• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Housing/Apartment Thread

NYRangers92

So my housing option for next year fell through, and now I am stuck trying to find a roommate and apartment by August 1st. Does anyone know any good random roommate search websites? Also apartment listing sites. I use this site called Padmapper that aggregates a few of them but I'm getting close to exhausting my options on it.

So my housing option for next year fell through, and now I am stuck trying to find a roommate and apartment by August 1st. Does anyone know any good random roommate search websites? Also apartment listing sites. I use this site called Padmapper that aggregates a few of them but I'm getting close to exhausting my options on it.

Craigslist.

Seriously though, are you staying in Pitt or coming to NY?

Yeah I'm gonna put one together when I get home from work.

It's also annoying because there have already been 2 separate postings that were nice but when I contacted they only have something entirely different available. Like I found a beautiful 2 bedroom for like 1300 and then the company contacted me and was like "we only have $1400 1 bedrooms available when can you come take a look?". Like come the hell on. I'm searching for a dog and you come up to me and say "well how about this cat?"

It's also annoying because there have already been 2 separate postings that were nice but when I contacted they only have something entirely different available. Like I found a beautiful 2 bedroom for like 1300 and then the company contacted me and was like "we only have $1400 1 bedrooms available when can you come take a look?". Like come the hell on. I'm searching for a dog and you come up to me and say "well how about this cat?"

It's really unbelievable. I've been bent over a barrel with nothing I can do about it during my recent job search and apartment hunt. You have no rights. You don't matter. Play by our rules. Take it or leave it, cunt.

So, you didn't find a beautiful 2 br for 1300 lol

A lot of the stuff on (I assume) Craigslist is going to be spammy like that. It's unfortunate how shitty it is.

Haha Craigslist is actually the only place I've had any semblance of success. The one I was talking about was on the padmapper site that filtered me to a direct contact to the landlord/apartment company.

Housing in this city is such hit or miss because a majority of the housing is so old, and anything built this century is outrageously expensive. Theres so many new apartment buildings going up around the city but the cheapest I've seen is like $900 for a studio in one of them. Rest of them are like pushing $2k/month for small 2 beds. If I wanted to pay that much for housing I'd just move back to New York lol.

Anyone know a good roommate match website that isnt craigslist and doesnt extort you in order to be able to contact another person? Every roommate search site I've come across doesnt let you contact another person unless you pay them money...which I'm not really about to do.

Haha Craigslist is actually the only place I've had any semblance of success. The one I was talking about was on the padmapper site that filtered me to a direct contact to the landlord/apartment company.

Housing in this city is such hit or miss because a majority of the housing is so old, and anything built this century is outrageously expensive. Theres so many new apartment buildings going up around the city but the cheapest I've seen is like $900 for a studio in one of them. Rest of them are like pushing $2k/month for small 2 beds. If I wanted to pay that much for housing I'd just move back to New York lol.

Buddy of mine is living in Shadyside in what seems like an 1850s building. Cheap rent but so freaking old lol.

• 4 months later...
Buddy of mine is living in Shadyside in what seems like an 1850s building. Cheap rent but so freaking old lol.

Yea I always wondered why the rents were so cheap there and after looking at a couple of places I totally understand it now. Good god who actually takes these places? One place actually had water damage on the wall, linoleum ripping off the floors, no closets, used appliances, and was about 400sqft... $1600. I laughed as soon as I walked in, thanked the guy and just left.

So here's my dilemma... found a great apartment. Building allows dogs, just not in the particular aprtment we want to move to. Realtor said he would look the other way on the application. It's a multi story apartment complex.. so we take it and just hope for the best? Other people in the building have dogs I think it would be fairly easy to hide. Any one ever do this?

Yea I always wondered why the rents were so cheap there and after looking at a couple of places I totally understand it now. Good god who actually takes these places? One place actually had water damage on the wall, linoleum ripping off the floors, no closets, used appliances, and was about 400sqft... $1600. I laughed as soon as I walked in, thanked the guy and just left.

So here's my dilemma... found a great apartment. Building allows dogs, just not in the particular aprtment we want to move to. Realtor said he would look the other way on the application. It's a multi story apartment complex.. so we take it and just hope for the best? Other people in the building have dogs I think it would be fairly easy to hide. Any one ever do this?

Are you looking in Pittsburgh?

NYC. Specifically in queens

Oh haha because it sounded like you looked in Pitt based on quoting Ed's post.

I used to live in Forest Hills (in the 90s so it barely counts as this era haha). Parents lived in Briarwood until they got married. Was not a sustainable situation in that apartment for 4 people but mightve been a better option in the long-run monetarily to stay haha.

Oh haha because it sounded like you looked in Pitt based on quoting Ed's post.

I used to live in Forest Hills (in the 90s so it barely counts as this era haha). Parents lived in Briarwood until they got married. Was not a sustainable situation in that apartment for 4 people but mightve been a better option in the long-run monetarily to stay haha.

Where in Forest Hills? I grew up in Rego Park, went to Forest Hills High School.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived