Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 98

Thread: Twitter Bans Milo Yiannopoulos After Targeted Abuse

  1. #21
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,477
    Rep Power
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    He believes that culture and race are inseparable. That is racist, no matter who he prefers to sleep with. And he's essentially the face of the alt-right movement, or whatever it is, which at it's core is racist. Plus, he's outwardly misogynistic in his definitions of masculinity. I actually tend to agree with him on feminism.

    I believe in free speech. I also believe you lose the right to it when you use it for hate speech and abuse.
    OK, well I disagree, as both are protected under the Constitution.

    I regularly rip the Catholic Church and Islam. From their perspective I'm engaged in "hate speech". Guess I don't deserve a platform either?

    I won't even touch abuse. That's another interchangeable term for hurt feelings. It's not that far of a stretch from that to the types of laws you see in the middle East and Singapore that prosecute criticism of religion under "wounding religious feelings" laws.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #22
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,009
    Rep Power
    201
    In the same sphere: Alex Jones and Cenk Uyger almost came to blows at the RNC... The Giant Sweaty Buffalo vs. The Absolute Madman

    I wish this thing lasted a month.

  3. #23
    Raanta and Raving BSBH Prospect
    Captain Clutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    10,967
    Rep Power
    36
    I mean, the stuff being said to her was beyond the realm of acceptable criticism. They can say all the racist stuff they want but they are facing the concequences of their words, or at least the ring leader is.

  4. #24
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,477
    Rep Power
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Clutch View Post
    I mean, the stuff being said to her was beyond the realm of acceptable criticism. They can say all the racist stuff they want but they are facing the concequences of their words, or at least the ring leader is.
    None of which came from Milo.

    Guilt by association is a dangerous, slippery slope.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  5. #25
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,237
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Clutch View Post
    I mean, the stuff being said to her was beyond the realm of acceptable criticism. They can say all the racist stuff they want but they are facing the concequences of their words, or at least the ring leader is.
    But if your going to do it to one, than you have to do it to all. He never said to go after her nor did he egg them on. This would be like MSG throwing you out of a game and banning you from coming into the arena just for booing the team or encouraging other to boo the team.

  6. #26
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,009
    Rep Power
    201
    No, it would be like kicking Dancing Larry out because some other assholes butchered Dancing Queen.

  7. #27
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,477
    Rep Power
    369
    Or kicking you out for wearing a Rangers jersey because another Rangers fan in a Rangers jersey shouted racial epithets.

    Twitter looks especially stupid becuase Milo and other Right wing personas have been banned while equal, if not greater offenders remain. Like a certain Muslim with more followers than Milo who regularly calls for another Jewish holocaust.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  8. #28
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,237
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Or kicking you out for wearing a Rangers jersey because another Rangers fan in a Rangers jersey shouted racial epithets.

    Twitter looks especially stupid becuase Milo and other Right wing personas have been banned while equal, if not greater offenders remain. Like a certain Muslim with more followers than Milo who regularly calls for another Jewish holocaust.
    Exactly, there is some vile shit on Twitter that never gets taken down, yet I have seen nonsense removed that is perfectly fine. Facebook is very similar as well. They will remove certain things yet allow others to post even worse things and say it's fine. I honestly hate the people that have to make a fake name and profile and act like Facebook/Twitter tough guys. If you have something nasty to say to someone, be a real man and use your real name and picture.

  9. #29
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,009
    Rep Power
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Or kicking you out for wearing a Rangers jersey because another Rangers fan in a Rangers jersey shouted racial epithets.

    Twitter looks especially stupid becuase Milo and other Right wing personas have been banned while equal, if not greater offenders remain. Like a certain Muslim with more followers than Milo who regularly calls for another Jewish holocaust.
    Khomeini?

  10. #30
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,477
    Rep Power
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Khomeini?
    Yup.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  11. #31
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,009
    Rep Power
    201
    Yeah, that's effed up.

  12. #32
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,477
    Rep Power
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    Exactly, there is some vile shit on Twitter that never gets taken down, yet I have seen nonsense removed that is perfectly fine. Facebook is very similar as well. They will remove certain things yet allow others to post even worse things and say it's fine. I honestly hate the people that have to make a fake name and profile and act like Facebook/Twitter tough guys. If you have something nasty to say to someone, be a real man and use your real name and picture.
    Well, that's a different issue, but we agree on the principle issue we're talking about. The banning has the appearance of silencing only one specific group. Conservatives.

    Black Lives Matter members, or those who claim membership at least, who call for violence and celebrate killing cops? That's OK. Ayatollah Khomeini calling for another Jewish holocaust? That's cool, too. Calling Leslie Jones a man? You've crossed a line.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  13. #33
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,477
    Rep Power
    369
    Dave Rubin also raised a really interesting and important point here. While this isn't actually a First Amendment issue, it is a free speech issue, and it's an important one when you consider the power of platforms like Facebook, Twitter and the rest of social media, which are largely new era battlegrounds for the exchange of ideas. Yes, the technical answer is "they're a private company and can do as they please", but there's an argument to be made that they owe the general public a little more, or certainly more transparency with regard to matters like this when they do end up banning a user over speech.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  14. #34
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,237
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Dave Rubin also raised a really interesting and important point here. While this isn't actually a First Amendment issue, it is a free speech issue, and it's an important one when you consider the power of platforms like Facebook, Twitter and the rest of social media, which are largely new era battlegrounds for the exchange of ideas. Yes, the technical answer is "they're a private company and can do as they please", but there's an argument to be made that they owe the general public a little more, or certainly more transparency with regard to matters like this when they do end up banning a user over speech.
    While I agree with you, I do also feel you need to be able to ban people for what they are saying. For instance, if you have someone who is bullying someone else who is just a regular Joe, you need to have the power to stop that person. You have a lot of kids that are bullied enough on social media where they kill themselves over it. IMO, it's more of consistency that is the problem. If you ban one person for it, then you need to ban the others for it as well, not pick and choose.

  15. #35
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,237
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Well, that's a different issue, but we agree on the principle issue we're talking about. The banning has the appearance of silencing only one specific group. Conservatives.

    Black Lives Matter members, or those who claim membership at least, who call for violence and celebrate killing cops? That's OK. Ayatollah Khomeini calling for another Jewish holocaust? That's cool, too. Calling Leslie Jones a man? You've crossed a line.
    I agree. I have seen people on Facebook write to get a gun and kill cops, and when you complain to Facebook about it under the promotes violence, Facebook answers that it doesn't violate their standards. Social media has become a joke.

  16. #36
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,477
    Rep Power
    369
    Sure, I can understand all that, but there's gotta be a middle ground somewhere.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  17. #37
    Raanta and Raving BSBH Prospect
    Captain Clutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    10,967
    Rep Power
    36
    Well an issue is the left is usually a more united front on the internet. You probably had dozens upon dozens reporting Milo at the same instance and so twitter took action. The right is not unified and I doubt you could rally enough together to report accounts that they want taken down.

  18. #38
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,009
    Rep Power
    201
    What are you basing that on? The Alt-Right has been a massive part of getting Trump to where he is with Memes for Christ's sake.

  19. #39
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,763
    Rep Power
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    OK, well I disagree, as both are protected under the Constitution.

    I regularly rip the Catholic Church and Islam. From their perspective I'm engaged in "hate speech". Guess I don't deserve a platform either?

    I won't even touch abuse. That's another interchangeable term for hurt feelings. It's not that far of a stretch from that to the types of laws you see in the middle East and Singapore that prosecute criticism of religion under "wounding religious feelings" laws.
    Free speech is protected, but that doesn't apply to private institutions, which Twitter is. Twitter has every right to ban him, whether that's hypocritical or not.

    Abuse and hurting feelings are drastically different. When speech becomes violent, threatening, or causes fear for well-being, it's abuse. It is distinctly different than those laws you're referring to. To me, you're basically saying that a parent who is emotionally abusive to their child is ok, because it's just hurt feelings. I don't think you really believe that.

  20. #40
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,237
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Free speech is protected, but that doesn't apply to private institutions, which Twitter is. Twitter has every right to ban him, whether that's hypocritical or not.

    Abuse and hurting feelings are drastically different. When speech becomes violent, threatening, or causes fear for well-being, it's abuse. It is distinctly different than those laws you're referring to. To me, you're basically saying that a parent who is emotionally abusive to their child is ok, because it's just hurt feelings. I don't think you really believe that.
    So then why is BLM not banned when their members have advocated for police being shot and killed? Thats violent and threatening, but they aren't banned. The problem is that they are being selective in the process.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •