• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

'American Gods' on Starz

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/american-gods-starz-series-shooting-begins/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1898069/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Anyone else really excited for this? Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors, maybe even my favorite, with 'American Gods' and 'Neverwhere' being two of his best, IMO. 'American Gods' in particular though is a fantastic read, for those who have never dabbled and enjoy the sort of modern fantasy genre.

I don't know much about Starz original programming, so I'm not sure how excited I should get. I can't say I've ever watched one of their original shows. But I LOVED the book, and I'm excited to see where this goes, even if it's a disappointment ultimately.

Really? Why is that? Not trying to be a contentious dick, I'm genuinely curious.

I just don't like his writing style. Granted, I haven't read all of his stuff, but I think he's overly flowery and just uses some kind of lazy techniques for effect. Things like repetitive sentences (Do you X? Do you Y? Do you Z?) and ellipses. On their own, they aren't bad, but together, all of those explicitly stylistic things get annoying. To be honest though, I think it's true for that whole YA fiction genre, he's not the only one like that.

I will say that I think he's very creative, but I really don't like his writing style.

I just don't like his writing style. Granted, I haven't read all of his stuff, but I think he's overly flowery and just uses some kind of lazy techniques for effect. Things like repetitive sentences (Do you X? Do you Y? Do you Z?) and ellipses. On their own, they aren't bad, but together, all of those explicitly stylistic things get annoying. To be honest though, I think it's true for that whole YA fiction genre, he's not the only one like that.

I will say that I think he's very creative, but I really don't like his writing style.

I hear ya. I thoroughly enjoyed Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series, but I swore to myself that if he used the word "palaver" one more time I was gonna set fire to the whole stack. Stuff like that tends to eat away at me. You're right that lazy is the word for it. I can't say I ever had that problem with Gaiman though. Granted I read American Gods in 2008 and Neverwhere in 2010, so my memory's probably not accurate.

I loved the concept of both American Gods and Neverwhere though. Neverwhere in particular was great. The idea that there are all these people that are just forgotten by society and slip through the cracks, and that there's a world where they can be more.

Archived