Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Twitter Bans Milo Yiannopoulos After Targeted Abuse

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect

Twitter Bans Milo Yiannopoulos After Targeted Abuse

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/20/te...-comments.html

SAN FRANCISCO — For years, one of the main grievances among Twitter users has been the ability for anonymous trolls to send abusive comments to other people on the service.

But on Tuesday, Twitter barred one of the most egregious and consistent offenders of its terms of service, Milo Yiannopoulos, in an attempt to show that it is cracking down on abuse.

The ban against Mr. Yiannopoulos, a technology editor at the conservative news site Breitbart and known by his Twitter handle, @Nero, follows a campaign of prolonged abuse against Leslie Jones, a comedian and co-star of the recently released “Ghostbusters” movie. The film and its stars have come under fire from various parts of the internet for months, after it was first revealed that the reboot of the 1984 film would feature an all-female cast.
    This is obviously a free speech issue. Twitter has the right, as a corporation, to be associated with what ever speech on their platform they choose. It's the same as when we ban a user here who refuses to follow the forum rules. They don't want to be associated with Milo's speech, so they banned him. There is backlash of course.

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Milo didn't say anything. I understand that a veritable army of idiots descended on Mrs. Jones' after his movie review came out and that was awful, but Milo himself did nothing.

There's a complete double standard at play. Leftists can say whatever they want and Conservatives can't.

BLM acolytes regularly call for violence against police, Mrs Jones herself has published racist tweets, ISIS regularly carries recruitment and propaganda exercises and, of course, the GQ writer who threatened to kill the mother of the Benghazi victim who spoke at the RNC.

If people aren't playing by the rules, then ban them, but hold everyone to the same standard. They ban Milo because he's making a difference. They ban Charles C. Johnson because they're afraid of him so they'll no doubt ban many others. All on one side of the ledger.

gangsta member Junior Division
    this is a private company that can do whatever they want and if they feel he has violated their terms, they have the right to ban him, and it's not violating his free speech to do so.

Milo Yiannopolous has a lot of terrible opinions but you should have the right to express those opinions. However, if he is sending his followers on brigading missions to harass people, that isn't ok
    Last edited by BlairBettsBlocksEverything; 07-20-2016 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Milo didn't say anything. I understand that a veritable army of idiots descended on Mrs. Jones' after his movie review came out and that was awful, but Milo himself did nothing.

There's a complete double standard at play. Leftists can say whatever they want and Conservatives can't.

BLM acolytes regularly call for violence against police, Mrs Jones herself has published racist tweets, ISIS regularly carries recruitment and propaganda exercises and, of course, the GQ writer who threatened to kill the mother of the Benghazi victim who spoke at the RNC.

If people aren't playing by the rules, then ban them, but hold everyone to the same standard. They ban Milo because he's making a difference. They ban Charles C. Johnson because they're afraid of him so they'll no doubt ban many others. All on one side of the ledger.
    That's all kind of just smoke, though, isn't it? A single fact is at issue here. Twitter has the absolute right, a right that conservatives especially fought for, to control their "speech". If Twitter doesn't want to be associated with what Milo has to say and do want to be associated with BLM, then that's their right.

Conservatives should champion that right. They champion Christian bakers not wanting to make a cake for a gay wedding. They champion a Christian owned company not wanting to pay for health care that includes birth control.

What I've seen from main stream conservatives is they like to complain about a movement by the left to enforce "political correctness" on others, yet when the left does something they deem to be anti-conservative or anti-christian, the right shouts that they are being persecuted for their beliefs. Which you're kind of saying here.

So conservatives are basically saying, "don't curb my speech just because you don't like it", but if someone says something conservatives don't like, they're going to complain that they're being unfairly targeted.

It's hypocritical.

Moderator Junior Division
    Well, he called Jones "barely literate" and called her a "black dude" - which is hate speech in its own right and, on Twitter, grounds to be banned. But the bigger deal is that, basically, he's a well-documented racist misogynist who incites a lot of the comments that were directed towards Jones. He's scum and, as far as I'm concerned, doesn't deserve any platform to be heard. Fuck him and fuck his Twitter account.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    That's all kind of just smoke, though, isn't it? A single fact is at issue here. Twitter has the absolute right, a right that conservatives especially fought for, to control their "speech". If Twitter doesn't want to be associated with what Milo has to say and do want to be associated with BLM, then that's their right.

Conservatives should champion that right. They champion Christian bakers not wanting to make a cake for a gay wedding. They champion a Christian owned company not wanting to pay for health care that includes birth control.

What I've seen from main stream conservatives is they like to complain about a movement by the left to enforce "political correctness" on others, yet when the left does something they deem to be anti-conservative or anti-christian, the right shouts that they are being persecuted for their beliefs. Which you're kind of saying here.

So conservatives are basically saying, "don't curb my speech just because you don't like it", but if someone says something conservatives don't like, they're going to complain that they're being unfairly targeted.

It's hypocritical.
    I think the left is more aggressive on twitter than the right.

Woke twitter will freak out on any person do anything pro trump
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I think the left is more aggressive on twitter than the right.

Woke twitter will freak out on any person do anything pro trump
    Again, that's besides the point. Twitter, as a corporation, has the right to control their "speech" which includes association. This is a cause that conservatives fought for repeatedly, all the way to the Supreme Court. When that Corporate speech isn't what they support, they complain. It's hypocritical.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ BSBH Prospect
    Again, that's besides the point. Twitter, as a corporation, has the right to control their "speech" which includes association. This is a cause that conservatives fought for repeatedly, all the way to the Supreme Court. When that Corporate speech isn't what they support, they complain. It's hypocritical.
    Yea, but his followers are going to be upset regardless since he p. much founded the alt right movement

Dont see much issue with him being permanently suspended, happens to people all the time, but most people have a low enough profile to just make a new account
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Yea, but his followers are going to be upset regardless since he p. much founded the alt right movement

Dont see much issue with him being permanently suspended, happens to people all the time, but most people have a low enough profile to just make a new account

His followers were already upset. That's kind of their gig, right? Being upset about everything the left does. What's funny to me about the anti-progressive movement is that they're complaining that other people complain.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    He and Twitter have had this on again off again relationship for years. I enjoy Milo more than I used to lately, but he's a professional troll.

I think Twitter is silly to ban him based on what they ultimately banned him for, but this is also a cumulative thing. He's probably banned more on reputation and history than the exact things he last said.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    He and Twitter have had this on again off again relationship for years. I enjoy Milo more than I used to lately, but he's a professional troll.

I think Twitter is silly to ban him based on what they ultimately banned him for, but this is also a cumulative thing. He's probably banned more on reputation and history than the exact things he last said.
    We know all about that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Well, he called Jones "barely literate" and called her a "black dude" - which is hate speech in its own right and, on Twitter, grounds to be banned. But the bigger deal is that, basically, he's a well-documented racist misogynist who incites a lot of the comments that were directed towards Jones. He's scum and, as far as I'm concerned, doesn't deserve any platform to be heard. Fuck him and fuck his Twitter account.
    A "racist" who sure seems to sleep with a lot of black men. Odd if he were actually racist.

I also take issue with labeling someone who battles third wave feminists a misogynist, but I'm a stickler for language and have a much larger problem with how the Left largely devalued terms like it and racist and bigot in their never ending regressive conquests of shooting down opinions they disagree with by labeling them "gross and racist" (Hi, Ben!).

He's a professional troll, but the idea he doesn't deserve a platform for his views only makes sense if you don't believe in free speech. If you claim to, you're engaging in cognitive dissonance.

Free speech isn't about hearing what you want to hear. It's about hearing what you don't and not silencing it or shouting it down because you don't agree.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywo...n-aint-attack/

This clears it up. It was all a misunderstanding.

A "racist" who sure seems to sleep with a lot of black men. Odd if he were actually racist.

I also take issue with labeling someone who battles third wave feminists a misogynist, but I'm a stickler for language and have a much larger problem with how the Left largely devalued terms like it and racist and bigot in their never ending regressive conquests of shooting down opinions they disagree with by labeling them "gross and racist" (Hi, Ben!).

He's a professional troll, but the idea he doesn't deserve a platform for his views only makes sense if you don't believe in free speech. If you claim to, you're engaging in cognitive dissonance.

Free speech isn't about hearing what you want to hear. It's about hearing what you don't and not silencing it or shouting it down because you don't agree.
    He believes that culture and race are inseparable. That is racist, no matter who he prefers to sleep with. And he's essentially the face of the alt-right movement, or whatever it is, which at it's core is racist. Plus, he's outwardly misogynistic in his definitions of masculinity. I actually tend to agree with him on feminism.

I believe in free speech. I also believe you lose the right to it when you use it for hate speech and abuse.

He doesn't believe culture and race are inseparable, he believes Islam is incompatible with Western Civilization, and if you choose Sharia Law as a starting point, that's demonstratably true.

I know he's grouped in with the Alt-Right but I'm not sure they're big on that. The core of that movement aren't only racist, (whatever that means) they're also completely against homosexuality. Their kind prefers types like Jared Taylor, Paul Ramsey, Jim Goad etc etc..

I think of Milo as more of a Western Chauvinist.

He doesn't believe culture and race are inseparable, he believes Islam is incompatible with Western Civilization, and if you choose Sharia Law as a starting point, that's demonstratably true.

I know he's grouped in with the Alt-Right but I'm not sure they're big on that. The core of that movement aren't only racist, (whatever that means) they're also completely against homosexuality. Their kind prefers types like Jared Taylor, Paul Ramsey, Jim Goad etc etc..

“The alt-right’s intellectuals would also argue that culture is inseparable from race,” he writes.

I mean, maybe he doesn't consider himself an intellectual?

No one is stopping him from exercising his right to free speech. Twitter is just saying that they don't want to be his megaphone anymore. Which is their right.

He's just a modern day clown, really. A caricature of a principled person. Another Lewis Black, Rush Limbaugh, Bill Maher or even Donald Trump. He hasn't hit any of their levels of fame yet.

Racist means that you believe one race is superior to another. As to Islam's incompatibility to Western Civilization, it ultimately depends on how strict you internalize the teachings. Most religions, if taken as 100% true and to be followed, are incompatible with Western Civilization. If not, the largest Western market would be in stone production.

Wiki Leaks is all over this pointing out alllllll the racist tweets from the "victim".

No one is stopping him from exercising his right to free speech. Twitter is just saying that they don't want to be his megaphone anymore. Which is their right.

He's just a modern day clown, really. A caricature of a principled person. Another Lewis Black, Rush Limbaugh, Bill Maher or even Donald Trump. He hasn't hit any of their levels of fame yet.
    Correct. And Twitter is free to do so. They're a publicly traded company, but are privately owned. You'll never see me mistake their decision to ban him for his rights being infringed on. They're not. Even though I think they're silly to ban him to begin with based on their own standards.

As for Milo, he has principles. Cartoonish or otherwise. Disagreeing with his positions doesn't mean he stands for nothing. He's a form of mildly intellectual entertainment. Just like Maher. But it's indisputably easier to be a critical comedian when the targets of your comedy and criticism are not on the Left.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast