• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [RW] Ty Ronning in 7th Rd (201st) Pick

Phil

2016_7_Ronning.png

Name: Ty Ronning

Position: RW

Shoots: R

Current Team: Vancouver Giants (WHL)

Elite Prospects Profile: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=195952

A small but industrious speedster that always seeks to be engaged in the play. Skates very well and has the shiftiness to avoid being rubbed out. Isn't afraid of physical play, but knows his role as an offensive catalyst and plays to his strengths. Excellent hands and hockey sense. Only knock is his size, but that doesn't impede his compete level. Possesses the fundamental skills and natural goal scoring instincts that make the players around him better. [EP]

Current Statistics

HockeyDB.com Page:http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=170216

Team Player Page:http://www.vancouvergiants.com/players/26745

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's not. He's 5'9, but that is increasingly less of an issue based on the direction this league is going in. Speed and skill > size.

Yep, that's not so much of a concern any more, at least for now.

once he starts skating he looks dynamic -- at least from the photos here. Looks happy, too.

I'm guessing the family pedigree played a part in the selection.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/gallery.php?player=195952

Link

The other intriguing player in the Giants’ lineup is their leading scorer, Ty Ronning, who is not just the son of former NHLer Cliff Ronning but also a virtual doppelganger for his father. "They’re exactly the same sort of player," the scout said.

Cliff Ronning—a seventh-rounder in 1984—scored 85 points in his best season and played 1,137 NHL regular-season games, becoming something of a fan favorite with the Canucks. Despite the similarities to his father, Ty Ronning wound up as a "C" prospect on Central Scouting’s list, suggesting that he’d be a long shot to play a single game in the NHL. No doubt, the major factor is his size: He’s listed at 5-foot-8 and 160 lb.

Said the scouting director: “You look at him and say, 'He shouldn’t be able to play at the next level.' But then again, that’s exactly what everybody said about Cliff. And the fact is that Cliff played at a time when it was a lot tougher to at that size. I tell our guys, 'Don’t tell me how his size limits [Ty] in the NHL. Don’t make assumptions. Tell me how he plays and what he makes happen and let’s work from there.'"

Link

A lot of Ronning's attraction to Gaudreau is their size.

When the Flames drafted Gaudreau in the fourth round (No. 104) of the 2011 NHL Draft, he was listed at 5-foot-6 and 137 pounds. He's now grown to 5-9 and 157 pounds.

Ronning is listed at 5-9 and 165 pounds. He's No. 82 on NHL Central Scouting's midterm ranking of North American skaters for the 2016 NHL Draft.

"He's a smart, skilled player with very good hands, a good shot and quick release," said Dan Marr, NHL Director of Central Scouting. "He's willing to go to the dirty areas to score goals. He's strong on his feet and can protect the puck well, has good vision and playmaking ability."

As Ronning has watched Gaudreau excel despite his size, he hopes to carve a similar path.

Link

Ronning’s biggest booster, his head coach Lorne Molleken, lauds his heart and passion, going as far as to proclaim Ronning the Giants’ “best player” of the year over projected first-rounder (and team captain) Tyler Benson.

Despite that endorsement, many notable mock draft boards have left the Burnaby native entirely off their 2016 prospects list, and he won’t play in the CHL/NHL Top Prospects game at the Pacific Coliseum on Jan. 28.

“I’m very surprised Ronning was excluded. He has been the team MVP this season,” said Marshall Mackinder, a scout for the Red Line Report whose subscribers include the majority of NHL teams. “With Benson missing the first 10 games of the season and only contributing at what he says is 75 per cent, Ronning sure picked up the slack.”

In fact, it wasn’t until the latest NHL Central Scouting Bureau board — released in November — that Ronning was even included among the draft-eligible players to watch. He’s been given a C rating for now as a projected fourth-, fifth- or sixth-rounder.

The general consensus among scouts is that Ronning can get hot quick but he can also cool off fast. Two injury-plagued seasons — 56 games in 2013-14 and 24 games in his infamous 2014-15 campaign — also didn’t help his cause, Mackinder said.

The other concern about Ronning will always be his size, at a mere 5-9 and 165 pounds.

• 7 months later...

Small Ronning update

19 goals and 22 assists for 41 points through 47 games

Ty Ronning had an assist in Vancouver's 6-3 loss to Victoria on Sunday. The 2016 seventh round selection now has 19 goals and 22 assists for 41 points through 47 games with the Giants.

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-prospect-report-gropp-ronning-huska-shesterkin/c-286333062

I wanted to see a lot more production from Ronning. Vancouver is pretty bad, and really thin up front so without looking I'll assume he gets a fuck-tonne of icetime.

I view him as a non prospect at this point, more Organizational filler than anything.

Oddly enough, they traded for a family friend of mine to beat people up and protect guys like Ronning so I'm anxious to see him this summer and get the low down.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived