• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Looking To Possibly Buy A House on LI

Blue Heaven

:banghead:

B/c of certain circumstances I may be forced to move out of the house im currently living in and really my only option is to move and look for a house on Long Island. Not looking forward to it since A. I dread the LIRR and the extra expense it will be for me to get to/from work. B. A longer commute. C. Higher taxes D. Pain in the ass to do things in the city.

For those that live on Long Island, what are some good parts and that has good schools? Only looking in Nassau county. You can already eliminate Great Neck, Manhasset, and all those bougie towns.

I would be a first time buyer so what financial mumbo jumbo should I know? I guess it kind of sucks the Feds increased interest rates .25% yesterday.

:banghead:

B/c of certain circumstances I may be forced to move out of the house im currently living in and really my only option is to move and look for a house on Long Island. Not looking forward to it since A. I dread the LIRR and the extra expense it will be for me to get to/from work. B. A longer commute. C. Higher taxes D. Pain in the ass to do things in the city.

For those that live on Long Island, what are some good parts and that has good schools? Only looking in Nassau county. You can already eliminate Great Neck, Manhasset, and all those bougie towns.

I would be a first time buyer so what financial mumbo jumbo should I know? I guess it kind of sucks the Feds increased interest rates .25% yesterday.

Housing buying, on Long Island in Nassau Co. in a good school district. That'll cost ya. What it your target price range on a house. Don't forget to throw in 10-15 thousand per year on taxes.

Definitely will be buying a house as opposed to an apartment?

Yeah, wife, kid, dog, in an apartment wouldn't really work, and what I would have to spend for an apartment in Queens I could use that $$$ towards a mortgage on LI and I will have a backyard.

I don't even know what I would be approved for, that discussion will come in a couple of weeks when we head to a credit union to talk about it. Ideally I wouldn't want a house that is north of $350,000 and I don't even know if I could afford that unless my parents help us. The house I live in now I put in about $20,000-$25,000 into it and thats a big chunk of $$$ that I could have put towards a down payment.

• 3 weeks later...
Apparently I could afford a house that is in the $440,000 range IF I didnt have to eat, and have any other fucking bills. So in reality I could afford a house that is about $300,000 which does not exist unless I want to live in the worst parts of Long Island.

Start strippin

Apparently I could afford a house that is in the $440,000 range IF I didnt have to eat, and have any other fucking bills. So in reality I could afford a house that is about $300,000 which does not exist unless I want to live in the worst parts of Long Island.

I think they call that "The Homeowners' Diet"

Housing buying, on Long Island in Nassau Co. in a good school district. That'll cost ya. What it your target price range on a house. Don't forget to throw in 10-15 thousand per year on taxes.

This. Nassau taxes are expensive, Suffolk is a little cheaper. If you have to take the LIRR, Babylon is the rime place to look. Its on the Nassau/Suffolk border, and if you buy a house in the village of Babylon, you can get the parking permit for the LIRR, and they have a ton of trains, both local and express, out of Babylon. The school district s good, and Babylon is a nice town. Im in West Babylon, and I work in Manhattan, it takes me about an hour to drive in, as long as I don't hit traffic, and a train ride if you catch an express is about an hour, hour 20 if its a local. When I bought my house, we looked in Nassau, and the property taxes were killers, Suffolk wasn't as bad. Look on the south shore as well, its cheaper, and you have more trains, the Babylon line is one of the main lines, and is fairly busy where they have 2 to 3 trains during off peak hours and tons of trains for ear hours.

This. Nassau taxes are expensive, Suffolk is a little cheaper. If you have to take the LIRR, Babylon is the rime place to look. Its on the Nassau/Suffolk border, and if you buy a house in the village of Babylon, you can get the parking permit for the LIRR, and they have a ton of trains, both local and express, out of Babylon. The school district s good, and Babylon is a nice town. Im in West Babylon, and I work in Manhattan, it takes me about an hour to drive in, as long as I don't hit traffic, and a train ride if you catch an express is about an hour, hour 20 if its a local. When I bought my house, we looked in Nassau, and the property taxes were killers, Suffolk wasn't as bad. Look on the south shore as well, its cheaper, and you have more trains, the Babylon line is one of the main lines, and is fairly busy where they have 2 to 3 trains during off peak hours and tons of trains for ear hours.

Yeah, I've heard many shit on Suffolk...especially the south shore but their are "some" quality towns/school districts across south shore Suffolk. You have multiple train line options to the city like you've said. I know where I grew up (11752) is still a respectable town and school district. Homes in the 300-400K range (taxes approaching 10K). I could hop on a train from C.I. or Great River and be in NYC within an hour.

Like I've said before my days on LI are long gone. I'd never want to return personally but for those looking on LI Suffolk surely has some good options. It just would take an extensive amount of research to nail down those good deals.

Yeah, I've heard many shit on Suffolk...especially the south shore but their are "some" quality towns/school districts across south shore Suffolk. You have multiple train line options to the city like you've said. I know where I grew up (11752) is still a respectable town and school district. Homes in the 300-400K range (taxes approaching 10K). I could hop on a train from C.I. or Great River and be in NYC within an hour.

Like I've said before my days on LI are long gone. I'd never want to return personally but for those looking on LI Suffolk surely has some good options. It just would take an extensive amount of research to nail down those good deals.

If I didnt work in the city I would consider Suffolk Co. but im pissed off as it is im probably going to have to commute from Nassau county. I dont want to have to spend 3 hours a day traveling to/from work.

If I didnt work in the city I would consider Suffolk Co. but im pissed off as it is im probably going to have to commute from Nassau county. I dont want to have to spend 3 hours a day traveling to/from work.

Depending on where you live though, it my only be a 10 minute difference. You can look in West Babylon, Lindenhurst, Babylon and West Islip and still not have a bad commute. Like I said earlier, it only takes me an hour to drive into Manhattan from my house, as long as there are no accidents or major backups. I can leave my house by 555 in the morning and be at work by 6. LIRR has a ton of options. Babylon you have to pay to park if you don't live in the village, but even paying isn't too bad, its a quarter an hour if you park at the meters or they have pay lots as well. Its an hour 20 to Babylon from Penn if you take a local, but most trains during rush hour are some type of express on the Babylon line, and you'll be home in an hour tops. Houses and taxes are also a lot cheaper than Nassau. The good area's of Nassau are expensive. South Shore you have the Massapequa's, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore and Merrick. Outside of those towns, anything close to the LIRR isn't that great. I don't know too much of the Nrth Shore, but the more north you go, north of the LIE, the more your paying for everything.

Depending on where you live though, it my only be a 10 minute difference. You can look in West Babylon, Lindenhurst, Babylon and West Islip and still not have a bad commute. Like I said earlier, it only takes me an hour to drive into Manhattan from my house, as long as there are no accidents or major backups. I can leave my house by 555 in the morning and be at work by 6. LIRR has a ton of options. Babylon you have to pay to park if you don't live in the village, but even paying isn't too bad, its a quarter an hour if you park at the meters or they have pay lots as well. Its an hour 20 to Babylon from Penn if you take a local, but most trains during rush hour are some type of express on the Babylon line, and you'll be home in an hour tops. Houses and taxes are also a lot cheaper than Nassau. The good area's of Nassau are expensive. South Shore you have the Massapequa's, Seaford, Wantagh, Bellmore and Merrick. Outside of those towns, anything close to the LIRR isn't that great. I don't know too much of the Nrth Shore, but the more north you go, north of the LIE, the more your paying for everything.

This is the general area we are looking.

My brother did the Islip to Manhattan thing from 1998-2003 then couldn't take it anymore. But, that was before iPhones, wifi etc. I bet he could get alot of work (emails, reports, etc.) done on commutes these days. Obviously that aspect depends on what type of work one does.

I know guys that love their commutes. An hour to themselves with their iPad and a few beers

I used to take the train to work everyday, but now if I drive, I am home earlier, but it was the best sleep I got. I would get on the train, I was the second stop so the train was empty, and once the conductor checked my ticket I was out until I pulled into Penn. Going home was harder because I didn't want to miss my stop,so I would actually get to read a book or listen to my iPod, or come on here through my phone. I loved the train, unless there was snow, but now my train leaves at 1135, and I don't get out of work until 1100, subway comes between 1105-1110, and its a 20 minute subway ride to Penn from me, so if there is a slight delay, I just miss my train at night and I get pissed. Plus, taking the train at night I am home at 130 and if I drive I am home by 1200.

Archived