Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playoff Thread

Senior Member Bantam Division

Playoff Thread

Congratulations to the Cleveland Cavaliers, your 2015-16 NBA champions!

CONFERENCE FINALS:
    Eastern Conference:
    (1) Cleveland Cavaliers 4-2 Toronto Raptors (2)

Western Conference:
    (1) Golden State Warriors 4-3 Oklahoma City Thunder (3)

SECOND ROUND:
    Eastern Conference:
    (1) Cleveland Cavaliers 4-0 Atlanta Hawks (4)
    (2) Toronto Raptors 4-3 Miami Heat (3)

Western Conference:
    (1) Golden State Warriors 4-1 Portland Trailblazers (5)
    (2) San Antonio Spurs 2-4 Oklahoma City Thunder (3)

FIRST ROUND:
    Eastern Conference:
    (1) Cleveland Cavaliers 4-0 Detroit Pistons (8)
    (2) Toronto Raptors 4-3 Indiana Pacers (7)
    (3) Miami Heat 4-3 Charlotte Hornets (6)
    (4) Atlanta Hawks 4-2 VS Boston Celtics (5)

Western Conference:
    (1) Golden State Warriors 4-1 Houston Rockets (8)
    (2) San Antonio Spurs 4-0 Memphis Grizzlies (7)
    (3) Oklahoma City Thunder 4-1 Dallas Mavericks (6)
    (4) Los Angeles Clippers 2-4 Portland Trailblazers (5)

----------------------------------------------------
    Obviously I am rooting for the Raptors, but I really think they will make it to at least the Eastern Conference Finals. Lots of criticism, by fans, media, myself included, about their playoff performances (two first round exits previous two seasons, including a series sweep by the Wizards), so I just want to take it one series at a time. But the Raptors are a completely different team, and have filled the holes to their game that resulted in two early exits in the playoffs. Finished the season only 1 game behind the "team to beat" in the East, Cleveland, and have a winning record against every Eastern Playoff team, and the second best record in the league against +.500 teams (after GSW)

Most of the series look clear-cut, the imbalance between the top teams and bottom teams is crazy. GSW, Spurs, OKC all predicted to have easy wins in the West (Although I wouldn't count Dallas out, but OKC just has too many options). Cavs and Raptors predicted to win comfortably (although there are very few naysayers on the Raptors side).

Most exciting (as in competitive) series will probably be at in the east, with Hawks/Celtics and Heat/Hornets. The lack of playoff experience does put Celtics and Hornets at the disadvantage, but don't count them out. Hornets have made a complete 180 this season, and went from a no-shooting team to a decent 3pt shooting team. If they get it going, they can be a threat to the Heat. The Heat's major rim defender is Hassan Whiteside, but with Hornets shooting abilities, it might require him to stretch the floor and play more towards the perimeter, leaving the lane open to penetrate for the Hornets. The Celtics and Hawks are a defensive matchup. Celtics have stability through their bench, and have a great coach. The Hawks big men (Horford and Millsap) will be the biggest problem for the Celtics, but this should be a good matchup as well.
    Don't let the standings in the East fool you, teams 3-6 all finished with the same record.

If I was going to predict an upset in the West, I'd say the Trailblazers have the greatest chance (although I wouldn't bet on it). But if their backcourt, Lilliard and McCollum, can't get it going, then it's over for them. Where LAC has the advantage is on the inside, Portland has no good answer for two of the great big men in the league, Blake Griffin and Deandre Jordan. LAC's backcourt of Chris Paul and JJ Reddick also neutralizes Portland's.

LET'S GO RAPTORS.

Which matchups are you excited to see or which team are you rooting for?
    Last edited by Faiz; 06-20-2016 at 01:41 AM.

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Its pretty my set in the NBA,not even close it will be Golden State vs Cleveland ,with golden State winning ,all right I will mention San Antonio, but thats pretty much the teams that have any chance of winning the title,forget about the east
    Last edited by lefty9; 04-15-2016 at 09:56 AM.

His name is... BSBH Prospect
    The Finals will pretty much be decided by whoever wins the Western Conference final series, and that series is clearly going to be GS vs. the Spurs.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Lowry was so bad today it was tough to watch.

Lowry was better today, DD too, but still shooting horribly. DeMar looked like he had it going until the second half. Raptors bench has been great, CoJo and Patterson especially. JV has been a monster, they have no solution for him and can't rebound over him so end up fouling him a lot, and he has a decent FT.

Today's game was huge, Demarre Carroll off the minutes restriction, hit a few 3s, got 17 points and played some great off-ball and on-ball D on PG13. He was playing like he did with the Hawks last season in the playoffs, was taking it to the rim hard and being an extra option for Pacers to worry about.

Anyways, did anyone just watch the Rockets-GSW game, it was amazing. Went down till the end, Rockets were leading most of the way till the end when it got close. Rockets up 1, turn it over off the inbound, Ian Clarke gets the layup and GSW goes up 1. Harden takes it up court with no timeouts, puts it in with 3 seconds left.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Good win by your Raptors. They're slowly restoring my confidence that they will be the ones to take on the Cavs. Miami seems to be the new hot team right now to do this and while they have been good I just don't see it

Yeah, I hope so too but it's not looking good. I'm still confident about the first round, but without Lowry and DeRozan contributing at their usual level, it'll be tough.
    They've had poor shooting this series, but you gotta give credit where it's due, George Hill and Paul George are playing great D. Aside from that though, there's missed free throws and open looks and a lack of confidence that they usually have right now, which I hope comes back.

If Raps get passed this round, playing Miami/Charlotte I would expect Klow and DD to play better if it hasn't happened by then due to favorable match-ups, but it's still worrisome cause of our recent playoff history, really hope they get back into it by the end of this series, hopefully for tomorrow's game.

Also, updated some of the match-ups in the original post.

Steph Curry got injured yesterday, slipped on the court and fell awkwardly on his right knee. Sort of jogged off the court during the game and came back out beginning of second half, but went back before the start of the 3rd. MRI today confirmed Grade 1 MCL Sprain out 2 weeks.

Today during the Clippers and Trailblazers game Chris Paul went for a swipe at the ball and received a third metacarpal fracture on his right hand. Doc Rivers during the interview said he'd be reevaluated tomorrow.

Terrible luck for two elite PGs in two days. Blake Griffin also looked like he injured his quad during the game but came back in the 4th but didn't play much.

Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    4th Q of the Raptor game was totally insane. I had completely written them off.

Paul George just utterly dominating otherwise.

Celtics just lost the series 4-2 to Atlanta Hawks. Great series by the young Celtics, hardly any of them had any playoff experience. Brad Stevens is a hell of a coach, got them through their first playoff series prepared.

With the picks they have, (finished 5th in the standings and had a playoff position, and still have ~16% chance of #1 pick), and the cap space available to them, they're going to be a legitimate contender in the near future. I'm sure they're going to make a run at Horford this off season or another stretch big to fill in one of their needs.

They should feel everything but disappointed by this season.

Second Round Matchups so far (will update original post when complete):
    EAST:
    (1) Cleveland Cavaliers VS Atlanta Hawks (4) - Rematch of last season's ECF.

WEST:
    (2) San Antonio Spurs VS Oklahoma City (3) - First game Saturday April 30th, 8:30PM EST on TNT
    Last edited by Faiz; 04-28-2016 at 11:55 PM.

Yesterday's Raps game was brutal, still not over it.

Tonight Spurs-OKC is a huge match-up. Gonna be an amazing series.

EDIT: Spurs are too fucking good, came out in game 1 with a bang. Up by 29 right now.
    Last edited by Faiz; 04-30-2016 at 10:12 PM.

37 point lead for the Spurs, LMA is going to work on OKC.

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    I'm in OKC right now. This town is obsessed with them and yet... the get-in price on Stubhub for last night's game was $60. I didn't go, because I really don't care enough about pro hoops, but that seemed cheap to me.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

Depends where you are around the league, for example, Indiana Pacers tickets were reselling starting at $20-40. Over here in Toronto, tickets are crazy expensive (around $200 for the cheapest ones in the second round), they were cheaper in the first round but still expensive relatively. MLSE priced everyone out this round in my opinion, people are reselling for below face value because people aren't buying them.

I like the atmosphere those ticket prices bring though, too many white collar spectators who refuse to put on the playoffs t-shirts over their suits. Toronto's crowd has a mixture of shirts and no shirts on so they don't look as one, but if you take a look at OKC, there's hardly anyone without their playoff shirts on and the crowd looks amazing.

You should check out a basketball game sometime, if it's a good game it's a great experience. Although I must admit I prefer watching hockey live compared to any other sport. I went to many ball games before my first hockey game, and I was amazed by how much better it was live.
    Last edited by Faiz; 05-07-2016 at 05:34 PM.

So happy to see "Lowry time" again (him taking over the 4th quarter). Great win by the Raps.

Dame went off today, 40 points-10 assists-8 rebounds, 2 rebounds shy of a triple double. Now trail GSW by only one game.

Game 7, Raptors VS Heat today. This is the most important game in Raptors franchise, pretty nervous.

LET'S GO RAPTORS.

Raptors with the HUGE win over Cleveland, OKC just destroying GSW yesterday, winning by 41 at one point. Damn, if that's not a statement I don't know what is. The last two days of basketball have been amazing.
    Last edited by Faiz; 05-24-2016 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Typo

Senior Member Bantam Division paddynyc's Avatar
    The OKC win last night was unexpected, not the win, but the margin of victory
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Cavs Cleveland is actually entertaining contest tonight.

Cats were written off but they finally made the adjustment. Will it last?
    Cavs 55 GS 50
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    Cavs Cleveland is actually entertaining contest tonight.

Cats were written off but they finally made the adjustment. Will it last?
    Cavs 55 GS 50
    I thought it would be entertaining, but at the ending it was just horrible. GSW pulled away, and it just wasn't intense. I thought it would go down to the last minute obviously.
    I respect the hell out of LeBron but that stat padding at the ending of the game was just so sad to watch. The team literally stopped even attempting 3s, LeBron just kept driving in and padding his stats. Added I believe 6 (or around there) points to his stats in the last 1-2 minutes.

It was interesting though, LeBron seemed to be losing his cool. Getting into scuffles/trash talking, seemed very out of character. But then again, we don't know what was said by who that led to it.

You'd think the two #1 seeds facing off would be a lot more intense. Last time that happened was in 2008, Lakers VS Celtics (Celtics won). That was such a great series.
    Last edited by Faiz; 06-12-2016 at 12:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast