• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is a Hot Dog a Sandwich?

Patrick Bateman

according to a press release made by the national hot dog and sausage council, it is not.

source - http://www.hot-dog.org/press/national-hot-dog-and-sausage-council-announces-official-policy-%E2%80%98hot-dog-sandwich%E2%80%99-controversy

Limiting the hot dog’s significance by saying it’s ‘just a sandwich’ is like calling the Dalai Lama ‘just a guy.’ Perhaps at one time its importance could be limited by forcing it into a larger sandwich category (no disrespect to Reubens and others), but that time has passed, said NHDSC President and ‘Queen of Wien’ Janet Riley.

Not unless the bread breaks in half. A sandwich is meat or contents pressed between two separate pieces of bread.

And I don't want to hear the "what about Subway?" response. Failure to cut bread properly, as it's intended to be cut, doesn't make their subs not sandwiches.

Not unless the bread breaks in half. A sandwich is meat or contents pressed between two separate pieces of bread.

And I don't want to hear the "what about Subway?" response. Failure to cut bread properly, as it's intended to be cut, doesn't make their subs not sandwiches.

dude, they stopped doing this like 10 years ago, no exaggeration.

The only way a hot dog is a sandwich is if you buy the extended definition added to dictionaries like the American Heritage dictionary that add in a line about "or a partly split long or round roll containing a filling".

In that case, then yes. But in the traditional definition, no. The term sandwich requires independent pieces of bread. Just like how it's used pragmatically elsewhere when not describing food. Like say three cars get into an accident. the middle car is sandwiched... between two independent cars. If a large car somehow wrapped around a smaller one, we'd say the smaller was "pinched", or "encased" or some other term.

dude' date=' they stopped doing this like 10 years ago, no exaggeration.[/quote']

Every Subway I still go to cuts into just one side of the bread and spreads it open, like a hot dog bun.

The Subway by my childhood home used to do this "V" cut thing, where they'd cut from the top of the sub a "V" shape out of it, so you had an independent top.

Archived