• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [G] Tyler Wall in 6th Rd (174th) Pick [from FLA]

Phil

Again a bit of juice from BB

According to Adam Herman, Greg Balloch notes that Wall dominated the Ontario Junior Hockey league, and the numbers appear to back it up. He is a big goaltender who plays deep in his net, which is the style that Rangers' goaltending coach helped bring to the forefront. He'll know exactly what to do with him.

Wall is committed to Umass-Amherst of Hockey East, and the Rangers will be content letting him marinate there for four years.

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2016/6/25/12030598/2016-nhl-entry-draft-rangers-select-goaltender-tyler-wall-174th

Greag Balloch, who was cited by Herman, is head of @SurreyEagles goaltending development. as far as his goaltending knowledge goes.

For all that, however Balloch did not include Wall in his list of top 10 goaltenders available in the draft.

But goaltending selections seem like as much science as alchemy, so ... seems like a good pickup until it ain't. and like So Nashty says, the name is right.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
I think he's still eligible, but that would require Hockey Canada making a good decision so I doubt he even gets an invite. After the McNiven snub this year I just assume they'll take the two goalies from the two best teams in the CHL.

• 8 months later...

I liked Wall because he comes from the Junior B trenches in Southern Ontario.

Not looking good though a GAA of 5(!) and a save .pct of .820 through 5 starts for UMass-Lowell in a case where the other goalie is posting Shesterkin #'s and has now assumed a firm grasp on the starters role.

All our goalie prospects sans Shesterkin have now flamed out after really promising prior years.

All our goalie prospects sans Shesterkin have now flamed out after really promising prior years.

Huska's having an okay second season at UConn but I agree. Goaltending prospect depth is again a weakness for us outside of Shestyorkin. Wall isn't looking great, nor is Halverson and Skapski is out of the organization.

Huska's having an okay second season at UConn but I agree. Goaltending prospect depth is again a weakness for us outside of Shestyorkin. Wall isn't looking great, nor is Halverson and Skapski is out of the organization.

Everything I've read is that Huska has been really, really good, the team in front of him just isn't.

I liked Wall because he comes from the Junior B trenches in Southern Ontario.

Not looking good though a GAA of 5(!) and a save .pct of .820 through 5 starts for UMass-Lowell in a case where the other goalie is posting Shesterkin #'s and has now assumed a firm grasp on the starters role.

Well, 5 games won't define his entire career.

Don't sleep on Georgiev. He's still just 21 and it appears as though he is adjusting to North America... .934 SV% and a 2.17 GAA in his last 5 starts.

• Like 1

Don't sleep on Georgiev. He's still just 21 and it appears as though he is adjusting to North America... .934 SV% and a 2.17 GAA in his last 5 starts.

Thanks for the update on Georgiev. The wife thought he looked good in the one game we saw him, once he got comfortable, even though he took a lot of flak from some fans on here.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

10. Tyler Wall, G, New York Rangers

Current team: UMass-Lowell (Hockey East)

Following in the footsteps of Connor Hellebuyck, Wall is stopping an awful lot of pucks for UMass-Lowell this season. The senior netminder is second in the NCAA with a .945 save percentage while facing the second-most shots of any goaltender (512 saves on 542 shots against). He has had some big wins, having bested Minnesota Duluth and Providence College, while appearing in all but one of Lowell's games this season.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/28259726/nhl-prospects-hot-starts-rising-stock-young-capitals-rangers-more

• 1 month later...