• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [D] Sean Day in 3rd Rd (81st) Pick

Phil

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defenseman Sean Day scored a goal and was a plus-3 in Windsor's 7-1 win over Oshawa in the Ontario Hockey League Thursday night.

The 2016 third round pick's 14 goals this season are a career-high, and he has 28 points in 47 games split between Mississauga and Windsor this season.

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-prospect-update-sean-day-gabriel-fontaine/c-286626952

Steady as she goes ... upwards

• 4 weeks later...
Drury echoed those sentiments. He said while Day has always been known as a great skater, that's only one aspect of his game that he's seen take strides since September's training camp, when the Rangers kept Day around longer than nearly all the prospects who were sent back to junior.

"You can't not watch him and not notice how great of a skater he is, but I think he has a lot other skills besides that," Drury said. "He's a big, strong kid that's really only scratched the surface as far as training. He's got to be one of the strongest players in that League. I think the upside in that department is huge."

While Day did not crack a spot on Team USA's roster for this year's World Junior Championship, Drury said that after talking with people from USA Hockey that he fully expects Day to be a strong contender for a spot for next year's tournament in Buffalo.

"I recently saw some USA Hockey World Junior staff members and they have been hearing the same reports around the hockey world as we have in that he's been making strides and developing into a more well-rounded player and is certainly on their radar for next year's tournament."

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-sean-day-becoming-complete-player-in-windsor/c-287508274

"Day was granted exceptional status and allowed to play in the OHL when he was 15 years old, becoming the fourth player (at the time) to be granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada (along with John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad, and Connor McDavid)."

What changed since then? Why did he went from being "as good as" three 1st overall picks to be a 3rd rounder?

In my opinion defenseman develop at a much slower rate. They don't become solid NHlrs until 23-25 years old where as forwards can be effective at 18 (more likely 21-22). I don't think it's a stretch to assume the same applies in juniors?

"Day was granted exceptional status and allowed to play in the OHL when he was 15 years old, becoming the fourth player (at the time) to be granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada (along with John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad, and Connor McDavid)."

What changed since then? Why did he went from being "as good as" three 1st overall picks to be a 3rd rounder?

It just never materialized. And then there was question about whether or not he really even cared/cares about hockey. He was overweight for a while.

He was highly touted mainly for his skating ability, size, and offensive ability due to the first two. The hope was his defensive game would develop to an elite level as well. It didn't.

His defensive game is probably the weakest part of his game - scouting reports indicate he makes bad decisions with and without the puck in all 3 zones.

The good thing is his skating ability is still elite. He's also still humongous - 19 years old and he's 6'3" 230 lbs. He's also got the ability to exit the zone with either his skating or with a good outlet pass. However, the defensive issues still linger and his offensive ability is not all that it was cracked up to be (though he's having a great year this year).

In any case, I'm so glad the Rangers drafted this guy and are moving him along from the CHL where, after 4 years, he can move on to some better competition and see how he does at a higher level. The Rangers needed a diamond in the rough with the dearth of picks they've had in recent years.

He's had some family issues that would really hurt the development of a 17-18 year old.

For one thing, I think he's moved a lot in his life and his mom has lupus which has hospitalized her. But, more directly, his brother got sent to jail for vehicular manslaughter (or whatever Canada's version is) when he was driving drunk and killed a woman. Day has openly said that it impacted him on the ice. He's also been open about how some of the critics for his exceptional status got in his head.

Decent enough article about it: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/ohl-steelheads-exceptional-player-sean-day-opens-up-about-life-off-the-ice/

People forget that players in junior are teenagers and a lot of the stuff that, at times, even gets to NHLers can have a major impact.

Edit...this one is probaly better: http://www.mississauga.com/sports-story/6257825-day-gets-off-ice-struggles-off-his-chest/

“I just wanted to put it out there, not to use it as an excuse, but to let people know that I just turned 18, I’m still a teenager, I have family problems too and I’m not superhuman,” said Day, who is highly coveted because of his size and skating ability, but is often criticized for not meeting the high expectations placed on him.

“I’m just a regular guy and outside of hockey, I have stuff going on that’s more important than hockey. If I have to take time off to go see my brother or my mom, I’m going to do that and not worry about what people have to say about me.”

His parents often come to see him play home games, but Day said his mom hasn’t been able to attend for nearly two months because she’s been in and out of hospital. He said her blood platelets are low, she bruises easily and doctors are concerned about the possibility of internal bleeding if she hits her head, which is why she’s been monitored closely.

“Going through something like that, it’s hard to not think about,” Day said.

“On top of that, my role model is in prison. Obviously it’s tough and I keep saying I don’t want to use it as an excuse, but I always think about it, so it’s tough to not talk about it and I wanted to let it out.”

The kid has caught a lot of flack for seeming disengaged, but he probably deserves a lot of credit for just continuing to play.

• 2 weeks later...
He's had some family issues that would really hurt the development of a 17-18 year old.

For one thing, I think he's moved a lot in his life and his mom has lupus which has hospitalized her. But, more directly, his brother got sent to jail for vehicular manslaughter (or whatever Canada's version is) when he was driving drunk and killed a woman. Day has openly said that it impacted him on the ice. He's also been open about how some of the critics for his exceptional status got in his head.

Decent enough article about it: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/ohl-steelheads-exceptional-player-sean-day-opens-up-about-life-off-the-ice/

People forget that players in junior are teenagers and a lot of the stuff that, at times, even gets to NHLers can have a major impact.

Edit...this one is probaly better: http://www.mississauga.com/sports-story/6257825-day-gets-off-ice-struggles-off-his-chest/

The kid has caught a lot of flack for seeming disengaged, but he probably deserves a lot of credit for just continuing to play.

That's really rough. Def. cut the kid some slack and see what happens down the line.

Brent Burns? Really? Come on, let's bring it down a couple of notches

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain

Yea Burns is ridiculous, he's more like Erik Karlsson lol

He's got an NHL skillset now, if the mental side of the game clicks, he could be up sooner than later.

I was thinking more John Carlson and even that's a stretch, I haven't seen the kid play to make any educated guess

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain

I mean I was kidding around as that's a ridiculous expectation, but in terms of play style he really is similar to Karlsson.

I've seen him compared to Tom Poti, in terms of how he projects, but idk how realistic that is or not.

I mean I was kidding around as that's a ridiculous expectation, but in terms of play style he really is similar to Karlsson.

I've seen him compared to Tom Poti, in terms of how he projects, but idk how realistic that is or not.

How's his purse game?