• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Is Cereal Soup?

Phil

I'll assume you mean cereal in milk. The answer is no. Broth and Milk aren't the same nor is what is added to the broth or milk.

The broth in soup is a mixture of water, herbs and spices along with the flavoring from the combination of other whole ingredients such as meat and/or vegetables. Sometimes these whole ingredients are left in the broth and that makes the soup. Other times, some of these ingredients are removed, while others such as pasta, meat or other vegetables are added to the broth to make soup. This mixture is cooked, often for long periods of time, before serving. Soup can also be canned or frozen and then eaten a period of time later after reheating.

Cereal on the other hand are grains mixed with other ingredients which is then added to milk just prior to consumption. There is no cooking, there is no canning, there is no freezing for later.

I mean, you eat them both with a spoon, but that's as close as they get.

I'll assume you mean cereal in milk. The answer is no. Broth and Milk aren't the same nor is what is added to the broth or milk.

The broth in soup is a mixture of water, herbs and spices along with the flavoring from the combination of other whole ingredients such as meat and/or vegetables. Sometimes these whole ingredients are left in the broth and that makes the soup. Other times, some of these ingredients are removed, while others such as pasta, meat or other vegetables are added to the broth to make soup. This mixture is cooked, often for long periods of time, before serving. Soup can also be canned or frozen and then eaten a period of time later after reheating.

Cereal on the other hand are grains mixed with other ingredients which is then added to milk just prior to consumption. There is no cooking, there is no canning, there is no freezing for later.

I mean, you eat them both with a spoon, but that's as close as they get.

That's how I see it. Kind of like calling Pimento Loaf a bread.

Cereal isn't soup to me only because soup requires boiling, or at the very least requires that all/most of the ingredients are put in at once to create the final product. Cereal is food that has liquid poured on it, or often doesn't, so it's not soup.

Cereal isn't soup to me only because soup requires boiling, or at the very least requires that all/most of the ingredients are put in at once to create the final product. Cereal is food that has liquid poured on it, or often doesn't, so it's not soup.

Gespacho is cold soup.

So are you saying cereal is closer to being salad? bunch of ingredients in a bowl with a liquid poured over it

why does cereal have to be a salad or a soup?

why can't it just be cereal?

there is an assumption that "cereal" means "in a bowl with milk poured on top" but that's not always accurate. people eat dry cereal.

BSBH - getting to the real issues.

why does cereal have to be a salad or a soup?

why can't it just be cereal?

there is an assumption that "cereal" means "in a bowl with milk poured on top" but that's not always accurate. people eat dry cereal.

BSBH - getting to the real issues.

Bravo.

So are you saying cereal is closer to being salad? bunch of ingredients in a bowl with a liquid poured over it

Nope. Because cereal is often eaten dry, and not with milk. The milk is like dressing to a salad. While it's not common, salads can also be eaten without dressing.

But it's closer to salad than it is soup, yes. It's just not either.

You can have turkey without gravy, you can't have cereal.

When you eat cereal dry, it's basically just chips or cookies, depending on the brand.

you poor, naive soul.

eating dry cereal from the box in your underwear watching cartoons is the american dream. don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Eating it dry doesnt make it not cereal. It's still cereal. Turkey without gravy is still turkey.

:repped:

you poor, naive soul.

eating dry cereal from the box in your underwear watching cartoons is the american dream. don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

lol, I'm not saying I've never done it. I've put down some Frosted Flakes in my day. But that's more like eating cookies than it is the whole cereal experience

Archived