Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 New York Mets Thread

Senior Member Junior Division

2016 New York Mets Thread

Figured I'd start this bad boy up since the Winter Meetings have been ongoing now for a few days. Alittle over 100 days until Opening Day for the defending NL Champs. LETS GO METS!

Mets acquire 2B Neil Walker from Pittsburgh in exchange for LHP Jonathon Niese.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25407683

Love the trade for the Mets. Walker is a very solid defensive 2B, much more so than Murphy ever was or will be. He also is a switch hitter who brings some pop to the table. After losing out on Zobrist, this works out for the Mets well. The money between Niese and Walker are virtually a wash, so the Mets get their 2B to replace Murphy without really having to dip into their offseason money. Now reports are that the Mets will try hard to re-sign Colon for a year to be their No. 5 starter until Wheeler comes back around mid-season.

All in all, while losing out on Zobrist may have sucked, this looks to be a very solid Plan B for the Mets. Walker is a good player.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Good deal and he's younger. That was my one gripe with Zobrist...age
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Yeah. Walkers deal is only for 1 more year. Gives Herrera one more year to work in AAA.

Solid move.

Clean Slate, Grab It! NYR BSBH Prospect
    Great deal, love Walker. Switch-hitter, better defender than Murphy. Overall, a great move.

Yep. And doesn't really effect payroll since the money is a wash with these cheap fucks. We're trading a spare part for a good hitting, switch hitting second baseman who is a better fielder than anyone we've had.

Mets now also reportedly finalizing a deal with SS Asdrubal Cabrera.

https://twitter.com/AdamRubinESPN/st...75578445275136

Great day for the Mets, IMO. Needed a new middle of the infield, and completed it in 1 day. Cabrera is a great pickup, and Walker-for-Niese was a great trade.

Still need another big bat to replace Cespedes, but who knows? If his demands drop and he remains out there awhile with no market, who knows if the Mets look into him again?

Awesome. Two very good moves so far and sures of defense up the middle. Love what they've done so far. Now get me Upton or Cespedes and we're set!

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Cabrera is one of the worst defensive SS's in baseball fwiw, but will Mets trade Flores now? I'd be interested in him. Seems he or Tejada have to go.

He played better defense later in the season for the Rays and what he lacked in the field, he made up for at the plate, in the second-half. He has a gold glove under his belt, I have more confidence in him than in Flores at short. I don't think they move Flores, I expect Wright to be hurt by mid-May, so Flores will play more 3B with Cabrera at SS, Walker at 2B and Duda at 1B.

He doesn't have a gold glove. I'm not saying it's a bad signing because he does bring good offense, but if you follow sabermetrics or advanced stats at all, they show him as literally the worst defensive SS in baseball for like the past four seasons. His UZR is atrocious.
    Last edited by TwoMinutesForNothing; 12-09-2015 at 10:10 PM.

I thought he did with the Indians? I could be wrong. I know he had solid seasons back in 2011 and 2012. Also, i'm not sabremetric smart, so I wouldn't know how to look at those stats. Lol

This is from the one year he actually got nominated for a gold glove, which was a joke.

http://wahoosonfirst.com/2011/11/02/...ve-gold-glove/

A more objective look at his range shows that Cabrera really doesn’t cover much ground. Ultimate Zone Rating, the most popular sabermetric fielding statistic, has him at -11.8 runs for the 2011 season—i.e., Indians pitchers gave up about 12 more runs with Cabrera in the field than they would have with an average defensive shortstop. That’s not just a little bit below-average: it’s the single worst mark by any MLB shortstop this year. A player with a -11.8 UZR is more deserving of having his glove requisitioned than gilded. I’m not actually saying he should be moved to DH, but when considering his worthiness for the Gold Glove, think about the fact that UZR had him as the third-worst fielder in the league (after Mark Reynolds and Felix Pie) in 2011.
    He has actually declined a bit more since. I think most teams saw him as a 2nd baseman at this point, which is why this move surprised me a bit. His offense does give some nice advanced stats grades and he is still a positive WAR player despite the defense though, so it's not the worst signing.

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    He was -7 runs saved last year. He's pretty bad defensively, but he's not a tire fire. His bat is iffy for me. Good enough for a SS I guess. You could do worse.

Walker I like. Pretty good return on Niese.

Either way, I like it. Wanted him last season, i'm glad they got him this time around.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Really like the Walker trade. Versatile player who defensively should be night and day over Murphy.

now they just need one more outfield bat, and of course some bullpen alterations

If the market for Cespedes winds up sucking and the Mets find a way to bring him back, and they sign some bullpen help, they will have very few holes. Sick rotation, long lineup, good pen.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Yea I would him a shot, but according the Tom Verducci of Fox he says that even if the Cespedes market dries up that the Mets have no interest in bringing him back.

I see it from both sides. He was the catalyst of last years run and for that I would like to see him again, but on the flip he was invisible in the latter part of the playoffs and world series and there are some outfield issues with him, tracking down balls, hustle, etc

I'd call it a long shot for sure. I just think this lineup still needs another bar; a powerful bat. And he fit perfectly because he was a righty and he could play centerfield. As of now, if sounds like they're hot for guys like Span to platoon with Lagares, which is fine. It's just that there's really no big time thunder in the lineup. Yeah, it may be more well rounded and they're counting on Conforto, which is fine. I love Conforto. I would just like to see more bag in the lineup. And seeing as how centerfield is still alittle iffy and most of our power is coming from the left side, he still is, theoretically, a fit here. But we'll see what else happens.

Ideally, I'd love to swing a trade for Frazier from Cincy. He could play first, or hell you can even move Wright there. But there are too many moving parts. You'd have to find a taker for Duda (who knows? Maybe the extra reliever you're looking for). Duda is just wildly inconsistent. He will carry the planet on his shoulders for 2 separate spans of 2.5 weeks a year where most if not all of his damage will occur and then be a ghost the rest of the year.

Frazier is a righty bat with pop, consistent pop, which we need. I'd say that's an even greater long shot than Cespedes, but that's something I'd love to see happen.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast