Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77

Thread: Police Shoot, Kill Oklahoma Man With His Hands Up

  1. #1
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,263
    Rep Power
    358

    Police Shoot, Kill Oklahoma Man With His Hands Up

    According to the local newspaper Tulsa World, police were responding to an unrelated call on Friday, September 16, when they spotted Crutcher’s stalled car. We don’t know what happened when police arrived at the scene. Instead, the videos begin as Crutcher is guided by officers, one of whom is aiming her gun at him, slowly to his car. He has his hands up during this time.

    Police say that Crutcher then failed to follow orders — leading officer Betty Shelby to fire her weapon and officer Tyler Turnbough to use his Taser on Crutcher. By the looks of the videos, the Taser and gun were seemingly fired almost simultaneously.

    The videos — one a police dashboard camera on the ground, another on a helicopter in the air — are obstructed by officers and Crutcher’s car at the exact moment he was shot. That makes it hard to discern whether Crutcher had his hands up right as Shelby pulled the trigger.

    But Crutcher had his hands up in the air until at least the seconds before he was shot, and he appears — although, again, it’s hard to say for sure — to put his hands on the roof of his car right before the officer fired.

    Police found no gun on Crutcher or in his car.

    An investigation into the shooting is currently underway.
    http://usuncut.com/black-lives-matte...her-hands-air/

    Video here: https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,362
    Rep Power
    53
    When will it stop?

    Edit - I try to withhold judgment on a lot of these cases, but this and the one where the dude was shot with his disabled patient (or whatever that situation was) seem a lot more objective than some of these other cases.

    Can't wait for more facts to come out about this one. It doesn't look too good for the officers.
    Last edited by booze and wingz; 09-19-2016 at 10:39 PM.
    MacKinnon > Stepan and Kreider?
    Barrie > Staal + 1st?

  3. #3
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    It'll stop when people stop ignoring the problem.

  4. #4
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,362
    Rep Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It'll stop when people stop ignoring the problem.
    This is going to sound facetious, but it's not meant to be - What's the problem?
    MacKinnon > Stepan and Kreider?
    Barrie > Staal + 1st?

  5. #5
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    This is going to sound facetious, but it's not meant to be - What's the problem?
    I'll post this text from a friend.

    ##

    Let's play everyone's favorite home game, "Guess What Color He Was".

    1) Man shot with reaching for his insurance card that the police officer asked him for.

    2) Man shot with his hands in the air, ten feet away from police and following orders.

    3) Man lying on his stomach trying to talk down a mentally challenged man next to him shot by police.

    4) Man waving a gun around wildly, yelling I'm going to kill every last one of you, not shot.

  6. #6
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,688
    Rep Power
    183
    The data doesn't support that argument.

  7. #7
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    The data doesn't support that argument.
    Instance does.

  8. #8
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,822
    Rep Power
    265
    I think it's good that the Tulsa PD released the videos so quickly, and that the chief addressed the media condemning what happened. He didn't appear to just being PC, he sounded genuine and looked pissed.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  9. #9
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,348
    Rep Power
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    I think it's good that the Tulsa PD released the videos so quickly, and that the chief addressed the media condemning what happened. He didn't appear to just being PC, he sounded genuine and looked pissed.
    This. This is what will stop these types of incidents. Police policing themselves, prosecutors going after those police who do break the law with the same effort as anyone else and juries weighting these cases on the facts and finding police guilty if they are guilty.

  10. #10
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,197
    Rep Power
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    When will it stop?

    Edit - I try to withhold judgment on a lot of these cases, but this and the one where the dude was shot with his disabled patient (or whatever that situation was) seem a lot more objective than some of these other cases.

    Can't wait for more facts to come out about this one. It doesn't look too good for the officers.
    Agreed.

    This one looks pretty plain. We'll never really know what an officer is thinking, and I think there's generally a lot more grey area than generally gets accounted for, but this one seems pretty black and white.

  11. #11
    Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    SaveByRichter35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,919
    Rep Power
    23
    Yea this one was really ugly. I tend to give cops the benefit of the doubt on these situations since more times than not it ends up being justified in the end. This one is just bad. From one cop tazing him and the other cop shooting him seconds later, to the comments by the pilot saying "this looks like a bad dude"...just ugly for the Tulsa PD. I saw there was another one in either North or South Carolina but I didn't see any video on it yet. Can't comment on that situation.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,513
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'll post this text from a friend.

