• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [D] Sean Day in 3rd Rd (81st) Pick

Phil

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting story about Day's personal life

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/ohl-steelheads-exceptional-player-sean-day-opens-up-about-life-off-the-ice/

It was a simple story: the adoration of a big brother by a little brother.

In Sean Day’s case, it was his older brother Scott, who he wanted to emulate growing up in Rochester, Mich.

“I remember watching my brother, Scott, play, and ever since then I wanted to be a hockey player,” said Day. “He was my role model growing up. He’s the reason I wear No. 4.”

That simple story took a tragic turn in late October 2014. Scott was driving his pickup truck when it slammed into another vehicle just four miles from his family’s home, killing a 62-year-old woman. The 23-year-old was charged by police, who found his blood-alcohol reading was twice the legal limit. Last summer, after pleading no contest, he was sentenced to prison for no less than 57 months and no more than 15 years.

It's not about being a sure fire NHLer. It's about quickest path to the NHL. By most accounts he's a 5 year project.

Who says he's a 5-year project? For all the physical talent he has, he could be up in 2. On the flip side, a 20 year old you draft in the third has just as good a shot of taking 5 years, or never making it at all, as Day.

Who says he's a 5-year project? For all the physical talent he has, he could be up in 2. On the flip side, a 20 year old you draft in the third has just as good a shot of taking 5 years, or never making it at all, as Day.

A lot of write ups have him 5 years out. I can look for them later.

I'm not going to argue who "could" make the NHL when (are there even 20 year Olds in the draft?) That's a waste of time. I think this team could have made a better choice (preferably a forward) with their top pick.

A lot of write ups have him 5 years out. I can look for them later.

I'm not going to argue who "could" make the NHL when (are there even 20 year Olds in the draft?) That's a waste of time. I think this team could have made a better choice (preferably a forward) with their top pick.

I'd like to see those articles too. Haven't been able to find them.

I saw a few on draft day in my Twitter feed, can't go searching now. But even if I'm wrong about that, if I misread, whatever...

Look at Brady Skjei...Drafted in 2012 and first full season will be 2016-2017.

Duclair was drafted in 2013 and his first full season was 2015-2016.

Basically I'd have went with a forward (because it's not like we don't need help there, either), because defensemen just take longer to mature.

That's definitely known, but 5 years development time is basically the max a prospect can go before he becomes nothingness - which says a lot about how you feel about Day.

Look, there's no doubt he's a project, but I'd still like to see the reasoning why people think he's a 5 year project.

I saw a few on draft day in my Twitter feed, can't go searching now. But even if I'm wrong about that, if I misread, whatever...

Look at Brady Skjei...Drafted in 2012 and first full season will be 2016-2017.

Duclair was drafted in 2013 and his first full season was 2015-2016.

Basically I'd have went with a forward (because it's not like we don't need help there, either), because defensemen just take longer to mature.

This. It's not uncommon for a defenseman to take until 23 to enter the league. In fact, it's probably more the norm outside of the first round.

There were 21 rookie defensemen this season who played more than 30 games. Only 7 of them were under 23. One played for St. Louis (Jake McCabe, 44th overall, 22 years old). The other 6 played for Carolina (3), Buffalo (1), Edmonton (1) and Colorado (1). So these are all younger defensemen playing for non-competitive teams.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=season&report=bios&season=20152016&gameType=2&sort=playerBirthDate&aggregate=0&status=r&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,30&pos=D

The question is, given our prospect pool being so bleak, does it make sense to draft anyone that won't likely be available for 4-5 years? I think it's a balance. To really restock the system, it's going to take a careful balance. A lot depends on the organization's short term outlook. If they're going to retool and keep retooling, we need picks with shorter development cycles to feed into that. If we are really going to go for more of a rebuild, even if it's going to be a quieter one like we did from 2005+, longer term prospects with higher upside is probably OK.

I can see him being 3-4 seasons away. Not sure if 5 is really the number at all. It's not like he as many aspects of his game that are in need of development.

It's whether or not he actually gets his shit together that determines when he comes in. If he stays on track with maintaining the right level of fitness and rounding out his offensive game, he could potentially be 2.5-3 seasons away. If he falls back into a rut who knows. Maybe that's where you start getting to 5 years if he ever makes it.

To me, you look at a guy like Day with the size, the speed, the shot, the passing ability but he just can't put it all together consistently. I think he gets a shot at the big show earlier for that reason. He's not some kid who needs to grow into his body or anything like that. He's not a monster like McIlrath who needs to learn how to skate. He just needs to learn how to play consistent, smart hockey and with the proper mentoring, I'd bet he can get there sooner rather than later.

Obviously, there's a chance that he wont, but that's a given.

This. It's not uncommon for a defenseman to take until 23 to enter the league. In fact, it's probably more the norm outside of the first round.

There were 21 rookie defensemen this season who played more than 30 games. Only 7 of them were under 23. One played for St. Louis (Jake McCabe, 44th overall, 22 years old). The other 6 played for Carolina (3), Buffalo (1), Edmonton (1) and Colorado (1). So these are all younger defensemen playing for non-competitive teams.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=season&report=bios&season=20152016&gameType=2&sort=playerBirthDate&aggregate=0&status=r&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,30&pos=D

Good point, but that list doesn't account for guys playing in the AHL, like Skjei, who are ready but being held down due to organizational depth, or guys who are left in the A simply to get more minutes but could easily play in the 5/6 role

The question is, given our prospect pool being so bleak, does it make sense to draft anyone that won't likely be available for 4-5 years? I think it's a balance. To really restock the system, it's going to take a careful balance. A lot depends on the organization's short term outlook. If they're going to retool and keep retooling, we need picks with shorter development cycles to feed into that. If we are really going to go for more of a rebuild, even if it's going to be a quieter one like we did from 2005+, longer term prospects with higher upside is probably OK.

This is basically my thinking. I think Day has upside, I'm just leery of how long it'll take to be realized.

[/url]

Link

http://thehockeywriters.com/2016-nhl-draft-dont-sleep-on-sean-day

However, what is not shown on the rankings provided above is just how much Day’s game has in fact progressed over his third season with the Steelheads. Although his offensive totals have dropped slightly, it is his impeccable defensive game which will be turning heads when he reaches the NHL level.

The one major area which Day has worked on throughout his time in the OHL is his defense, and it has definitely paid off.

In his own zone, Day is seemingly impassable. Combining his elite skating abilities and strength allows Day to match attacking players’ speed, while using his size to force players to the outside. In most cases, a quick, accurate stick knocks the puck off of opponents sticks before they have the opportunity to generate offensive opportunities.

Further, when it comes to board play, Day once again utilizes his power to pin opponents to the boards with ease, before once again using his stick to either knock the puck away, or in numerous cases, strip players of the puck before either making a crisp outlet pass or skating the puck out of his zone.

That one's quite encouraging.

The same article says.

As previously mentioned, various hockey scouts and services have been incredibly rough on Day, likely over-exaggerating their findings based on the simple fact that he was granted exceptional status.

And then you had two rankings that were high-ish

NHL Central Scouting (43rd)

TSN’s Bob McKenzie (46th)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...