Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rangers Draft [D] Sean Day in 3rd Rd (81st) Pick

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    In my opinion defenseman develop at a much slower rate. They don't become solid NHlrs until 23-25 years old where as forwards can be effective at 18 (more likely 21-22). I don't think it's a stretch to assume the same applies in juniors?

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    "Day was granted exceptional status and allowed to play in the OHL when he was 15 years old, becoming the fourth player (at the time) to be granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada (along with John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad, and Connor McDavid)."

What changed since then? Why did he went from being "as good as" three 1st overall picks to be a 3rd rounder?
    It just never materialized. And then there was question about whether or not he really even cared/cares about hockey. He was overweight for a while.

He was highly touted mainly for his skating ability, size, and offensive ability due to the first two. The hope was his defensive game would develop to an elite level as well. It didn't.

His defensive game is probably the weakest part of his game - scouting reports indicate he makes bad decisions with and without the puck in all 3 zones.

The good thing is his skating ability is still elite. He's also still humongous - 19 years old and he's 6'3" 230 lbs. He's also got the ability to exit the zone with either his skating or with a good outlet pass. However, the defensive issues still linger and his offensive ability is not all that it was cracked up to be (though he's having a great year this year).

In any case, I'm so glad the Rangers drafted this guy and are moving him along from the CHL where, after 4 years, he can move on to some better competition and see how he does at a higher level. The Rangers needed a diamond in the rough with the dearth of picks they've had in recent years.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    "Day was granted exceptional status and allowed to play in the OHL when he was 15 years old, becoming the fourth player (at the time) to be granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada (along with John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad, and Connor McDavid)."

What changed since then? Why did he went from being "as good as" three 1st overall picks to be a 3rd rounder?
    He's had some family issues that would really hurt the development of a 17-18 year old.

For one thing, I think he's moved a lot in his life and his mom has lupus which has hospitalized her. But, more directly, his brother got sent to jail for vehicular manslaughter (or whatever Canada's version is) when he was driving drunk and killed a woman. Day has openly said that it impacted him on the ice. He's also been open about how some of the critics for his exceptional status got in his head.

Decent enough article about it: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...e-off-the-ice/

People forget that players in junior are teenagers and a lot of the stuff that, at times, even gets to NHLers can have a major impact.

Edit...this one is probaly better: http://www.mississauga.com/sports-st...off-his-chest/

“I just wanted to put it out there, not to use it as an excuse, but to let people know that I just turned 18, I’m still a teenager, I have family problems too and I’m not superhuman,” said Day, who is highly coveted because of his size and skating ability, but is often criticized for not meeting the high expectations placed on him.

“I’m just a regular guy and outside of hockey, I have stuff going on that’s more important than hockey. If I have to take time off to go see my brother or my mom, I’m going to do that and not worry about what people have to say about me.”
    His parents often come to see him play home games, but Day said his mom hasn’t been able to attend for nearly two months because she’s been in and out of hospital. He said her blood platelets are low, she bruises easily and doctors are concerned about the possibility of internal bleeding if she hits her head, which is why she’s been monitored closely.

“Going through something like that, it’s hard to not think about,” Day said.

“On top of that, my role model is in prison. Obviously it’s tough and I keep saying I don’t want to use it as an excuse, but I always think about it, so it’s tough to not talk about it and I wanted to let it out.”
    The kid has caught a lot of flack for seeming disengaged, but he probably deserves a lot of credit for just continuing to play.
    Last edited by Future; 03-09-2017 at 11:07 AM.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Looks like Sean is
    2016-17 Mississauga Steelheads* OHL 5 3 2 5 4 4
    2016-17 Windsor Spitfires OHL 56 12 18 30 20 13
    Total: 61gp 15g 20a 35pts 24pim +17
    Not half bad for the season. The kid has talent. I hope we can develop it. We could use a defenseman with his skillset.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Playoff Update:

Windsor leads series 2-1

Day has 3a in 3 games and is +4

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    He's had some family issues that would really hurt the development of a 17-18 year old.

For one thing, I think he's moved a lot in his life and his mom has lupus which has hospitalized her. But, more directly, his brother got sent to jail for vehicular manslaughter (or whatever Canada's version is) when he was driving drunk and killed a woman. Day has openly said that it impacted him on the ice. He's also been open about how some of the critics for his exceptional status got in his head.

Decent enough article about it: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...e-off-the-ice/

People forget that players in junior are teenagers and a lot of the stuff that, at times, even gets to NHLers can have a major impact.

Edit...this one is probaly better: http://www.mississauga.com/sports-st...off-his-chest/

The kid has caught a lot of flack for seeming disengaged, but he probably deserves a lot of credit for just continuing to play.
    That's really rough. Def. cut the kid some slack and see what happens down the line.

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Love this pick more and more. Kid ever gets his head together and matures he has an outside shot of being a Brent Burns type defenseman. It was a great gamble to take.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect

Rangers Draft [D] Sean Day in 3rd Rd (81st) Pick

Brent Burns? Really? Come on, let's bring it down a couple of notches

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Brent Burns? Really? Come on, let's bring it down a couple of notches

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Yea Burns is ridiculous, he's more like Erik Karlsson lol

He's got an NHL skillset now, if the mental side of the game clicks, he could be up sooner than later.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    I was thinking more John Carlson and even that's a stretch, I haven't seen the kid play to make any educated guess

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    I was thinking more John Carlson and even that's a stretch, I haven't seen the kid play to make any educated guess

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain
    I mean I was kidding around as that's a ridiculous expectation, but in terms of play style he really is similar to Karlsson.

I've seen him compared to Tom Poti, in terms of how he projects, but idk how realistic that is or not.
    Last edited by Future; 03-30-2017 at 10:39 AM.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    I mean I was kidding around as that's a ridiculous expectation, but in terms of play style he really is similar to Karlsson.

I've seen him compared to Tom Poti, in terms of how he projects, but idk how realistic that is or not.
    How's his purse game?

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    I was thinking more like Boris Mironov.

I meant in style of play not level of play. He's a huge, is an amazing skater and has experience at forward. I doubt he puts up a point per game ever in the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    I meant in style of play not level of play. He's a huge, is an amazing skater and has experience at forward. I doubt he puts up a point per game ever in the NHL.
    When did he play forward?

When did he play forward?
    Part of this season.

Pretty good breakdown with a bunch of video... http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2017/...on-strong-note

Day’s final OHL game this season was a fair representation of his post-draft campaign. By no means perfect, but the good certainly outweighed the bad. There’s still a lot of improvement needed, but he made tremendous strides forward. The things Day needs to work on can be coached. Most of the things he does well can’t be replicated.
    His skating alone is worth watching.

//reported Junior Division
    Fluid skating. I thought he was RHD, not left. Wonder why. Wishful thinking?
    LGR!

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Finished the series with 5 assists and a +5 with 26 shots in the 7 games. Seasons not over though. Windsor is hosting the Memorial Cup.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    The things Day needs to work on can be coached. Most of the things he does well can’t be replicated.
    So much to like.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234