    ##

    Let's play everyone's favorite home game, "Guess What Color He Was".

    1) Man shot with reaching for his insurance card that the police officer asked him for.

    2) Man shot with his hands in the air, ten feet away from police and following orders.

    3) Man lying on his stomach trying to talk down a mentally challenged man next to him shot by police.

    4) Man waving a gun around wildly, yelling I'm going to kill every last one of you, not shot.
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here but are you suggesting that these officers involved see this as an opportunity to shoot an unarmed black man and do it?

  13. #13
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,513
    Rep Power
    34
    Maybe this was going through the Oklahoma officer's mind?

    http://lawofficer.com/2016/09/the-ky...ulsa-incident/

  14. #14
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here but are you suggesting that these officers involved see this as an opportunity to shoot an unarmed black man and do it?
    I'm guessing my friend is suggesting that there are numerous instances where cops have given more leeway to white people who pose a large threat, than minorities who don't.

  15. #15
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Maybe this was going through the Oklahoma officer's mind?

    http://lawofficer.com/2016/09/the-ky...ulsa-incident/
    Cops can't just go around shooting people because, maybe, this might be a similar situation to that.

    Crutcher was being tased by one officer while being shot by the other....seems like a disproportionate response.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,513
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm guessing my friend is suggesting that there are numerous instances where cops have given more leeway to white people who pose a large threat, than minorities who don't.
    For those instances that your friend mentioned I could probably give you 400 where the cop waited too long and paid for it. As much as I'd like to sit on the sideline and monday morning quarterback every decision that's made, I know every situation is unique. I wish none of these situations had to happen but I would never suggest even for one second that the officers acted with some type of premeditation like some have offered (not you).

  17. #17
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,513
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Cops can't just go around shooting people because, maybe, this might be a similar situation to that.

    Crutcher was being tased by one officer while being shot by the other....seems like a disproportionate response.
    Agreed...just trying to give some insight. That video I posted was also in Oklahoma and certainly is used as a training tool there. I can't tell you why she shot and he tazed. I guess that will come out during the investigation.

  18. #18
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    For those instances that your friend mentioned I could probably give you 400 where the cop waited too long and paid for it. As much as I'd like to sit on the sideline and monday morning quarterback every decision that's made, I know every situation is unique. I wish none of these situations had to happen but I would never suggest even for one second that the officers acted with some type of premeditation like some have offered (not you).
    I don't see anyone (on this board) suggesting any such thing.

    Do I think cops pull up to a scene and say "black guy... Gonna have to shoot him"? No.

    But they're clearly perceiving black folks to be a larger threat than white folks and trigger fingers are itchy.

    White guy waves gun and threatens to kill all.... Lives.

    Black guy has hands up, leans over, gets tased and shot dead.

    Something seems off there. That's just me.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,513
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't see anyone (on this board) suggesting any such thing.

    Do I think cops pull up to a scene and say "black guy... Gonna have to shoot him"? No.

    But they're clearly perceiving black folks to be a larger threat than white folks and trigger fingers are itchy.

    White guy waves gun and threatens to kill all.... Lives.

    Black guy has hands up, leans over, gets tased and shot dead.

    Something seems off there. That's just me.
    This is painting with a broad brush and not accurate. You're buying in to what the media has been portraying. They want you to believe that's the case but its not. The Charlotte thing is just another example of this.

    Black guy, hands up, failing to follow lawful orders to stop moving and continues to walk towards his car which the officers have no idea what's in there. Did he deserve to get shot? Probably not. Would he have been shot if he just stopped moving to his car? Probably not.

  20. #20
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    This is painting with a broad brush and not accurate. You're buying in to what the media has been portraying. They want you to believe that's the case but its not. The Charlotte thing is just another example of this.

    Black guy, hands up, failing to follow lawful orders to stop moving and continues to walk towards his car which the officers have no idea what's in there. Did he deserve to get shot? Probably not. Would he have been shot if he just stopped moving to his car? Probably not.
    That's flat out victim blaming.

    Flirty girls wouldn't get raped if they weren't flirty...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •