Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Twitter Bans Milo Yiannopoulos After Targeted Abuse

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Because it would be racist to block BLM

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Wiki Leaks is all over this pointing out alllllll the racist tweets from the "victim".
    Inconsequential. I'm not sure where the notion that someone else's guilt of something absolves you of your own. It doesn't. We see politicians use this ploy all the time. At the highest level. Trump and Hillary spend a lot of time pointing out each other's failings as if it makes their own irrelevant.

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Inconsequential. I'm not sure where the notion that someone else's guilt of something absolves you of your own. It doesn't. We see politicians use this ploy all the time. At the highest level. Trump and Hillary spend a lot of time pointing out each other's failings as if it makes their own irrelevant.
    We're talking about Twitter, it illustrates the extreme hypocrisy that is prevalent within the platform.

Conservative viewpoints are censored, progressive viewpoints are not. Ever. Even when actually inciting violence.

Is that their right? I suppose so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Dave Rubin also raised a really interesting and important point here. While this isn't actually a First Amendment issue, it is a free speech issue, and it's an important one when you consider the power of platforms like Facebook, Twitter and the rest of social media, which are largely new era battlegrounds for the exchange of ideas. Yes, the technical answer is "they're a private company and can do as they please", but there's an argument to be made that they owe the general public a little more, or certainly more transparency with regard to matters like this when they do end up banning a user over speech.
    No, they don't. You can't confuse something like Twitter, which is one of a billion websites that act as communications methods on the internet which something like the Telephone, Radio or TV which arguably become public utilities.

You know how I know Milo's speech wasn't infringed upon? Because he's still blathering on to anyone who cares to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    So then why is BLM not banned when their members have advocated for police being shot and killed? Thats violent and threatening, but they aren't banned. The problem is that they are being selective in the process.
    Are BLM targeting groups or individuals? That may be the dividing line for Twitter.

Are BLM targeting groups or individuals? That may be the dividing line for Twitter.
    No, the dividing line is pretty clearly Conservative vs. Progressive

Senior Member Midget Division
    As Chris pointed out, no one would care if Twitter wasn't selective with where they draw the line. Seems like certain groups have free reign to say as they please where as others are censored and later banned. Twitter as a private entity is entitled to do as the please, but that doesn't mean people can't view them as a hypicrital company and view them as a less legitimate outlet for news/media, etc.

Like it or not, Twitter is a huge, influential voice for many. This forum accepts tweets as legitimate confirmation of nhlpa transactions and during his campaign, many credited Twitter with helping Obama get elected.

It's disappointing that we can see Leslie make inflammatory "white boy" comments and fear no reprisal while people responding to said comments are banned. In the words of Rob Schneider in "big daddy", "this is bull shit. There should be same rules for everyone!"

We're talking about Twitter, it illustrates the extreme hypocrisy that is prevalent within the platform.

Conservative viewpoints are censored, progressive viewpoints are not. Ever. Even when actually inciting violence.

Is that their right? I suppose so.
    That's not how free speech works. Twitter is free to support or deny any form of protected speech they choose. The Conservative platform fought for that. They didn't want a Christian owned company to have to promote the gay agenda. So now it's hypocrisy when a company doesn't want to support a Conservative agenda?

And is twitter really going after all conservatives on their platform? Or just ones who they feel or vile?

Are these accounts on twitter banned:

https://twitter.com/rushlimbaugh
    https://twitter.com/seanhannity
    https://twitter.com/glennbeck

Etc, etc, etc

Actually, you don't believe that. Because really, you're talking about the hate speech of the Conservative party verses the hate speech of the Progressive movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    As Chris pointed out, no one would care if Twitter wasn't selective with where they draw the line. Seems like certain groups have free reign to say as they please where as others are censored and later banned. Twitter as a private entity is entitled to do as the please, but that doesn't mean people can't view them as a hypicrital company and view them as a less legitimate outlet for news/media, etc.

Like it or not, Twitter is a huge, influential voice for many. This forum accepts tweets as legitimate confirmation of nhlpa transactions and during his campaign, many credited Twitter with helping Obama get elected.

It's disappointing that we can see Leslie make inflammatory "white boy" comments and fear no reprisal while people responding to said comments are banned. In the words of Rob Schneider in "big daddy", "this is bull shit. There should be same rules for everyone!"
    Were you offended when Hobby Lobby didn't want to provide health care to their employees because birth control was covered? Were you offended when Christian bakers refused to bake wedding cakes for gay couples?

But when Twitter bans a bigot who harasses other users, that's not OK?

Senior Member Midget Division
    Were you offended when Hobby Lobby didn't want to provide health care to their employees because birth control was covered? Were you offended when Christian bakers refused to bake wedding cakes for gay couples?

But when Twitter bans a bigot who harasses other users, that's not OK?

I'm not offended at all, lol. And frankly, I don't see what one has to do with the other.

We're solely talking about Twitter playing favorites, which clearly discredits them as a legitimate source of information.

I clearly stated that they're a private entity and can do as they please, despite my and others viewing them as a lesser company for it. The same way I would view a baker who refuses to bake a cake for a gay couple as within his rights, but as an asshole.

I'm fairly conservative in many regards, but I'm pro choice and pro lgbtq rights. My girl friend and I planned a vacation with a gay couple yesterday lol. I'm he wrong guy to throw that example at lol.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    So then why is BLM not banned when their members have advocated for police being shot and killed? Thats violent and threatening, but they aren't banned. The problem is that they are being selective in the process.
    I know, I noted that Twitter might be hypocritical.

But really, in terms of banning one person, whether or not they ban XYZ is irrelevant.

\_(ツ)_/ BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Well, that's a different issue, but we agree on the principle issue we're talking about. The banning has the appearance of silencing only one specific group. Conservatives.

Black Lives Matter members, or those who claim membership at least, who call for violence and celebrate killing cops? That's OK. Ayatollah Khomeini calling for another Jewish holocaust? That's cool, too. Calling Leslie Jones a man? You've crossed a line.
    Even ISIS has a twitter presence
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    I'm not offended at all, lol. And frankly, I don't see what one has to do with the other.

We're solely talking about Twitter playing favorites, which clearly discredits them as a legitimate source of information.

I clearly stated that they're a private entity and can do as they please, despite my and others viewing them as a lesser company for it. The same way I would view a baker who refuses to bake a cake for a gay couple as within his rights, but as an asshole.

I'm fairly conservative in many regards, but I'm pro choice and pro lgbtq rights. My girl friend and I planned a vacation with a gay couple yesterday lol. I'm he wrong guy to throw that example at lol.
    What they have to do with each other is that no one, and that includes the owner of a company, should be forced to support speech they don't agree with. Do we call Phil a hypocrite because he bans people who spew hate speech here? No. He certainly allows many of us to attack those who promote hate speech though. Because it's his forum and he gets to decide what speech he is willing to be associated with. If he decided he didn't want any pro-Penguins speech to occur on his forum, even though he allowed anti-Penguins speech, he still wouldn't be hypocritical.

You're right that Twitter may have their reputation compromised in regards to unfiltered information. But so far, that's only been in regards to hate speech. I keep seeing "they let BLM say this" or "Muslims say that" and what I'm hearing is that Twitter isn't a balanced medium when it comes to which hate speech they allow. For now, I'll say that's a fair assessment.

But really, fuck those people who are butt hurt that some of the hate speech they want to consume has been shut down on Twitter. Although I'm sure if they look, they'll still find plenty to soothe them.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    House of Saud ain't dumb.

Moderator Junior Division
    No, they don't. You can't confuse something like Twitter, which is one of a billion websites that act as communications methods on the internet which something like the Telephone, Radio or TV which arguably become public utilities.

You know how I know Milo's speech wasn't infringed upon? Because he's still blathering on to anyone who cares to listen.
    Nailed it.
    There is probably bias against Conservatives on Twitter, but it really shouldn't be surprising considering Dorsey wants to eventually run for NYC mayor. Guarantee he'll leverage this kind of thing as part of his campaign when he runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    That's because this banning was not, as some claim, about silencing a group. It was about silencing a troll over a specific incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Nailed it.

There is probably bias against Conservatives on Twitter, but it really shouldn't be surprising considering Dorsey wants to eventually run for NYC mayor. Guarantee he'll leverage this kind of thing as part of his campaign when he runs.
    Where is this great purge of the Conservative view point on Twitter? Because one idiot who had a large following and used it to target individuals, who had been repeatedly warned and temporarily banned ran out of strikes?

What they have to do with each other is that no one, and that includes the owner of a company, should be forced to support speech they don't agree with. Do we call Phil a hypocrite because he bans people who spew hate speech here? No. He certainly allows many of us to attack those who promote hate speech though. Because it's his forum and he gets to decide what speech he is willing to be associated with. If he decided he didn't want any pro-Penguins speech to occur on his forum, even though he allowed anti-Penguins speech, he still wouldn't be hypocritical.

You're right that Twitter may have their reputation compromised in regards to unfiltered information. But so far, that's only been in regards to hate speech. I keep seeing "they let BLM say this" or "Muslims say that" and what I'm hearing is that Twitter isn't a balanced medium when it comes to which hate speech they allow. For now, I'll say that's a fair assessment.

But really, fuck those people who are butt hurt that some of the hate speech they want to consume has been shut down on Twitter. Although I'm sure if they look, they'll still find plenty to soothe them.
    Actually, I gotta say I haven't seen Twitter crack down on "Hate Facts", which I view differently that "Hate Speech" but I'd have to think it's not far away.

Actually, I gotta say I haven't seen Twitter crack down on "Hate Facts", which I view differently that "Hate Speech" but I'd have to think it's not far away.
    Is there some series of Conservative voices that have been shut down on Twitter that I don't know about? Or is this just Milo?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast