He's posed as a tourist but I think the way he digs - no pun intended - hints at something more. And, hopefully, this isn't the last we see of Peter Abernathy, as his emotion hints at the overall development of the hosts.

    I don't really get some of the imagery - the milk, mostly - but overall it has a great aesthetic. The music, I thought, was incredible, with Paint it Black and Black Hole Sun in "Western" style.

  10. #10
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,195
    Rep Power
    486
    Made more sense when I found out it was a remake and did some research on the original.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,109
    Rep Power
    68
    Thought it was pretty cool. The original movie scared me as a kid, though I don't really remember it very well.

    Not exactly sure how long such a series can last. Better be a one season or two deal. Could get old and stale fast.

  12. #12
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Thought it was pretty cool. The original movie scared me as a kid, though I don't really remember it very well.

    Not exactly sure how long such a series can last. Better be a one season or two deal. Could get old and stale fast.
    I wonder about that too. It's kind of earmarked as a replacement for GoT, but I don't see how it can have the longevity.

    Unless it's just sort of a revolving door of humanoids trying to figure out their "purpose" - or whatever you want to call it - and never getting to that end, I don't see how the show can have more than a couple of seasons. Maybe they'll kind of go with the Walking Dead model where it's about zombies (humanoids) but not zombies (humanoids), but I'm not sure how that would have much emotional appeal.

  13. #13
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,503
    Rep Power
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I wonder about that too. It's kind of earmarked as a replacement for GoT, but I don't see how it can have the longevity.

    Unless it's just sort of a revolving door of humanoids trying to figure out their "purpose" - or whatever you want to call it - and never getting to that end, I don't see how the show can have more than a couple of seasons. Maybe they'll kind of go with the Walking Dead model where it's about zombies (humanoids) but not zombies (humanoids), but I'm not sure how that would have much emotional appeal.
    Let me preface this by saying I've never seen an episode of the Walking Dead, but assuming we aren't following any particular zombies for their personalities, there is your difference. There is a very clear reason the AIs in WestWorld have their memories wiped each day. And presuming that stops, they will likely develop personalities, or at least the appearance of them which would be enough for viewers, I would think.

    From there, you can create relationships among them, power struggles assuming it is going to be AI vs human in some form. You can have humans cooperating with the AI group and AIs cooperating with the human group. You can really run with it on a more epic scale if you want (and the writing is good). Heck, you could set up a whole Steven King's The Stand like map where both groups form their own societies in a future which is trending towards dystopia at the human level.

    Or some of the people we think of as human running this could turn out to be AI. That would open up something completely different. The AI could be creating their own army, while having Humans funding it through the "theme park".
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  14. #14
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    133
    Yea - that's all possible. But having AI vs. Humans (which it will, inevitably, be) really only makes sense if there is some end game, or some group you're supposed to root for. An endless power struggle doesn't really make for great TV I don't think.

    Maybe the greatest strength of GoT is that all of the politicking and plotlines are leading to something greater. We don't explicitly know what it is but, at the same time, we do. On the flip side, the Walking Dead struggles because none of their plot lines go anywhere. They just go to the next plotline so it's just all very repetitive. With Westworld's narrow scope, I don't see how it can hand any endgame like GoT and still last. GoT has a huge world and limitless backstories that it can build upon. The theme park certainly doesn't seem to have that.

  15. #15
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,503
    Rep Power
    335
    I quickly glanced at the Wiki page for the original and apparently there were three different theme parks. Wild West, Midieval and Ancient Rome. They could do a season on each evolving and then a fourth season bringing it all together.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  16. #16
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,109
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I've never seen an episode of the Walking Dead, but assuming we aren't following any particular zombies for their personalities, there is your difference. There is a very clear reason the AIs in WestWorld have their memories wiped each day. And presuming that stops, they will likely develop personalities, or at least the appearance of them which would be enough for viewers, I would think.

    From there, you can create relationships among them, power struggles assuming it is going to be AI vs human in some form. You can have humans cooperating with the AI group and AIs cooperating with the human group. You can really run with it on a more epic scale if you want (and the writing is good). Heck, you could set up a whole Steven King's The Stand like map where both groups form their own societies in a future which is trending towards dystopia at the human level.

    Or some of the people we think of as human running this could turn out to be AI. That would open up something completely different. The AI could be creating their own army, while having Humans funding it through the "theme park".
    But then it's Jurassic Park.

    Evil/ego driven owner of horribly gone wrong theme park is too stubborn to shut it all down... Is anyone going to sit through more than two seasons of "we should shut it all down, it's going to far and people are dying.." " no, this has never been done before and I want to keep it open, fuck humans, my robots are better".. idk man boring...
    Last edited by The Dude; 10-06-2016 at 05:41 PM.

  17. #17
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,503
    Rep Power
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    But then it's Jurassic Park.

    Evil/ego driven owner of horribly gone wrong theme park is too stubborn to shut it all down... Is anyone going to sit through more than two seasons of "we should shut it all down, it's going to far and people are dying.." " no, this has never been done before and I want to keep it open, fuck humans, my robots are better".. idk man boring...
    Maybe. I've never seen Jurassic Park, but with thinking beings, it may not be a "shut it all down" thing because they might not be able to. I'm thinking robots hunting humans while humans run and hide. More Terminator without the time travel than what you're talking about.

  18. #18
    Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Jules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    18,809
    Rep Power
    126
    The "what's next" trailer after the first episode clearly implied the trouble isn't staying within the virtual park. It's definitely going to be a story about reality and fiction blending together.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

  19. #19
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    So Nashty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,371
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    The "what's next" trailer after the first episode clearly implied the trouble isn't staying within the virtual park. It's definitely going to be a story about reality and fiction blending together.
    the whats next looked amazing. first episode was good but I was still on the fence until I saw the "whats next"

  20. #20
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,104
    Rep Power
    417

    HBO's 'Westworld'

    Yeah, this one's going the way of Ex Machina. Really dig the concept. The host acting is phenomenal, too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •