• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Cincinnati Gorilla Incident

Phil

Surprised there's no thread on it.

Long story short, little boy fell into a Gorilla's enclosure in a zoo in Cincinnati and the zoo ended up shooting the gorilla to save the boy.

People are up in arms over it, and there are a lot of animal rights activists furious claiming the boy was never in danger (which is not true, and has been thorougly dismissed by every credible zookeeper and even Jane Goodall).

IMO, they made the right call. It's a tragedy all around, and there are varying degrees of blame to lay, but speaking as a parent, if that were my son, I'd be pleading with anyone to kill the gorilla to save him.

I haven't heard anyone explain why they didn't tranq him.

I read from a Zookeeper in an article earlier that they can't guarantee the sedative would take hold quick enough and accurately enough to not endanger the kid. The initial moment they'd have hit it, it'd have been enraged, and probably would have killed the kid.

She explained that even if you doubled the dose, you could end up killing the gorilla anyway as it might fall face-first in the water and drown, and possibly pin the kid underneath its own body. It was like 400 pounds.

I can't find the quote from the keeper, but this one is from Thane Maynard, the Zoo's director:

One alternative to killing Harambe would have been to shoot him with a sedative. But zoo officials say that would only have made the situation worse. The tranquilizer could have taken up to 10 minutes to work, they said. During that time, the boy would be put in even more danger.

Harambe was "clearly disoriented" and "acting erratically," Cincinnati Zoo director Thane Maynard said Monday at a news conference. While the rest of the gorillas in the enclosure cleared the area after the 4-year-old's fall thanks to special calls made by zookeepers, Harambe did not respond.

A tranquilizer, Maynard said, could have taken up to 10 minutes to take effect, and the pain from the dart would have caused more panic in the animal.

"You can't take a risk with a silverback gorilla," Maynard said. "We're talking about animal that with one hand can take a coconut and crush it."

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-couldnt-they-have-sedated-the-gorilla-who-was-killed-after-a-4-year-old-entered-his-zoo-enclosure-2016-5

66 shootings in Chicago over a weekend (is that even possible?) according to my other Uncle Larry, and all people care about is a fucking ape. Totally emotionally driven drivel.

To be fair, it seems like most people have come to pretty good understanding over it.

I can't find the quote from the keeper, but this one is from Thane Maynard, the Zoo's director:

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-couldnt-they-have-sedated-the-gorilla-who-was-killed-after-a-4-year-old-entered-his-zoo-enclosure-2016-5

Tranq wouldn't work instantly and would agitate the animal.

I read from a Zookeeper in an article earlier that they can't guarantee the sedative would take hold quick enough and accurately enough to not endanger the kid. The initial moment they'd have hit it, it'd have been enraged, and probably would have killed the kid.

She explained that even if you doubled the dose, you could end up killing the gorilla anyway as it might fall face-first in the water and drown, and possibly pin the kid underneath its own body. It was like 400 pounds.

Thanks for clarifying. Didn't realize there would be a period of agitation. Obviously I didn't think the animal would instantly go to sleep, but didn't realize the animal would become enraged.

I don't watch enough Animal Planet or NatGeo, I guess. :rolleyes:

66 shootings in Chicago over a weekend (is that even possible?) according to my other Uncle Larry, and all people care about is a fucking ape. Totally emotionally driven drivel.

To be fair, it seems like most people have come to pretty good understanding over it.

69, according to the tribune - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-shootings-memorial-day-20160530-story.html

The most interesting fall out from this was how many Gorilla posture experts we have in this world

On the internet? Oh, man, yeah. I've read what feels like hundreds of "he was clearly protecting the boy!" comments.

On the internet? Oh, man, yeah. I've read what feels like hundreds of "he was clearly protecting the boy!" comments.

Jane Goodall did say that the Gorilla was protecting him, so can't really argue with that theory. I do agree though that all the arm chair zoologists are annoying.

Jane Goodall did say that the Gorilla was protecting him, so can't really argue with that theory. I do agree though that all the arm chair zoologists are annoying.

I honestly don't think that she can be unbiased enough to be trusted with that sort of thing, if I'm being honest. She's so involved in expressing their humanity that I seriously doubt she could be objective. Might be right, I odn't necessarily disagree with her, but I don't think she can be objective there.

Steve Irwin, fwiw, said they were right to shoot the animal.

I honestly don't think that she can be unbiased enough to be trusted with that sort of thing, if I'm being honest. She's so involved in expressing their humanity that I seriously doubt she could be objective. Might be right, I odn't necessarily disagree with her, but I don't think she can be objective there.

Steve Irwin, fwiw, said they were right to shoot the animal.

She actually said shooting him was the right call though. I don't think she is being objective here, and your not going to get anyone better at discussing a silverbacks actions better than her.

How do so many people have this much time to give a fuck about a gorilla? Is it sad? Yeah, but after a few minutes I have no more fucks to give. Maybe I'm just a douche. It's possible.

Me either. Probably because I eat about 6 cows, 5 pigs and 25 chickens a year. Probably a lamb too.

Archived