• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [D] Sean Day in 3rd Rd (81st) Pick

Phil

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty good breakdown with a bunch of video... http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2017/4/5/15186468/day-finishes-ohl-season-on-strong-note

Day’s final OHL game this season was a fair representation of his post-draft campaign. By no means perfect, but the good certainly outweighed the bad. There’s still a lot of improvement needed, but he made tremendous strides forward. The things Day needs to work on can be coached. Most of the things he does well can’t be replicated.

His skating alone is worth watching.

• 8 months later...
Day traded to Kingston with Gabe Vilardi as Windsor is rebuilding despite being pretty good.

Thanks for the heads-up on the trade, @Dunny

Through the trade, Day was

27games 4goals 17assists 21points

.77 points per game. Not too shabby at all.

That's also an improvement over last season, when he was 0.55 points per game with the Spitfires.

He has clearly been helping generate a lot of team offense from a playmaking perspective.

To put it in another perspective, Shattenkirk is producing .59 points per game, so Sean Day was having a strong impact for the Spitfires this year.

It would be nice if Elite Prospects could supply another update as their current one is 2 years old

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=228106

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So apparently Sean Day is doing OK

Let's not forget him NY with all the bright shiny new toys we have in the system.

NYR Stats & Info

‏Verified account @NYRStatsInfo

8h

Sean Day tallied three points (one goal, two assists) and was selected as the game's First Star last night in Kingston's win against Hamilton. Day has notched 14 points (four goals, 10 assists) in 15 playoff games this year, and he ranks third among OHL defensemen in points. #NYR

I'll be honest, I have absolutely 0 idea what to expect from Day.

I wouldn't be shocked if he was on the NYR roster on opening night or if he was in Greenville.

Yeah, seems to me he has the tools, but just can't put it all together most of the time. And, to be fair, that was pretty much the knock on him from the get go.

I don't think he's on the big team next year. He's gonna need some exposure to pro hockey first, IMO, and they're going to have to take it slow with him.

Yeah, seems to me he has the tools, but just can't put it all together most of the time. And, to be fair, that was pretty much the knock on him from the get go.

I don't think he's on the big team next year. He's gonna need some exposure to pro hockey first, IMO, and they're going to have to take it slow with him.

Day's certainly an enigma. He's huge and mobile and so he's always played against smaller competition. Plus he's highly skilled. That combination is what earned him exceptional status. There were questions about his work ethic. I can see that happening where you don't have to work as hard to stay on a team/league because of your size and gifts. He also had family issues prior to the draft with his older brother going to jail and his mom being sick. That's when his stock dropped. He could flame out, but he could also be the steal of that draft. He was a worthy pick where they got him. With all the defensemen competing for spots, I'd be surprised if he made the team out of camp. I'd suspect that they'll take the slow route with him and see him in Hartford next season.

You guys are way to optimistic. This is a C prospect, who has under performed at every stop until his overage year. His "exceptional status" is long in the rear view, as he turned that in to journeyman major junior career. He's a minus 70 in his OHL career including a minus 11 in Kingston, on a good team, post trade.

My guess is that he really struggles if he even sniffs the AHL next year.

Sounds like Scott Lachance, without the draft pedigree.

All the tools, will likely be a steady defender, will always leave you wanting more offensively and will therefore be underappreciated.

Bobby Sanguinetti

Sanguinetti was far more accomplished than Day at this level.

I think Pete was on the right path. He should use his size and skating to become an actual defenceman. He's not going to crack an NHL line-up as a 50 point D-man.

Kingston Frontenacs Eliminated

Day's final Playoff stat line

16gm 4g 10a 14pts +2

Day's combined Reg season stat line

50gm 5g 42a 47pts -10

Maybe not the explosive supposed final OHL season folks were looking for, but he did produce in the playoffs.

Might he be a player that rises to the occasion? There are signs he might -- see below.

With more seasoning and coaching will he be able to solve the rep he has for making bad defensive reads, I don't know, but I would not consign him to the "fuhgeddaboudit" pile just yet. Give him time ...

Day scored twice and added two assists in OHL Kingston's 6-5 Game 5 triple overtime win over North Bay on Saturday.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/rangers-sean-day-playing-well-in-ohl-playoffs/

"Defenceman Sean Day had a goal and two assists as Kingston downed the Hamilton Bulldogs in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference final 5-2 on Tuesday"

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/rangers-sean-day-playing-well-in-ohl-playoffs/

“If he tries to make the extra play, and it doesn’t work out, he’s the first one back on the backcheck,” DiPietro said.

It’s true, and it’s going to be an important aspect of his game going forward. His workrate and skating ability allows him to recover and negate mistakes. In the minds of coaches, that will help to justify the risks he takes to make plays.

While I contemplated whether Day would play in the AHL or OHL this season, an OHL executive reached out to me to say he hoped it was AHL so that his team wouldn’t have to face him anymore.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2017/11/4/16602234/sean-day-scores-highlight-reel-goal-in-ohl-rangers-prospects-windsor-spitfires

• Like 1

You guys are way to optimistic. This is a C prospect, who has under performed at every stop until his overage year. His "exceptional status" is long in the rear view, as he turned that in to journeyman major junior career. He's a minus 70 in his OHL career including a minus 11 in Kingston, on a good team, post trade.

He may well struggle in the AHL in his 1st year. However, many NHL Dmen (and forwards - look at Tampa) need a couple of years to learn to think the game, make better decisions, anticipate and play better defense. He has many of the tools. Blue may be right, in that he is a project. Possibly a good project.

His exceptional status built unreasonable expectations and actually hurts his perception. His development should be slow.

I think "C prospect" is kind of misleading, or doesn't tell the whole story. Maybe it's true, but it's because his floor and his ceiling are so far apart. Derek Stepan was a C prospect too, but that's because he had such a limited ceiling. Day's upside based on his physical tools is A+, so he's a different C prospect than a lot of others.

There's as much reason for optimism with Day as most any prospect, even if he's less likely to achieve than others.

I think "C prospect" is kind of misleading, or doesn't tell the whole story. Maybe it's true, but it's because his floor and his ceiling are so far apart. Derek Stepan was a C prospect too, but that's because he had such a limited ceiling. Day's upside based on his physical tools is A+, so he's a different C prospect than a lot of others.

There's as much reason for optimism with Day as most any prospect, even if he's less likely to achieve than others.

An even better way to look at it is to ask the question: Would the Rangers still make the same pick? The answer is a resounding yes. Only picks after 81 that have seen any time in the NHL are Mete (4th round) and Bratt and Maxim (6th).

Add that many Dmen needs years to develop after the draft, why are we so quick to judge? He's improved. He played consistently well in the playoffs. He needs to keep improving, that is the key. He needs that and some time.

• Like 1