Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Milo Yiannopoulos

  1. #1
    They call me Shaq Bantam Division
    Mentosman42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    montauk ny
    Posts
    1,456
    Rep Power
    45

    Milo Yiannopoulos

    So Milo just came out with a new article "How To Make Women Happy: Uninvent The Washing Machine And The Pill"(http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/0...y-of-humanity/).

    If you know who Milo is, you know he is a fervent anti-feminist but my question is, how is his viewpoint any different then the Muslims he hates so much? He consistently rails against Islam for its social enslavement of women but at the same time says how the root of all womens unhappiness is the fact that they should be home makers and not going to school and establishing themselves in the workplace.

    How this man gained any traction is absolutely mind blowing, a flamboyant gay man complaining about the feminization of men. I recently saw him on CNN and wanted to drive to their office in the city and slap someone in the head.
    Last edited by Mentosman42; 08-29-2016 at 12:09 PM.
    ___________LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. #2
    Member Mite Division Costa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    11784
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    6
    Mr. Yiannopoulos is what is known as an "agent provocateur" AND the fact that he's ghey, he thinks he has "special privileges". So have fun with that.
    THANK YOU, FOKK YOU, BYE!!!!

  3. #3
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ BSBH Prospect
    Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,150
    Rep Power
    184
    It's almost like people don't brand themselves and have contradictory hot-takes on things so people continue to talk about them
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

    Regards,

    Patrick Bateman

    Sent from my iPhone

  4. #4
    They call me Shaq Bantam Division
    Mentosman42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    montauk ny
    Posts
    1,456
    Rep Power
    45
    The provocative nature of his writing isnt what I am even trying to question, its how the logic of his arguments fit together. Its obvious he writes in a certain way to get clicks but it is also very obvious that he believes in the hardcore anti-feminism he preaches when you see interviews with him(such as the Joe Rogan Experience).

    For example in the article I linked to he talks about how one of the reasons women are "so unhappy" is because they are now doing the hard work that men were previously doing on their own and are now sharing in the misery. If you read his writings on the topic of income inequality for example he will say that women make less because they dont do the hard work men do. If you read about Islam he will say that Islam tries to enslave women, turn them into baby making machines, and chain them to the kitchen, but then you read one of his anti-feminist writings and he talks about how women should be baby making machines and keep their butts in the kitchen.



    The fact that people cannot either remember or see the absolute silliness of his conflicting view points make me think that as a society we are either getting more stupid or our memories are just becoming so short that people dont remember what they read yesterday.
    ___________LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  5. #5
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    I agree with him.

    The role of the housewife has been thoroughly and ritually humiliated by successive waves of feminism — as if raising well-adjusted children, keeping a beautiful home and marrying a loving husband is worthy of derision and ridicule.
    ^ That's it. That's the only thing I agree with.

  6. #6
    gangsta member Junior Division
    BlairBettsBlocksEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,661
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I agree with him.


    ^ That's it. That's the only thing I agree with.
    problem is, he and his supporters believe it's the only role.
    __________________________________

  7. #7
    ಠ_ಠ BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    80,516
    Rep Power
    351
    How he's gained traction isn't that crazy, actually. Ironically, one of the biggest root causes for the rise of Milo (and those like him) is the uprising of the intolerant Safe Spacers and Fourth Wave Feminists. Two groups that aren't actually mutually exclusive, but are part of a larger group Maajid Nawaz coined the "regressive Left". They've hijacked the left, or what's left of it, and fourth wave feminism (the type you see Milo fight in his amateur writing) is one of the louder voices in that sea of social justice warring.

    People like Milo are actually easy to combat with good ideas because so many of his ideas are factually inaccurate and demonstrably -- for lack of a better word -- bad. The problem I always see, however, is that instead of actually countering his ideas with better ones, the SJW's who despise him try to shout him down and demand that his "hate speech" not be allowed in the first place -- something that is actually diametrically opposed to the concept of free speech (something they hypocritically claim to favor and revere). In their crusade for tolerance and multiculturalism they often erect and stand on a platform of intolerance and refuse to fight bad ideas with good ones. Instead, they fight bad ideas with worse ones like censorship, "safe spaces", and "trigger warnings". Because of this, Milo finds a corner to fight in and out of where the entire conversation and the blame is shifted to these mostly angsty college kids for not understanding how to effectively fight ideas they disagree with instead of being used against the bad ideas themselves. Add to this the pleasure he gets out of riling them up on this very fact and you've got a recipe for disaster. And all the while the left continues to eat itself in chase of silencing him, not understanding the entire time that they're going about this all wrong.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  8. #8
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,264
    Rep Power
    318
    This is all very much child's play. Milo and his opposition are all adolescents playing at real world social issues. They rant. They whine. They throw their temper tantrums.

    We had them when I was a teenager or a twenty something too. They aren't new. What's new is the megaphone they have in the way of the Internet. Back in my day, they'd chew your ear off at the local diner or student center. Maybe five of them would band together and hand out poorly photo copied leaflets.

    The Internet though, it rises the cream of the crap so that someone like Milo, an amusing caricature, finds himself with a million followers. And Internet "news" outlets gather up these social voices and give them even more of a platform.

    These people aren't experts in their field. They don't have any significant insight. What they do is offer an extreme take on one side of a social argument that resonates with those who identify with it.

    Neither side will advance causes though. They aren't interested in the leg work that takes. They just want to yell, and while yelling be cheered. They are narcissists.

    That's not to say they don't touch on real issues from time to time. Just that they will never be part of the solution or advancement towards a solution. If anything, they turn their position into an easily attacked joke, making it harder on those who seek real change and the work that goes with that.

    But hey, look at all those retweets!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division AliveIn94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    589
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    How he's gained traction isn't that crazy, actually. Ironically, one of the biggest root causes for the rise of Milo (and those like him) is the uprising of the intolerant Safe Spacers and Fourth Wave Feminists. Two groups that aren't actually mutually exclusive, but are part of a larger group Maajid Nawaz coined the "regressive Left". They've hijacked the left, or what's left of it, and fourth wave feminism (the type you see Milo fight in his amateur writing) is one of the louder voices in that sea of social justice warring.

    People like Milo are actually easy to combat with good ideas because so many of his ideas are factually inaccurate and demonstrably -- for lack of a better word -- bad. The problem I always see, however, is that instead of actually countering his ideas with better ones, the SJW's who despise him try to shout him down and demand that his "hate speech" not be allowed in the first place -- something that is actually diametrically opposed to the concept of free speech (something they hypocritically claim to favor and revere). In their crusade for tolerance and multiculturalism they often erect and stand on a platform of intolerance and refuse to fight bad ideas with good ones. Instead, they fight bad ideas with worse ones like censorship, "safe spaces", and "trigger warnings". Because of this, Milo finds a corner to fight in and out of where the entire conversation and the blame is shifted to these mostly angsty college kids for not understanding how to effectively fight ideas they disagree with instead of being used against the bad ideas themselves. Add to this the pleasure he gets out of riling them up on this very fact and you've got a recipe for disaster. And all the while the left continues to eat itself in chase of silencing him, not understanding the entire time that they're going about this all wrong.

    Great point. I don't agree with him, but I'm sure he admitted at some point that he is a troll, and he keeps getting fed. It says something about your views when you get the Left and the Right on the same side.

  10. #10
    They call me Shaq Bantam Division
    Mentosman42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    montauk ny
    Posts
    1,456
    Rep Power
    45
    The point I was trying to make is Milo's logic is no different than the people he hates and I fail to understand how people cannot see something this obvious. I understand why he says the things he says, its just that its also very easy to see that he is no different than the extreme fems he rails against. One of his recent articles was about how the feminist movement "created" the alt-right because the feminist extremism causes people to go further to the right. The part he doesnt say is that its a two way street, when he goes to a college campus and says what he says just to rile up the other side he is just pushing them even further into extreme feminism.


    I understand his purpose, he is making people talk about him, what I dont understand is how people can be so blind to what he is doing and accept it as reality. This society of rabble rousers getting major attention makes me sad for our future.
    ___________LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  11. #11
    ಠ_ಠ BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    80,516
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by AliveIn94 View Post
    Great point. I don't agree with him, but I'm sure he admitted at some point that he is a troll, and he keeps getting fed. It says something about your views when you get the Left and the Right on the same side.
    I'm a big fan of the horseshoe theory on this. It does a great job of explaining that particular phenomena.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  12. #12
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    12,901
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentosman42 View Post
    The point I was trying to make is Milo's logic is no different than the people he hates and I fail to understand how people cannot see something this obvious. I understand why he says the things he says, its just that its also very easy to see that he is no different than the extreme fems he rails against. One of his recent articles was about how the feminist movement "created" the alt-right because the feminist extremism causes people to go further to the right. The part he doesnt say is that its a two way street, when he goes to a college campus and says what he says just to rile up the other side he is just pushing them even further into extreme feminism.


    I understand his purpose, he is making people talk about him, what I dont understand is how people can be so blind to what he is doing and accept it as reality. This society of rabble rousers getting major attention makes me sad for our future.
    The same can be said about politicians too. Look how blindly people follow the Republicans or Democrats and believe every word each side they associate with says. Problem is that too many people don't actually look into what people say and get the actual facts behind what these two sides say. Our kids and grandkids are going to have a lot of shit to try to clean up when we are gone. We have screwed up their futures badly with the politicians in charge and to be in charge.

  13. #13
    Moderator Midget Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    4,871
    Rep Power
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentosman42 View Post
    I understand his purpose, he is making people talk about him, what I dont understand is how people can be so blind to what he is doing and accept it as reality. This society of rabble rousers getting major attention makes me sad for our future.
    Welcome to America...

  14. #14
    Senior Member Bantam Division Tonybologna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,246
    Rep Power
    15
    To play devil's advocate, there's a large difference between being forced into that role (Islam) and saying that role, if chosen, will make women happier.

  15. #15
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,457
    Rep Power
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonybologna View Post
    To play devil's advocate, there's a large difference between being forced into that role (Islam) and saying that role, if chosen, will make women happier.
    Don't even play devils advocate, the premise doesn't hold water unless you're comparing the life of a house wife in North America to a Muslim woman in a Muslim country. Apples and oranges.

    Obviously Milo will sensationalize but as always, lots of truth there. 1 in 4 women now on antidepressants http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1098023.html

    Great job feminism! Way to turn women in to shitty dudes!

    How could forgoing raising children to go to some shitty job be a good choice? It makes zero sense.

    Obviously, everybody is different and women work for all kinds of reasons, some good reasons, some reasons of necessity (looking at you pos absentee fathers) and some, I assume, are even good at their jobs but speaking very, very generally I think it's a bad idea to have other people raise your children for the benefit of bonus financial power.

    Besides mounting evidence that women are miserable, I've talked to the women in my life and they agree. They're happier at home.

    Again, I'm not saying women should exclusively stay at home and pump children out but the view that they should go to work and focus only on their careers is just as extremist and possibly more damaging. More damaging to them, more damaging to their children and more damaging to society as a whole.

    Stay at home mothers have an incredibly important job, much more important than mine, it's time they got the respect they deserve.

  16. #16
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Don't even play devils advocate, the premise doesn't hold water unless you're comparing the life of a house wife in North America to a Muslim woman in a Muslim country. Apples and oranges.

    Obviously Milo will sensationalize but as always, lots of truth there. 1 in 4 women now on antidepressants http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1098023.html

    Great job feminism! Way to turn women in to shitty dudes!

    How could forgoing raising children to go to some shitty job be a good choice? It makes zero sense.

    Obviously, everybody is different and women work for all kinds of reasons, some good reasons, some reasons of necessity (looking at you pos absentee fathers) and some, I assume, are even good at their jobs but speaking very, very generally I think it's a bad idea to have other people raise your children for the benefit of bonus financial power.

    Besides mounting evidence that women are miserable, I've talked to the women in my life and they agree. They're happier at home.

    Again, I'm not saying women should exclusively stay at home and pump children out but the view that they should go to work and focus only on their careers is just as extremist and possibly more damaging. More damaging to them, more damaging to their children and more damaging to society as a whole.

    Stay at home mothers have an incredibly important job, much more important than mine, it's time they got the respect they deserve.
    God..Where to begin.

    The HuffPo article you sourced is from 2011.

    My wife works out of necessity, because college here (unlike University in Canada) isn't fucking cheap. I'm not an absentee father. We also have to pay for ur healthcare (damn your socialism!) She also loves her job, is in insanely good at it, and appreciates being able to converse with adults a few times a week. Her company headquarters is in the GTA, and the owner of her company can't stop promoting her.

    Great job, generalizations and blanket statements!

    Awesome that the anecdotal evidence supports your opinion. I'd love to know how diverse your peer group is for an accurate cross section. I'm assuming it's made of of alot of people who share your demographic.

    And of course, let's ignore the socialization skills that kids learn in daycare, plus what they can learn from professionals who's ob it is to educate youth...(apologies, my cousin is a trained daycare professional)...because clearly learning, sharing, experiencing diversity, isn't a good idea at all, it's just "letting other people raise your kids".

    This narrow view of the world, from only a limited perspective, seriously frightens me.

  17. #17
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,457
    Rep Power
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    God..Where to begin.

    The HuffPo article you sourced is from 2011.

    My wife works out of necessity, because college here (unlike University in Canada) isn't fucking cheap. I'm not an absentee father. We also have to pay for ur healthcare (damn your socialism!) She also loves her job, is in insanely good at it, and appreciates being able to converse with adults a few times a week. Her company headquarters is in the GTA, and the owner of her company can't stop promoting her.

    Great job, generalizations and blanket statements!

    Awesome that the anecdotal evidence supports your opinion. I'd love to know how diverse your peer group is for an accurate cross section. I'm assuming it's made of of alot of people who share your demographic.

    And of course, let's ignore the socialization skills that kids learn in daycare, plus what they can learn from professionals who's ob it is to educate youth...(apologies, my cousin is a trained daycare professional)...because clearly learning, sharing, experiencing diversity, isn't a good idea at all, it's just "letting other people raise your kids".

    This narrow view of the world, from only a limited perspective, seriously frightens me.
    Right, that's why I said there are a lot of good reasons why women work. My wife works too, I don't like it while our kids are young, but she wants to stay relevant in her field so I understand.

    I went to University for one year and was $15,000 in debt, is that not expensive enough for you? State schools are no more expensive in the US.

    As for the demographic issue, my two best friends at work, one was born Saskatchewan trailer park trash who's married to an Ethiopian woman, he's my boss, 29 yo with 4 kids, his wife will never work. Not that they couldn't use the money, it's just not what they want.

    Other guy is Ethiopian himself married to an Ethiopian. 3 girls. Same deal.

    Those 7 kids are all black obviously, and I bet they all turn out to be successes in whatever they do. Wonder why? What a mystery! Big Trump fans by the way.

    I do agree socializing children is important but I find the day care argument for that is just coincidental. There's a hundred ways to socialize children, not slagging daycare either, we use it, it's generally positive. Kids like it. Employees are great. I just don't think dropping your kid off at 7 am and picking them up at 6 pm five days a week is ideal. Is that controversial?
    Last edited by Dunny; 09-03-2016 at 10:48 PM.

  18. #18
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Right, that's why I said there are a lot of good reasons why women work. My wife works too, I don't like it while our kids are young, but she wants to stay relevant in her field so I understand.

    I went to University for one year and was $15,000 in debt, is that not expensive enough for you? State schools are no more expensive in the US.

    As for the demographic issue, my two best friends at work, one was born Saskatchewan trailer park trash who's married to an Ethiopian woman, he's my boss, 29 yo with 4 kids, his wife will never work. Not that they couldn't use the money, it's just not what they want.

    Other guy is Ethiopian himself married to an Ethiopian. 3 girls. Same deal.

    Those 7 kids are all black obviously, and I bet they all turn out to be successes in whatever they do. Wonder why? What a mystery! Big Trump fans by the way.

    I do agree socializing children is important but I find the day care argument for that is just coincidental. There's a hundred ways to socialize children, not slagging daycare either, we use it, it's generally positive. Kids like it. Employees are great. I just don't think dropping your kid off at 7 am and picking them up at 6 pm five days a week is ideal. Is that controversial?
    Is it ideal? Maybe not blame the erosion of the middle class, which people like Trump are responsible for.

    But this is a Milo thread. I'm happy to continue a Trump debate elsewhere.

    The fact is, unless a man is actually the one having to decide between having a career and having a kid, which is a choice neither of us had to make, then they've just got no idea how hard that choice is for women...so maybe they should pipe down.

    It's a women's issue.

    Also, I apologize for any assumptions I made about your peer group. Moment of frustration, and not really relevant to the discussion.

  19. #19
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,457
    Rep Power
    176
    That's OK, I work hard to maintain my white bread, hay seed image

  20. #20
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,264
    Rep Power
    318
    Women should ideally have the same choice men have when it comes to child raising. If a family can afford for only one parent to work, they are happy with the resources that brings in and one of the parents want to stay home with children then great. If both parents want to work and feel that some form of day care is best for their child(ren), that's great. If both parents have to work to make ends meet, that's fine too.

    What should happen, in my opinion, is that people should stay the fuck out of other people's family decisions. In general. With work choices, among others.

    What likely makes women in the work force unhappy is that they aren't just considered members of the work force. They are made to feel like they are neglecting their children, their husbands and their homes. Because people can't just mind their own business and make their own choices. They feel like they should have some say in what other folks decide. They shouldn't. They should keep their mouths shut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •